Quick Spectal and MIT Cable Questions

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
Hi

I have 3 quick questions : 1/ Why does spectral never consider bi-amping? ( I have the pair of DMA-200's but finding most of the Spectral Pre's have only 1 output )
:2/ I find the balanced output to be neither better or worse then the RCA output, some people have said that balanced is best....any ideas why and what do you suggest? and yet I find that some of the older Spectral Pre's I've seen do not have a balanced output, only RCA's ans Goodwins told me that Specral will not touch a Pre that has been modified by adding these connections
:3/ My dealer said that MIT's Terminator 2 cables should been good to run the Spectrals, but I do not think they can handle the ultra-wideband. Any ideas as to the cables that MIT make, that are a good choice?

Thanks

Mike

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi

I have 3 quick questions : 1/ Why does spectral never consider bi-amping? ( I have the pair of DMA-200's but finding most of the Spectral Pre's have only 1 output )
:2/ I find the balanced output to be neither better or worse then the RCA output, some people have said that balanced is best....any ideas why and what do you suggest? and yet I find that some of the older Spectral Pre's I've seen do not have a balanced output, only RCA's ans Goodwins told me that Specral will not touch a Pre that has been modified by adding these connections
:3/ My dealer said that MIT's Terminator 2 cables should been good to run the Spectrals, but I do not think they can handle the ultra-wideband. Any ideas as to the cables that MIT make, that are a good choice?

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

I think they're all good questions that are probably best answered by the folks at Spectral and MIT :)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
You can bi-amp with a DMC-20 if it has the optional balanced modules or -30 series preamps (which they have them as standard configuration); but you end up running one set with RCAs the other with XLRs. For cables, you really want to stick with the recommended 330 or 350 UL or "higher/better" series, not the low-end Terminator (although they will indeed work, but not sound as good).

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi msm_1,

The DMC 10 which is about the same vintage as the DMA 200 has two rca outputs. The two rca outputs are labeled non-inverting and inverting. I have used the DMC 10 to drive two Forsell amplifiers with very nice results.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Actually the DMC-12 does as well, and I owned both the -12 and -20 before. Apologies for missing that...

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
Hi

Thanks for the info. I saw the inverting and non-inverting outputs but did not know that they could be used at the same time.

I have seen some good used ones for sale lately and will be keeping a closer eye out for the ones that have these 2 outputs. Is there anything special regarding these or is the same hookup as Pre's that have the 2 regular RCA outputs?

Thanks

Mike

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
You will just have to invert the phase at the output of those amps driven by the inverted inputs.

American Audiophile

Aug 17, 2010
Stuart, FL
Anyone know the repalcement interconnect for the 330 MIT/Spectral ? Seems as if MIT has discontinued the 330 series.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Sounds like the 350 UL Series II is the only one left. Frankly, you wouldn't want a 330. I know the 350 is current as I bought a 10ft pair just 3 months or so ago.

1audio

Sep 17, 2010
SF Bay Area
Hi msm_1,

The DMC 10 which is about the same vintage as the DMA 200 has two rca outputs. The two rca outputs are labeled non-inverting and inverting. I have used the DMC 10 to drive two Forsell amplifiers with very nice results.

Sorry, but the outputs are DC coupled and AC coupled. They are both the same phase. One has an output coupling cap.

There is no intrinsic "better' to balanced and in many cases there is just an added inverting amp to create balanced outputs. Execution is the important part, including the quality and implementation of the cables.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi 1audio,

Thanks for correcting my mistake and my apologies for posting the wrong information.

1audio

Sep 17, 2010
SF Bay Area
Hardly very important. Many people (including those who should know) get confused by this stuff.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing