Preamps... nothing is perfect.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'd already decided that 1Meg was insufficient and actually changed it to a 1kOhm resistor after the first day to get a few mA current. :)

Now I'm running a cable burnin with 500R load (2x 1k parallel) and my DAC is still able to output about 14V pk-pk at full volume. So what's that, about 5 Vrms or about 10mA. Not bad, but also only 1/10th of what a Cable Cooker does.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
PS, pay no attention to the rushed and sloppy solder job. This isn't how I solder my line stages. :)

Running this through the AVC now, in to 500 Ohms. Toned down the voltage. It's a square wave sweep from 10Hz to 26kHz in 128 steps. My DAC is still outputting at -10dB or so at 26kHz interestingly.

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Update on the silver Slagle, since @CKKeung asked. I think it has settled in nicely. I ended up adjusting a few tonearm parameters and eventually swapped from E280F to D3a tubes in my phono stage. The end result works very well now with the silver AVC.

Screenshot_20190406-180316.png

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Update on the silver Slagle, since @CKKeung asked. I think it has settled in nicely. I ended up adjusting a few tonearm parameters and eventually swapped from E280F to D3a tubes in my phono stage. The end result works very well now with the silver AVC.

View attachment 50178
Are E280F and D3a interchangeable?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
If you are asking for your Incito ,since bias is adjustable,yes:) Same family,as with E282f,E180f,E810f ,etc.Now which one is better,that is debatable :)
Hi Stavros
Thank you very much for your answer :)
What interests me even more, what rectifier tube types I can roll in my wonderful Incito?
Is 5u4g possible?

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Replacing the 5ar4 with others like the one mentioned, would be downgrade.The 5ar4 has about one forth of the voltage drop of these irregardless of the brand used.It actually has the lowest voltage drop of the conventional rectifiers ...you can however use another 5ar4/gz34.
I think yours have Japan made one ,which were based on the GE design.you can try Philips /Rca which sound different for example.
If you use 5u4 ex. you will end up with higher voltage sagging -different operating point.

Reactions: christoph

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
So to stop blubbering yes you can but it is not optimal.but of course you might like it.Another close relative is the 5v4 which you can find amazing samples at low prices

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
So to stop blubbering yes you can but it is not optimal.but of course you might like it.Another close relative is the 5v4 which you can find amazing samples at low prices
Thanks again.
Could you name some of the amazing models to look out for?
Did I get you right that I can try a 5u4g but it will sound inferior?
But it is safe to try 5u4g? The point is, I have several types here that I could try just for the fun of it...

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Thanks again.
Could you name some of the amazing models to look out for?
Did I get you right that I can try a 5u4g but it will sound inferior?
But it is safe to try 5u4g? The point is, I have several types here that I could try just for the fun of it...
Yes you can certainly try any recti as long as it is 5v ,under 4A for heaters, with same pin configuration.
The 5v4 is not widely used so you can get true Nos tubes of the usual sought after brands at reasonable prices as they are not so famous model to drive prices up....

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes. E280F and D3a are interchangeable in my phono. They present quite differently in my phono stage, and I seem to prefer D3a with the silver AVC but preferred E280F with the previous copper AVC.
Can you try and describe the Sonic difference between E280F and D3a?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Well, this is going to be specific to my phono, and it's always the entire circuit design that creates the final sound...

And to be clear, I do like both tubes, so I'm trying to describe differences I hear, not necessarily positives vs negatives. Briefly... I found the E280F to be a bit more technical. It's giving a more precise sound. Some might say analytical. I wouldn't go that far. It highlights treble a bit more, and it highlights bass. It's very neutral in the midrange. Its soundstage is more forward. I found the D3a to be slightly dark in the treble comparatively. I'm still trying to decide if I'd consider it dark in an absolute sense. Bass is also a bit less highlighted. Midrange is very similar with D3a (maybe?) slightly sweeter. D3a soundstage extends further back behind the speakers, i.e. less forward. I'm not sure how accurate this deep soundstage is just yet. Both tubes can be punchy when called for, but overall D3a is a bit more relaxed. E280F seems to highlight micro detail more. This could be due to its more forward nature. Again, I'm not entirely sure which is more accurate.

Horses for courses. I'm stockpiling reserves of both tubes.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Well, this is going to be specific to my phono, and it's always the entire circuit design that creates the final sound...

And to be clear, I do like both tubes, so I'm trying to describe differences I hear, not necessarily positives vs negatives. Briefly... I found the E280F to be a bit more technical. It's giving a more precise sound. Some might say analytical. I wouldn't go that far. It highlights treble a bit more, and it highlights bass. It's very neutral in the midrange. Its soundstage is more forward. I found the D3a to be slightly dark in the treble comparatively. I'm still trying to decide if I'd consider it dark in an absolute sense. Bass is also a bit less highlighted. Midrange is very similar with D3a (maybe?) slightly sweeter. D3a soundstage extends further back behind the speakers, i.e. less forward. I'm not sure how accurate this deep soundstage is just yet. Both tubes can be punchy when called for, but overall D3a is a bit more relaxed. E280F seems to highlight micro detail more. This could be due to its more forward nature. Again, I'm not entirely sure which is more accurate.

Horses for courses. I'm stockpiling reserves of both tubes.
Thank you :)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Here is a nice chart,note the vast difference in voltage drop(the lower the better) View attachment 50200
Thank you for that very helpful chart.
What Voltage drop would a SolidState rectifier have?
Probably a very low one.
But even then, I vastly prefer a tube rectifier in my Lampi DAC :rolleyes:

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
@bazelio. Are you able to set the bias on the tubes in any way?with these specific tubes can change dramatically with a minor operating point shift.both tubes are top notch as almost all in this family

@christof A solid state would have no sagging that depends on current draw,like a tube rectifier would.but I would take as well tube rectifier all day long against SS.however not all tube rectifiers/diodes sound the same.wait till you leave tube rectifier realm and step into damper tube diodes, gas rectifiers etc:):)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
@christoph A solid state would have no sagging that depends on current draw, like a tube rectifier would. but I would take as well tube rectifier all day long against SS. however not all tube rectifiers/diodes sound the same. wait till you leave tube rectifier realm and step into damper tube diodes, gas rectifiers etc:):)
How could/would I dare to leave the tube recti realm without assistance? :eek:
Not going to happen. I have never even heard/read about those nasty things... :oops:

Reactions: Aries Cerat

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Yes you can certainly try any recti as long as it is 5v ,under 4A for heaters, with same pin configuration.
The 5v4 is not widely used so you can get true Nos tubes of the usual sought after brands at reasonable prices as they are not so famous model to drive prices up....

Hi Stavros. Flyer came over to my place this afternoon with his Incito S. As I had several rectifiers at hand (Philips 5R4GYS and KR 5UAG Lampizator Anniversary), we tested them and we quickly concluded that the Sylvana you selected was the best.

Kind regards,

dcc

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing