advice sought, turntables $10-20k

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Keep in mind the motus I recommend is the II, suspended DD, which is good value for money. Also I don’t know what inflation has done to its price since 2018.

the other good value is the Feickert Firebird.

Brinkmann or AF3p etc will be better than them but you are going up in price
Fair enough. The Motus that I got, mint at a very good used price, is non-suspended. I figured I could get some isolation through a platform. But I'm sure the II is great and can see why many might prefer it.

Agree that the Feickert tables look great.

And I would've loved to have got a Stabi R. I saw one at Common Wave in LA and thought it really looked the business, but I really only buy secondhand, and the Stabi R, being newer, rarely comes up.

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
For the low cost you should try a ViV with the AF5.
Huh. Wild-looking arms. Will look into them.

Right now, for rolling some vintage, high-compliance MM carts, I'm looking at:

--SME Series III
--SME Series II Improved
--Denon DA-401
--SUPATRAC (9" version)

I'm not looking to blow much money on this additional arm, tbh, and I'll probably end up with either the SME II Improved or the Denon, as they have interchangeable head shells. Mostly just looking for a low cost but solid arm to have some fun with these low VTF MMs.

I'm otherwise content with the 4 Point 14 and the CB-1L as my go-to arms and the GrooveMaster and Jelcos for SPUs and DL103(R) fun.

Reactions: mtemur

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
but I really only buy secondhand, and the Stabi R, being newer, rarely comes up.
I noticed a beautiful looking Stabi R Wood listed for sale on another forum for $7K.

I heard the Stabi R Wood at AXPONA last year using the Kuzma Ref 313VTA arm and I thought it sounded really nice.

I'm considering either the J Sikora Ref or the Standard Max for my next table. If I decide against spending the cash for the Sikora, I would then consider the Stabi R Wood for a great deal less money, and I think I would still be very happy.

Best wishes,
Don

Reactions: mtemur

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Huh. Wild-looking arms. Will look into them.

Right now, for rolling some vintage, high-compliance MM carts, I'm looking at:

--SME Series III
--SME Series II Improved
--Denon DA-401
--SUPATRAC (9" version)

I'm not looking to blow much money on this additional arm, tbh, and I'll probably end up with either the SME II Improved or the Denon, as they have interchangeable head shells. Mostly just looking for a low cost but solid arm to have some fun with these low VTF MMs.

I'm otherwise content with the 4 Point 14 and the CB-1L as my go-to arms and the GrooveMaster and Jelcos for SPUs and DL103(R) fun.
ViV is not for high compliance MM but for your low compliance carts you’d likely find it better than your other arms.

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
ViV is not for high compliance MM but for your low compliance carts you’d likely find it better than your other arms.
I see. I took the recommendation as applying to the MM carts I mentioned.

But I see now that the damping is for high compliance. Could be interesting. I'm reasonably content with what I have for arms currently--save for a low effective mass arm--but always glad to have interesting stuff on the radar.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing