Power cord on my Roon Core LPS...

taww

Jun 12, 2020
New Jersey
taww.co
I admittedly have been a total bum when it comes to my streaming setup - An Intel NUC8i3 running ROCK, using the stock switching PSU, sitting in my basement connected to my main Ubiquiti router (Unifi Dream Machine Pro) which then connects to my audio system network via a run of CAT6 and a small Ubiquiti switch. I even just realized I was using a CAT5 (not even 5e) cable for the NUC... :eek: Yes, I know the server /network make a difference and I shouldn't expect to get best sound phoning it in like this, something which came into stark focus when I got some CD transports in and was able to hear some of the deficiencies in my streaming setup when reviving my CD collection. Maybe as a computer/software guy in my day job I just can't be bothered to get obsessive about it in my leisure time.

In any case, I bought a 300W HDPlex LPS a while back and had pretty good results with it on the RME ADI-2 DAC - a nice opening up and filling out of the sound, with a reduction of switching-PSU graininess and grunge. The HDPlex also has a 19V 10A line which is obviously perfect for the NUC, but again... laziness. Well, this evening I finally decided to bring the NUC up to the main rig and give it a go with the LPS, networked directly to the audio system's switch. I first tried the NUC with the stock supply, plugged into the Furutech e-TP80 power distributor. Sounded fine, I honestly wasn't sure if I could tell any difference with it in the new location - maybe a little better? I was prepared for it to be a little worse what with the noisy NUC in closer proximity to the system, but the Furutech does have some noise filtering.

OK, let's try the LPS. Previously I had been using it with an Audience powerChord, but they were occupied elsewhere, so I pulled out whatever cord I had lying around (in this case an old AudioPrism cord - remember them?).

I fired up some tracks on Roon. Hm... maybe this does sound a little better? A little firmer, more focused, maybe a little more extended and dynamic. I looked over by my cable bin and saw I had a spare Furutech DPS-4.1 power cord (superb btw) laying unused, since I am currently reviewing a loom of another cable. So I thought what the heck, let's try this on the HDPlex LPS, can't hurt right?

After one track, I was flabbergasted. I think changing the LPS power cord to the Furutech made more of a difference than moving from the switching PSU to the LPS with the AudioPrism cord! The tone, the image density, the dynamics - everything snapped into place. And the bass! So much more present and powerful. I have an obscure album of music by Ned Rorem that I'm partial to, because it was recorded at my music school, in the hall that I rehearsed and performed in for several years, at the time I was attending the school, with my friends playing. (It was all the best people in the school, so naturally I wasn't invited for the recording.) It wasn't until I put the Furutech cord on the LPS that the impact and realism of this performance took a clear step forward. Seriously, what the hell?

Sigh, this damn hobby...

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Nice story. Never underestimate the potential sonic harm and beauty of electricity. It's management good or bad means almost everything.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Use a good contact cleaner like DeoxIT on the fuse ends and clean the AC prongs on the inlet and the prongs into the wall. Be sure to do this on your amp (s) too. Doesn't surprise me the results above.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
I admittedly have been a total bum when it comes to my streaming setup - An Intel NUC8i3 running ROCK, using the stock switching PSU, sitting in my basement connected to my main Ubiquiti router (Unifi Dream Machine Pro) which then connects to my audio system network via a run of CAT6 and a small Ubiquiti switch. I even just realized I was using a CAT5 (not even 5e) cable for the NUC... :eek: Yes, I know the server /network make a difference and I shouldn't expect to get best sound phoning it in like this, something which came into stark focus when I got some CD transports in and was able to hear some of the deficiencies in my streaming setup when reviving my CD collection. Maybe as a computer/software guy in my day job I just can't be bothered to get obsessive about it in my leisure time.

In any case, I bought a 300W HDPlex LPS a while back and had pretty good results with it on the RME ADI-2 DAC - a nice opening up and filling out of the sound, with a reduction of switching-PSU graininess and grunge. The HDPlex also has a 19V 10A line which is obviously perfect for the NUC, but again... laziness. Well, this evening I finally decided to bring the NUC up to the main rig and give it a go with the LPS, networked directly to the audio system's switch. I first tried the NUC with the stock supply, plugged into the Furutech e-TP80 power distributor. Sounded fine, I honestly wasn't sure if I could tell any difference with it in the new location - maybe a little better? I was prepared for it to be a little worse what with the noisy NUC in closer proximity to the system, but the Furutech does have some noise filtering.

OK, let's try the LPS. Previously I had been using it with an Audience powerChord, but they were occupied elsewhere, so I pulled out whatever cord I had lying around (in this case an old AudioPrism cord - remember them?).

I fired up some tracks on Roon. Hm... maybe this does sound a little better? A little firmer, more focused, maybe a little more extended and dynamic. I looked over by my cable bin and saw I had a spare Furutech DPS-4.1 power cord (superb btw) laying unused, since I am currently reviewing a loom of another cable. So I thought what the heck, let's try this on the HDPlex LPS, can't hurt right?

After one track, I was flabbergasted. I think changing the LPS power cord to the Furutech made more of a difference than moving from the switching PSU to the LPS with the AudioPrism cord! The tone, the image density, the dynamics - everything snapped into place. And the bass! So much more present and powerful. I have an obscure album of music by Ned Rorem that I'm partial to, because it was recorded at my music school, in the hall that I rehearsed and performed in for several years, at the time I was attending the school, with my friends playing. (It was all the best people in the school, so naturally I wasn't invited for the recording.) It wasn't until I put the Furutech cord on the LPS that the impact and realism of this performance took a clear step forward. Seriously, what the hell?

Sigh, this damn hobby...
Do you have the Furutech FI 50 connectors on the DPS-4.1 cable?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing