Re-imagining "Class A" Amplification

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
I was recently in Quebec, just outside of Montreal where we, (myself and 6 local audiophiles) listened to the Westminster Monoblocks and Preamp. We listened a bit to the existing gear (Pathos' best monos and preamp-the inpol circuit) before switching things out. The speakers were Avalons, the wood bodied, Accuton driver generation. The host was a well practiced audiophile and had added a super tweeter of Japanese derivation, that really did smooth out the Accuton array.

Even without warm up it was apparent that more information was on hand with the Westminster gear. It wasn't
like being hit in the head with a banner of information, it was just there. I keep returning to the gestalt of a single stage amplifier, but with much more power than one typically finds in those designs. Intimacy was present in both designs and was emphasized by the choices in music...much of which were closely mic'd vocals. Actually I came away with a deeper appreciation of Emmylou Harris than I had thought was possible.

The host expressed interest in buying them if he could trade in his Pathos gear...which is between he and the importer. Still and all, a great listen.

Run-RMC

Apr 16, 2022
UK
"...You can see a huge heatsink on the side of the unit ( we did conceal it to make it less ugly and less affected by the ambient sound waves ), and to make the heatsink as efficient as it can be..."
Yes, good explanation, but I want to know how ambient sound effects the operation of a heat sink.

My understanding of that statement was that the heatsinks would be less susceptible to ringing due to their concealment and not a statement related to the thermal operation of the heatsinks.

Anyway, to me this is an impressive take on a Class A amplifier. I'm enamoured by the thinking behind this and the compact design. Attractive with the carbon fibre and compact for Class A. I'd really like to hear this preamp and power amp combo some day.

Reactions: Fred Crane

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
My understanding of that statement was that the heatsinks would be less susceptible to ringing due to their concealment and not a statement related to the thermal operation of the heatsinks.

Anyway, to me this is an impressive take on a Class A amplifier. I'm enamoured by the thinking behind this and the compact design. Attractive with the carbon fibre and compact for Class A. I'd really like to hear this preamp and power amp combo some day.
If you are ever in Southern, California we would welcome a visit for a listen, even if it's just to satisfy a curiosity about a decidedly new take on Class A amplification.

Run-RMC

Apr 16, 2022
UK
Thanks, I'm in the UK but you never know. My amp is also Class A and a tri-chassis arrangement so I'd love to hear how the compact WLabs compares... one day.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Thanks, I'm in the UK but you never know. My amp is also Class A and a tri-chassis arrangement so I'd love to hear how the compact WLabs compares... one day.
Hopefully, travel continues to open up. My hope is to have the Westminster suite in the Netherlands at our speaker partner AEquo Audio this summer. Who knows, perhaps we can swing by the UK for a bit:)

Run-RMC

Apr 16, 2022
UK
Hopefully, travel continues to open up. My hope is to have the Westminster suite in the Netherlands at our speaker partner AEquo Audio this summer. Who knows, perhaps we can swing by the UK for a bit:)
I could probably swing by Amsterdam as I often have to travel via Schiphol. Hopefully it can fit in with my travel plans and I'll look out for your summer announcement.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I could probably swing by Amsterdam as I often have to travel via Schiphol. Hopefully it can fit in with my travel plans and I'll look out for your summer announcement.
Our guys are in Eindhoven, an approximately 75-minute train ride from Amsterdam. I'll keep you posted on when the WL gear will be there.

Reactions: Run-RMC

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
I was recently in Quebec, just outside of Montreal where we, (myself and 6 local audiophiles) listened to the Westminster Monoblocks and Preamp. We listened a bit to the existing gear (Pathos' best monos and preamp-the inpol circuit) before switching things out. The speakers were Avalons, the wood bodied, Accuton driver generation. The host was a well practiced audiophile and had added a super tweeter of Japanese derivation, that really did smooth out the Accuton array.

Even without warm up it was apparent that more information was on hand with the Westminster gear. It wasn't
like being hit in the head with a banner of information, it was just there. I keep returning to the gestalt of a single stage amplifier, but with much more power than one typically finds in those designs. Intimacy was present in both designs and was emphasized by the choices in music...much of which were closely mic'd vocals. Actually I came away with a deeper appreciation of Emmylou Harris than I had thought was possible.

The host expressed interest in buying them if he could trade in his Pathos gear...which is between he and the importer. Still and all, a great listen.
Who is the Canadian distributor? I've been a big fan of Class A amplification since my Levinson ML-2's back when to my current and aging Luxman m800A amp. As I gently age, I've come to appreciate the benefits of the smaller form factor! Where can I get my ears on these (preferably in my system)?

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Who is the Canadian distributor? I've been a big fan of Class A amplification since my Levinson ML-2's back when to my current and aging Luxman m800A amp. As I gently age, I've come to appreciate the benefits of the smaller form factor! Where can I get my ears on these (preferably in my system)?
Kenc, thanks for inquiring. We are also the distributor for Canada. Kindly let me know where you are located in Canada so we can arrange an audition for you. Feel free to DM me on that accord as I'm on WBF for a bit every day:)

Reactions: Fred Crane

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I had these amps in my house yesterday and I was gobsmacked by their beauty and their size. Unlike many other class A amps I have owned, I usually higher some muscle to get them up my stairs to my sound room. Gary and I each carried one under our arm at 33 lbs each. Dimensions 14" x 9" x 5"

Just to put things in perspective here is a photo of the Westminster and my class A amps

IMG_1987.jpeg

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
So how did it sound.... Gary and I will be doing a full few hours of listening next week. Due to a problem that I didn't foresee, there was a cabling length issue that will be solved by next Wednesday. Also Gary is bringing the Westminster preamp so that we can hear it as a system, so stay tuned as these amps fascinate me

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Thanks for asking. The US MSRP for the fully balanced dual-mono Quest pre-amplifier is $21,000. Add $2200 for the full carbon fiber internal shielding package.

• Wow
Reactions: Davetea

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Looking forward to hearing your listening impressions Steve.
Not sure if these links have been added yet ... I apologize if they are already referenced

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
I had these amps in my house yesterday and I was gobsmacked by their beauty and their size. Unlike many other class A amps I have owned, I usually higher some muscle to get them up my stairs to my sound room. Gary and I each carried one under our arm at 33 lbs each. Dimensions 14" x 9" x 5"

Just to put things in perspective here is a photo of the Westminster and my class A amps

View attachment 92200
You would have thought they would be handed !

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Reactions: gleeds

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing