Power amp - where to go from here...

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Thanks howie! Orpheus is not really known and represented here. And it relates to my goal for purchasing a known and trade-able brand. As I’ll be buying blindly.
Yeah I thought as much!

Reactions: MJB

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Then you should go dagostino. Keep in mind symphonic line is much lower cost and can be sold off, so your trade loss might be lower. In terms of sound it is very similar to Luxman with more speed. Lots of power and drive, similar tonally, class A type sound. Full bodied tone.

Reactions: MJB

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
To the OP:

Perhaps it'd be better if you disclosed what speakers you're getting :)
It'd definitely help.

Reactions: KeithR

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks a lot for the detailed info!
So, Boulder has a sweet tone?
I’ve heard that Gryphon are more on the linear/neutral side, is that right? What about the Antileon EVO? The Mephisto is way off budget.
Boulder has the ability to deliver the intense depth of note as a violin soars...which has an intensity/sweetness to it. however, the overall impression one gets from Boulder 2000 series is not as 'sweet' as Gryphon or probably your Luxman.

As for Antileon Evo, i have heard great things about it...i have owned the original Antileon, Colosseum and now Mephisto. If you are willing to go for Mephisto 2nd hand, you might be able to get it at your budget if you look hard enough.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
To the OP:

Perhaps it'd be better if you disclosed what speakers you're getting :)
It'd definitely help.
Soon :) I believe they'll be a bit more colored in tone than the Magicos, but can be similarly hard to drive.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
At 30k (euro) I could get you one of the best systems I have heard, in the top 4 to 7 depending on what one values, it will be a big horn plus pre and power. If you don't like it I will buy it from you in two years for 20k. Deal is open to anybody. Plays classical, rock, and jazz with aplomb

Reactions: gian60

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
At 30k (euro) I could get you one of the best systems I have heard, in the top 4 to 7 depending on what one values, it will be a big horn plus pre and power. If you don't like it I will buy it from you in two years for 20k. Deal is open to anybody. Plays classical, rock, and jazz with aplomb
:) How big? Big horns do not fit in my listening space.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
:) How big? Big horns do not fit in my listening space.

Well then, it won't work. Approx 1m wide and deep, plays better if pulled out but can go back to wall and roughly 5 feet tall I guess.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Well then, it won't work. Approx 1m wide and deep, plays better if pulled out but can go back to wall and roughly 5 feet tall I guess.
Yep, that’s huge. Just out of curiosity what are those horns?

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Adding to the list the Boulder 1161, the smaller brother of the 1160. Anyone know how they compare? Is the 1161 powerful enough?

And the Audia Flight Strumento no. 4 mk2. Any love for those? Are they in the detailed/neutral camp? They seem to be quite powerful (500W @ 4ohms, 900W @ 2ohms).

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Ok, what system?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The decision should be also driven from your preferred source. The VAC is a full symmetrical PreAmp. If your source is also full symmetrical, it will make sense, if the Amp is it as well. So all Single Ended Amps would be out
(at least for me).

I tried several amplifiers to drive my Wilson Speakers, incl Boulder 1060, CHP A1, Grandinote Demone, VTL S-400 and to my surprise the Jeff Rowland 825 is by far the best match.

I heard the JRDG 825 at the dealer with Magico speakers and compared the amp with Goldmund Telos 2500. Again the 825 was more close to my expectations.

As the Rowland 825 should be within your price range, you might incl this amplifier into your considerations.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Adding to the list the Boulder 1161, the smaller brother of the 1160. Anyone know how they compare? Is the 1161 powerful enough?

And the Audia Flight Strumento no. 4 mk2. Any love for those? Are they in the detailed/neutral camp? They seem to be quite powerful (500W @ 4ohms, 900W @ 2ohms).
I've heard my friend's previous Strumento No.4 & new No.8 mono's driving his Marten Coltrane 3's several times. They are lovely sounding amps, powerful, well controlled, yet natural and musical (warm). They're also very well built & weigh a tonne! If you could swing it, the No.8 mono's are quite a step up from the power amp in terms of overall musicality and ease.

I've heard the Boulder 1160 many times before. That amp sounds natural and neutral, with a nice musical flow which was missing from the 1060 (which sounded a bit dry in comparison). Imho the Boulder needs some tubes in the mix to add a little warmth & dimensionality, so it might be a good option with your Vac preamp. If you were looking for a warmer, more laid back presentation i'd steer toward the Audia Flight.

Last edited:

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
The decision should be also driven from your preferred source. The VAC is a full symmetrical PreAmp. If your source is also full symmetrical, it will make sense, if the Amp is it as well. So all Single Ended Amps would be out
(at least for me).

I tried several amplifiers to drive my Wilson Speakers, incl Boulder 1060, CHP A1, Grandinote Demone, VTL S-400 and to my surprise the Jeff Rowland 825 is by far the best match.

I heard the JRDG 825 at the dealer with Magico speakers and compared the amp with Goldmund Telos 2500. Again the 825 was more close to my expectations.

As the Rowland 825 should be within your price range, you might incl this amplifier into your considerations.
Thanks Shakti!
The local dealer has the 625 on demo, so I may be able to audition it.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
I've heard my friend's previous Strumento No.4 & new No.8 mono's driving his Marten Coltrane 3's several times. They are lovely sounding amps, powerful, well controlled, yet natural and musical (warm). They're also very well built & weigh a tonne! If you could swing it, the No.8 mono's are quite a step up from the power amp in terms of overall musicality and ease.

I've heard the Boulder 1160 many times before. That amp sounds natural and neutral, with a nice musical flow which was missing from the 1060 (which sounded a bit dry in comparison). Imho the Boulder needs some tubes in the mix to add a little warmth & dimensionality, so it might be a good option with your Vac preamp. If you were looking for a warmer, more laid back presentation i'd steer toward the Audia Flight.
Thanks Bodhi!
The Boulder seems to be more in the direction I’m looking for.
The mono 8’s are off budget.
Any experience with the 1161?

Reactions: Bodhi

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
You really need to tell us the incoming speakers to make good recommendations.

ps. I've never heard a convincing Boulder system in 20 years

Reactions: asiufy

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Really? I have...

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I own a Luxman M-800a and I can tell you it is fast if the input is fast. You only need to listen to something like this to know it.

But what it doesn't do is hype speed or have unnaturally strong bass drive or grip. If you want obvious push and drive look elsewhere.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Thanks Bodhi!
The Boulder seems to be more in the direction I’m looking for.
The mono 8’s are off budget.
Any experience with the 1161?
No, as the 1161 is a new amp, I haven't had the chance to hear one yet. Though the basic sound signature should be the same as the 1160, just with less power.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing