Quest for speaker upgrade

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
Here are the pictures of the Salk Soundscape 8.
Thank you Bill for opening your home to a complete stranger. One of the beautiful things that audio breeds.

BTW, how can I rotate the second picture? I took it vertically, so it doesn't make sense that it's displayed horizontally.

Attachments

• 20170605_205509.jpg
    20170605_205509.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 359
  • 20170605_205627.jpg
    20170605_205627.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 363

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Rev I would check out JWM in Austin. I have partnered with them a few times including an upcoming event in Houston. One of the very few sub 15K speakers that kills it and I would trust to voice my electronics on.

We were also at the Lone Star show up in Dallas and they sold 2 pairs at the show. You get a crazy good speaker and the handbuilt design and exotic woods are just icing on the cake. Full recommendation and local support from the designer himself to tailor it to your room.

http://www.jwmacoustics.com/new-products/jane-jkm

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
Rev I would check out JWM in Austin. I have partnered with them a few times including an upcoming event in Houston. One of the very few sub 15K speakers that kills it and I would trust to voice my electronics on.

We were also at the Lone Star show up in Dallas and they sold 2 pairs at the show. You get a crazy good speaker and the handbuilt design and exotic woods are just icing on the cake. Full recommendation and local support from the designer himself to tailor it to your room.

http://www.jwmacoustics.com/new-products/jane-jkm
His speakers, definitely look the part. I was at your room on Friday of the LSAF, but unfortunately (for me) your digital was not up and running, so I was not able to have a glimpse of what the JWM can do. Still, these speakers are definitely above my budget. They also have an external crossover, which reminds me of what EA is doing with the Maestoso.
Do you know if someone in Dallas has these?

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
a quick update:
I'm on a trip in Italy, Germany and Switzerland. In Italy I hope to go to the Gold Note factory in Montespertoli, since I'll be in Tuscany for a few days. My excuse with my wife is that she needs to see (and listen) to the speakers, since they'll be in our living room. As I mentioned before, the XT-7 is on my short list.
Next week I'll hopefully will be able to visit Christoph in Liechtenstein where I will expand my auditory horizon by listening to horns, which I normally have difficulties with because of "cupped-hands syndrome" and Apogee, which I am very curious about, since I've never heard them.
Also hoping of getting a hold of Sven Boenicke and listen to the W11 at his shop in Basel.

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
I'm back from vacation.
As mentioned, I had the chance to listen to the Gold Note XT-7 at their factory in Montespertoli. Conditions were probably close to worst-case scenario as you can see in the image below, apart from the speakers obviously not having been broken in the positioning was not good with the flagship speakers right behind them, really bad speaker cables with a switch in the middle. Nonetheless, they played well enough to stay on my list.
System was completely Gold Note, except for cables.
Below a picture with Maurizio (on the right), the production engineer, who actually was the person that recommended me the place where I stayed during the two days that I was visiting the Tuscan countryside. He was very knowledgeable, forthcoming and we had a great conversation.

Attachments

• 20170711_180256 small.jpg
    20170711_180256 small.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 201

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
I just wanted to update quickly on an audition that I was able to make at Christoph's in Liechtenstein. I was very curious regarding it, especially because of the what I had heard about the Apogees. He was more than patient to let me play around with the electronics he has. I was also very curious, because I wanted to compare his Lampizator DACs (GG and GA+) to the Resolution Audio Cantata, that I also have. Here is the system:
SBT Touch w/ alternative PSU>Lampizator GG/GA+/RA Cantata>Silvaweld SWC 1000>Lamm M1.1/Kronzilla VA350i>Apogee Studio Grand (with disconnected subs, so basically a Duetta)
After adjusting a few things at the beginning of the audition I heard the fastest, most transparent and true-to-source speakers that still retain all the musicality that is on the recording up until today. For the first time I now know what box coloration is all about, because these had none. This becomes evident especially with low frequencies, where there is no overhang whatsoever, something that from now on I will always associate with box enclosures. This did leave the low frequencies slightly more lean than I'm used to, but the decay and speed of it is unparalleled without loosing deep bass. With the baby Kronzilla LF became more robust and had more body, but also a tad slower and a little less extended in the HF. Mids were also more robust with KR, but a little less transparent. For evaluation purposes I preferred the Lamm, especially because I wanted to compare the DACs.
On that topic: it took me less than a minute to know that the Cantata was out of its league against the GG. GA+ wasn't very close to GG until we used the same recti in it (PX25 as I was told by Christoph, but I know NOTHING about valves). Then the difference was smaller. Still love my Cantata due to versatility, but it doesn't come close in sound. Lampi owners can be justly proud. Once I look in that price bracket I'll probably be hard-pressed to find something that will give it a run for its money.
We also played around with interconnects and using Goertz balanced yielded the best results, even when comparing the same ICs with RCA. I guess the Lamm and and Silvawed prefer balanced. The other IC was dead last compared to the Goertz Sapphire.
We had only a couple of minutes to play with the mains system upstairs, since I was so enticed by the Apogees. It consisted of the SBT>Lampi GG>Silvawed>Kronzilla SXI>Odeon 38. I'm not a great fan of horns, because I'm pretty sensitive to the cupped-hands syndrome, especially because it manifests itself in the mids. These speakers, however, had the least amount of that syndrome, although it was still there. One great thing about it, though, was that "reach-out-and-touch" palpability. I get why they have a great following.
For me though, the Apogees were the main deal. If I had the option of setting up speakers that size my quest would end here. Now that I know that you can have all that information and transparency without losing the texture, tone, timbre and musicality my search for a speaker just got so much harder. I will try to find the best possible speaker within my budget which will resemble the qualities that I heard there the best. Thanks to Christoph for being a great host and representing the best audiophiles are all about.
BTW, what a friggin view!!!

Attachments

• 20170718_165202_HDR.jpg
    20170718_165202_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 129
  • 20170718_175531.jpg
    20170718_175531.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
  • 20170718_103341_HDR.jpg
    20170718_103341_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 129
  • view Christoph small.jpg
    view Christoph small.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 130

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lichenstein will have Scintilla, Universum, Studio Grand, and Odeon all a small distance from each other, apart from a great view. Many can travel with their wives and listen to audio leaving their wives at the lake. The Scintilla and Universum are amongst my top choices for medium size rooms, though radically different.

I compared the Cantata to Lampi 5 before I became a Lampi customer, it wasn't close. Then the Big 7 was far superior to the Lampi 5, and the GG to the big 7. And Christoph's GG can get much better.

The PX25 you mentioned is an output valve, it does not go on the GA. Christoph must have mentioned the rectifier.

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
Christoph must have mentioned the rectifier.
I hope he can chime in, since I honestly don't know. Am looking up rectifier now. :D

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hello reverendo

I hope he can chime in, since I honestly don't know. Am looking up rectifier now. :D

Thank you very much for your kind words.
You have been a wonderful guest with excellent hearing and an exquisite and multifaceted music taste.

The rectis we used in the GA were first the EML mesh 274b and then the KR 5U4G Anniversary. Of the two, I prefer the KR 5U4G.
In the GG we only used the KR 5U4G Anniversary retifier tube, first with the EML 45 mesh Anniversary Globes and then with the KR PX25 ouput tubes. We both preferred the PX25 output tubes.

You are always welcome to visit me again.

PS: This offer stands for all interested audiophiles who want to listen to excellent gear that is outside the mainstream of high-end. Just PM me with a few possible dates.

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
I've gone a little quiet now, since there's a lot of work on the table after vacation, but I wanted to quickly update regarding what's going on at the moment.
Due to the Apogee experience I'm trying to find something similar, nonetheless more manageable with regards to placement and room.
In theory the Janszen Valentina might get me close to what I'm looking for, if they, hopefully, don't sound anything like the ML, which were too thin and with noticeable problems in getting a cohesive sound from panel to woofer (although still better than I heard in the past). The sealed design could be interesting. I've been talking to David Janszen in order to understand what to expect a little better. I would love to get input from someone who has had a chance to listen to them, since the trial period seems like the only solution (no owner anywhere near) and I don't want to take that leap yet.
I am also waiting to listen to the new ELAC Adante speakers and trying to find an opportunity to audition W11, Cello and SR6 Avantgarde Arrete, but the latter ones will be a challenge to audit.
Has anyone here had any experience in finding an Apogee-like sound in more physically versatile speakers?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've gone a little quiet now, since there's a lot of work on the table after vacation, but I wanted to quickly update regarding what's going on at the moment.
Due to the Apogee experience I'm trying to find something similar, nonetheless more manageable with regards to placement and room.
In theory the Janszen Valentina might get me close to what I'm looking for, if they, hopefully, don't sound anything like the ML, which were too thin and with noticeable problems in getting a cohesive sound from panel to woofer (although still better than I heard in the past). The sealed design could be interesting. I've been talking to David Janszen in order to understand what to expect a little better. I would love to get input from someone who has had a chance to listen to them, since the trial period seems like the only solution (no owner anywhere near) and I don't want to take that leap yet.
I am also waiting to listen to the new ELAC Adante speakers and trying to find an opportunity to audition W11, Cello and SR6 Avantgarde Arrete, but the latter ones will be a challenge to audit.
Has anyone here had any experience in finding an Apogee-like sound in more physically versatile speakers?

Sorry us apogee lovers have looked at many such planars and that bass does not exist. In the size and budget you are looking at duetta is a steal. Go to long island and listen. Stats and other planars have a nice midrange, only Sound labs has the bass but much larger than you would like. Also, those who know apogee reading your thread are few, so you need to post that on apogee and planar forums/threads

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
Sorry us apogee lovers have looked at many such planars and that bass does not exist. In the size and budget you are looking at duetta is a steal. Go to long island and listen. Stats and other planars have a nice midrange, only Sound labs has the bass but much larger than you would like. Also, those who know apogee reading your thread are few, so you need to post that on apogee and planar forums/threads
Ked, the size unfortunately isn't feasible in my situation, but your suggestion about going on apogee forums is good. thanks.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, the size unfortunately isn't feasible in my situation, but your suggestion about going on apogee forums is good. thanks.

They are as dead as the company. Ask on apogee threads here or the gon. The duetta is smaller than the studio grand you heard which looks larger due to the woofers below. Otherwise yea Janzen will be fine, but so will an used Watt Puppy or a Heco. IMO most of the speakers you are eyeing are not upgrades, they just have a higher price. You could easily run a Watt Puppy on SETs and be satisfied or a Verity Leonore or a Heco. They will all sound nice below and be below your budget.

Last edited:

KLH007

Feb 2, 2012
Annapolis, MD
reverendo, Please take the time to consider the best sounding magnetic planar speaker nobody knows about, the GTA 2.5 or the current GTA 3.0 from GTAW in New Jersey. The link is; http://www.gtaudioworks.com/. I own the GTA 2.5s, and the 3.0s are only planar w/o any built in subs. The NY audio company, SoundInsight, showed with Greg at the Capital Audiofest last year using open baffle subs, 2 x 12" per channel, and combined with Greg's 3.0 speakers, they had one of the very best sounding rooms in 2016. You should call Greg and chat, he's showing again this year at Capital Audiofest in November in Rockville, MD.

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
reverendo, Please take the time to consider the best sounding magnetic planar speaker nobody knows about, the GTA 2.5 or the current GTA 3.0 from GTAW in New Jersey. The link is; http://www.gtaudioworks.com/. I own the GTA 2.5s, and the 3.0s are only planar w/o any built in subs. The NY audio company, SoundInsight, showed with Greg at the Capital Audiofest last year using open baffle subs, 2 x 12" per channel, and combined with Greg's 3.0 speakers, they had one of the very best sounding rooms in 2016. You should call Greg and chat, he's showing again this year at Capital Audiofest in November in Rockville, MD.
appreciate it, KLH007, but if I could work with this size I would have already bought the Duetta. Take a look at the Janszen Valentina and you'll see why I'm thinking about them: http://www.janszenaudio.com/product-page/za2-1-monitor

KLH007

Feb 2, 2012
Annapolis, MD
appreciate it, KLH007, but if I could work with this size I would have already bought the Duetta. Take a look at the Janszen Valentina and you'll see why I'm thinking about them: http://www.janszenaudio.com/product-page/za2-1-monitor

I've heard David's Valentina recently at a friend's house in Annapolis. They are refined, coherent, and detailed, but they don't escape the box sound entirely as they have 2 cone woofers in a box, and the electroststic isn't dipolar, the back wave is captured. You might give an Emerald Physics or Spatial speaker a try.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing