Preamp search challenge

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I have a friend who wants to move to a new preamp. He’s currently using a wonderful tube preamp. I’ve heard this preamp and his system for years and years, and can say that it holds up very well indeed with today’s offerings. I’m purposefully not mentioning the preamp to keep from inadvertently influencing the reader. I can say that I think his preamp is, in its own way, every bit as good as my Pass XP-20, and bringing such things to the picture that a good tube pre arguably may do better than a good SS.

Anyway, after so many years with so many tube changes my friend is looking to move to something a bit easier to care for - hopefully a SS solution, but I’m not sure what he’s looking for actually exists. :) So I’m here to ask for help. Here’s the list of must haves:

Solid state
No processor supported functionality
Balance control or separate volume controls for L/R
Front panel power switch
Dual simultaneous outputs
A phono stage (MM only is okay)
Single chassis with inboard power supply
Mute switch
Max price new or used $6K

Does such an animal exist?

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Nothing?

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
If I was looking in that price range I would try to find a used Boulder 1010 and budget to send it to Boulder to be checked out.

Skanda

May 2, 2020
SOULUTION 721!! Little above 6k, but you never know - could work out. The 5 and 3 series are good too

Reactions: bonzo75

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Interesting recommendations. Thanks.

@Skanda , I didn’t think a used 721 could be had in that price range.

Skanda

May 2, 2020
It's going to be tough for sure. I think a 3 series may be possible but they are newer so not too many used units around. Oh, I'm assuming used is okay - let me know if not and maybe I can suggest some other ideas.

The soulution does it all honestly: tone, speed, dynamics. I like mine paired with the SL Kraft 300 more so than with with it's own partner the 710 (too much of a good thing, huh?). It's seriously worth saving up for - if the budget is 6k and there is the ability to wait a bit longer, at around 8-9k I think a used 721 is not too impossible.

I'm a big believer of having preamps in the chain so I ponied up for my 721 back when I still had an odyssey kismet. still a great pairing and i really wouldn't do it differently because i think the preamp made a bigger difference in my system than the amp, but those comparisons are hard to make.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Of course the problem with used is you typically don't get to audition it first. Preamps are so subjective. I've had way too many.

Reactions: Skanda

Skanda

May 2, 2020
Of course the problem with used is you typically don't get to audition it first. Preamps are so subjective. I've had way too many.

my man! looks like you got the L1 we were talking about. very nice!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I think used is a possibility. I’ve bought used gear over my time in the hobby, but my friend not so much. However IME i didn’t lose much if anything at all if I had to flip a piece of used gear I didn’t like.

Reactions: Skanda

Skanda

May 2, 2020
an interesting option, though i don't have much experience with either could be a used avm pre or audionet pre. just riffing on my earlier idea, both avm and audionet make great stuff at a considerably lower price point than the swiss pres. used burmesters come around from time to time at that price point too

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
a used Jeff Rowland Corus or the former Coherence II might fit as well

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
@marty, I should have mentioned he’s hoping for a 1 box preamp. I agree about the XP-30, though. That’s a really attractive option if he was so inclined to go with a multi-box pre.

@shakti, my friend and I were just discussing the Corus! That’s something that seems to be quite in line with what he’s looking for. I guess the one thing that always bothered me about the Corus (if I remember the design correctly) is the use of OPAMPs in the gain stages.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
@marty, I should have mentioned he’s hoping for a 1 box preamp. I agree about the XP-30, though. That’s a really attractive option if he was so inclined to go with a multi-box pre.

@shakti, my friend and I were just discussing the Corus! That’s something that seems to be quite in line with what he’s looking for. I guess the one thing that always bothered me about the Corus (if I remember the design correctly) is the use of OPAMPs in the gain stages.

As you can see in my signature, I am using the Criterion, which is the Corus in 2 chassis plus battery.
The sound is fluid and with no sharp edges, wonderful voices. Nothing, what you would expect from the parts JRDG is using.

The nice thing on a used Corus is, that you can update after a while with the external JRDG PSU instead of the standard PSU.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing