My friend is considering getting a new preamp

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
My friend has been using for over 30 years a Quicksilver Full Function preamp. I’m not a tube guy and even I like this preamp. It had been modified over time by Mike Sanders with silver wiring and Jantzen caps, among other things. But I think my friend may be finally willing to try something newer. He’s not fond of the 4+ hour warmup before it sounds fully on form, and while he’s not against staying with a tube pre (he will also consider a good SS) some of the old tubes used in the QS are not as easy to find.

So he’s looking for something that would be a step up. The must haves -

-Mono switch
-At least dual outputs, one balanced
-MM phono pre, although MM/MC would be nice
-Full dual mono construction, or at least dual volume controls, or at a minimum a really good balance control
-Mute switch
-Non-inverting
-Front panel ON/OFF switch

Price $10K or less, new. It’s all personal and system dependent of course, but it should be a real step up from the QS.

Last edited:
Hi.

David Berning has the Zotl Pre One 8-9 ish
Can be had with phono

Linear Tube audio the microzotl pre. 5-7 ish
No phono, but has XLR input - Get an exteral one? Lots of Good phono stages for below 4k

Very configurable units. Most likely also very customizable.
They have the almost the entire required list.

And They Are better than a a 30 year QuickSilver .

Microzotl: a vid:. It also has remote
A test by Audiophiliac on YouTube

Zotl:
Has more like QuickSilver with switches on the front.. and it has phono , microzotl does not have.

The QuickSilver had 27db gain. Most likely you friend never put volume above 10 to 10:30

Thes new have about half that in gain. More usable range for sure..

The LTA Microzotl and

Parasound Halo JC 3+ Phono Preamp would sum out to about 10k​

The Parasound does have a mono Switch. And is basically tube’ish sonic signature phono but it is solid state and very Good

The Berning alternative is a one box unit with built in phono and more of a old School style.
But no XLR … and must be configured while ordering since its more of a set and choose, than the alternative.

So My 2 cents there

Yes, and one can say that the fundamental qualities of the QuickSilver pre Are also the qualities of the Zotl and the microzotl. But clarity… is better…. And also the cable and Amp drive is better.
I cannit Imagine to much change is what is wanted. So level up - thats what i think these Are

Last edited:
Reactions: tony22

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing