Psvane Acme Series (new flagship series)

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I've placed an order for a pair of Psvane Acme 805 tubes to use in my LM508ia amplifier. Thanks to everyone on here for taking the initial gamble on the Acme series and providing feedback.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I've placed an order for a pair of Psvane Acme 805 tubes to use in my LM508ia amplifier. Thanks to everyone on here for taking the initial gamble on the Acme series and providing feedback.
I bet you will end up buying Acme 300B too.

Acme 805 and 300B will make your LM508 sound notch above with excellent transparency and sweet treble.

Last edited:

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I bet you will end up buying Acme 300B too.

Acme 805 and 300B will make your LM508 sound notch above with excellent transparency and sweet treble.

Hi Thomas,

I already have Elrog 300Bs in the amplifier that I am extremely happy with. For me to purchase the Acme 300Bs, I will need to hear them in direct comparison with the Elrogs. I have directly compared the Elrogs to KR 300B RKs, EML 300B XLS and they've both been seen off handily by the Elrogs. If anyone with the Acme 300Bs lives in Minnesota, it'd be great to compare.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hi Thomas,

I already have Elrog 300Bs in the amplifier that I am extremely happy with. For me to purchase the Acme 300Bs, I will need to hear them in direct comparison with the Elrogs. I have directly compared the Elrogs to KR 300B RKs, EML 300B XLS and they've both been seen off handily by the Elrogs. If anyone with the Acme 300Bs lives in Minnesota, it'd be great to compare.
Hi Adamaley;
Just for my understanding - "new" or "old" Elrog?

Cheers;
G

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
It will be easier if you send your Erlog 300B to someone who has Acme 300B.

;)

Lol. But I will be left with the stock 300B tubes while you have WE 300Bs to use while the Acmes are away. Have mercy on me. :)

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Lol. But I will be left with the stock 300B tubes while you have WE 300Bs to use while the Acmes are away. Have mercy on me. :)
Acme 300B works on LM508 better than WE Nos with sweeter sound.

LM 508 sounds a little bit cold with WE Nos 300B while it give tighter bass and wider soundstage.

Thus I have no intention to take my Acme 300B out of LM508.

:cool:

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Then we have a standoff. But, who knows, maybe I'll be so taken by the Acme 805s that I will be compelled to try the 300B.

I wrote to Thomas Mayer in the past begging for an Elrog 805, and hopefully, with the recent popularity of 805 amps, that may become a reality.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
My 805 tubes arrived today, and I got down to breaking them in while working from home. After a few hours, one channel goes after a loud popping sound. One tube is suddenly glowing significantly brighter than the other and the bias meter is maxed out. I managed to take a pic before I shut off the amp since I was taking pics of a PC that I plan on selling.

This is very disappointing, especially since I had to wait till the 4th of July for the tubes to ship after purchasing on June 26th since Rachel of Grant Fidelity was away at an Audio Show. She was nice enough to expedite it to me after getting back but to now have to return this set due to this issue really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. When I purchased my Psvane 805-ATs last year through Grant Fidelity one of the tubes was DOA and I had to go through the return process as well.

Ah well - at least I can say the little music I listened to was a significant step up from the Psvane 805-ATs considering the Acme 805s were stone cold.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Sorry to hear the big Acmes had a fault. When you have a runaway volcanic glow with a valve like the 805 it is a scary sight. Hope the replacements come soon and you have better luck then Adam. At least the Acmes sounded better even if it only was a brief glimpse.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Thomas,

I too prefer Elrog to the KR and both to the EML. Also to the Tak

The Elrog give a mid hall perspective with more concert falls hall ambience, more transparent to recordings.

Last edited:
Reactions: adamaley

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
My 805 tubes arrived today, and I got down to breaking them in while working from home. After a few hours, one channel goes after a loud popping sound. One tube is suddenly glowing significantly brighter than the other and the bias meter is maxed out. I managed to take a pic before I shut off the amp since I was taking pics of a PC that I plan on selling.

This is very disappointing, especially since I had to wait till the 4th of July for the tubes to ship after purchasing on June 26th since Rachel of Grant Fidelity was away at an Audio Show. She was nice enough to expedite it to me after getting back but to now have to return this set due to this issue really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. When I purchased my Psvane 805-ATs last year through Grant Fidelity one of the tubes was DOA and I had to go through the return process as well.

Ah well - at least I can say the little music I listened to was a significant step up from the Psvane 805-ATs considering the Acme 805s were stone cold.

It is too bad you also had problem with Acme 805.

Since I got a replacement tube 6 months ago, I have not had any issues running 600 hours so far.

I hope that your replacement tube will work well in the future.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
It is too bad you also had problem with Acme 805.

Since I got a replacement tube 6 months ago, I have not had any issues running 600 hours so far.

I hope that your replacement tube will work well in the future.

It appears the issue may not be tube related. I've been away from home and since returning, switched the tubes and the issue is reoccurring on the same channel. I'll be putting in the 805-ATs tonight to see if the issue flares up.

VinylSavor

May 15, 2018
Lindau, Germany
www.vinylsavor.com
I wrote to Thomas Mayer in the past begging for an Elrog 805, and hopefully, with the recent popularity of 805 amps, that may become a reality.

I am sorry but there are no plans for this and most likely never will be. The demand for such a tube is way too low to justify the development.
There are other new tube types planned but development will not start before next year. We still struggle to catch up with demand for our existing tube types

Thomas

Reactions: adamaley

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
There are other new tube types planned but development will not start before next year
Hi Thomas
Can you elaborate what tube types this will be?

Reactions: bonzo75

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I too prefer Elrog to the KR and both to the EML. Also to the Tak

The Elrog give a mid hall perspective with more concert falls hall ambience, more transparent to recordings.
Better than EML 300B XLS version?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing