Recent Concerts You've Enjoyed

Thought this might be a fun thread and a way to find out about acts on tour.

My wife and I saw the Smoke Fairies at the Tractor Tavern last evening as the opening act for Rasputina. The Smoke Fairies are a 'folk blues' duo from Wales and have been described as "Bob Dylan's dream." I thought that their debut release "Through Low Light and Trees" was one of last year's best. It was just the two principles singing and playing guitar. Really terrific concert with excellent acoustics and thankfully not too loud.

If you are ever in Seattle, the Tractor Tavern is a great venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Very fun people watching...I think my wife and I were the only ones without tattoos! I got to chat with them after their set and had my LP signed. I love the lilting Welsh accents!

Here's a video of "Hotel Room" from their debut LP:

[video]

concert3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Samara Joy at Jazz Alley this evening. We saw her last fall and it’s incredible how much more poised and confident she sounds. A budding superstar

7669B75F-68FA-4058-91D3-652F8F904DFA.jpeg

Reactions: Scott Naylor
The Lumineers at Forest Hills NY!

Rob :)

Attachments

• 20220617_210537(1).jpg
    20220617_210537(1).jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220617_210336.jpg
    20220617_210336.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 1
Earth, WInd and Fire and Santana at Bethel Woods (Woodstock) August 21

I saw Santana at Bethel Woods 3 years go and knew I would go see him again if he returned there, which he did last week. However, as much as I loved Santana (and he was his perennial great self at 75 years old), I thought Earth Wind and Fire stole the show, which is saying something. To begin, I thought all the original members were dead! WTF did I know? Turns out 3 of them were original (including the bass player and drummer) and they flat out rocked. And they have been doing it for 50 years! It's hard to open for Santana but I would have been happy if they kept playing even longer. They were hardly your typical opening act. While they played, the jumbo screen showed footage of them playing 50 years ago so that was really something special. But the "highlight" if I dare call it that, is that while I've been to a ton of concerts, I have never experienced music as loud as I heard that night...ever!

I've done CPR as a physician and and watched others do CPR and have to tell you that I don't think any chest compressions I've done or witnessed were as forceful as the bass I heard that night.Ok, I'm exaggerating, but not by much! It really should have been illegal. I simply cannot believe anyone could listen without earplugs and not suffer permanent damage. Here's a typical meter reading. SPL maxed out eventually at 113dB (for reference, a jet engine is 120dB). Holy crap. That was just beyond crazy. I'm genuinely surprised the sound didn't send anyone to the medical tent! A truly great show, but just ridiculous volume. The picture of the woman holding her hand behind her head was probably doing it to make sure her head wasn't blown off her shoulders,. I mean there's loud, very loud, and beyond crazy loud. This was the latter.

IMG_0512.jpg IMG_0509.PNG

Last edited:
Earth, WInd and Fire and Santana at Bethel Woods (Woodstock) August 21

I saw Santana at Bethel Woods 3 years go and knew I would go see him again if he returned there, which he did last week. However, as much as I loved Santana (and he was his perennial great self at 75 years old), I thought Earth Wind and Fire stole the show, which is saying something. To begin, I thought all the original members were dead! WTF did I know? Turns out 3 of them were original (including the bass player and drummer) and they flat out rocked. And they have been doing it for 50 years! It's hard to open for Santana but I would have been happy if they kept playing even longer. Thy were hardly your typical opening act. While they played, the jumbo screen showed footage of them playing 50 years ago so that was really something special. But the "highlight" if I dare call it that, is that while I've been to a ton of concerts, I have never experienced music as loud as I heard that night...ever!

I've done CPR as a physician and and watched others do CPR and have to tell you that I don't think any chest compressions I've done or witnessed were as forceful as the bass I heard that night.Ok, I'm exaggerating, but not by much! It really should have been illegal. I simply cannot believe anyone could listen without earplugs and not suffer permanent damage. Here's a typical meter reading. SPL maxed out eventually at 113dB (for reference, a jet engine is 120dB). Holy crap. That was just beyond crazy. I'm genuinely surprised the sound didn't send anyone to the medical tent! A truly great show, but just ridiculous volume. The picture of the woman holding her hand behind her head was probably doing it to make sure her head wasn't blown off her shoulders,. I mean there's loud, very loud, and beyond crazy loud. This was the latter.

View attachment 97380 View attachment 97381
You were just trying not to hear your wife telling you to take out the garbage. :)

Reactions: cjfrbw
The Lucerne Music Festival

I love going to concert halls and listening to the great orchestras of the world. Not only do the orchestras have personalities, but so do the halls. KKL Hall in Lucerne has been on my “to do” list for many years and I was supposed to go two years ago to the Lucerne Music Festival but Covid got in the way and so our trip was scrubbed. Fortunately, we were able to take advantage of visiting about a week ago and had the opportunity to attend 3 concerts over 4 nights as well as take in the lovely surroundings in Lucerne.

The Hall and the Music

KKL Hall is distinguished by world-class acoustics designed by Russell Johnson’s firm Artec and opened in 1998. The Concert Hall features some remarkable acoustical properties, including an extremely low quietness level of below 20 dB and mechanically variable room acoustics employing huge echo chambers surrounding the hall. It uses some sort of retractable electro acoustical system that cannot be seen, as well as an adjustable canopy to adjust the acoustics for various instrumentation from chamber to rock concerts to full orchestral performances. The Concert Hall has a gently rising main floor, plus four balcony levels – the lowest of which flows into the organ loft with additional seating, resulting in a total seat count of just under 2.000. The hall’s dimensions correspond to a classic 1:1:2 shoe box shape with a height of 22 meters (72ft), a width of 22 meters (72ft) and a length of 46 meters (150ft). The clear wood stage consists of 41 adjustable elements, with integral risers that are perfectly curved and rise from the floor to accommodate the wishes of any conductor. Situated at the front end of the house, directly above the stage, the Goll organ boasts 4,387 pipes. One of the hall’s most remarkable features is that the walls may appear plain white but many of them in fact are not walls, rather they are touch panel-controlled hydraulic doors that can be used to modify the reverberation time for different applications. Leo Beranek, the godfather of acousticians from MIT who compiled a famous list of the world’s greatest halls prior to his passing in 1968 ranked KKL as the 8th best hall in the world.

Any regular concert goer who regularly attends concerts, particularly in their home hall, probably knows that the sound varies depending on your seat. KKL is no exception. For that reason, I chose to buy tickets at 3 different locations in the hall for the 3 performances we attended.

For the first performance we heard Sir Anthony Pappano conducting the Orchestra dell’Accademia Nationale di Santa Cecillia-Rome performing:
-Rossini’s Overture L’italiana in Algeri
-Ravel’s Scheherazade
-Rimsky Korsakov’s Scheherazade

Our seats were on the Orchestra level floor, about 1/3rd of the way back and perfectly centered.

1 copy.jpeg

I was hoping that the revered reputation of the hall’s acoustics would help us avoid the unfortunate reality of my general experience in which orchestra floor seating has never been the best place to hear a concert. The sound was good, but as usual, there are consequences in which your ears are below the musicians’ knees which isn’t great since the sounds the musicians make generally go out and up rather than out and down. Oh well, still a very enjoyable experience especially because it was the first time I have heard Pappano conduct. As I learned from the people sitting next to me, it was just announced he will be returning to London to replace Simon Rattle as the conductor of the LSO in 2 years. (Rattle is supposedly returning to Munich for family reasons.) It was a controversial decision because it was made on short notice and he is best known as an opera conductor not a symphony conductor.

The second night featured Philippe Herreweghe (a Bernie Sanders look alike if ever there was one!) conducting the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra performing Haydn’s Creation.

2 copy.jpeg

The seats were elevated in the first tier, also about a 1/3rd down the hall. The sound was very good and even better than from the orchestra floor. The Creation is of course an oratorio and the 3 voices as well as the choir sounded lovely and clear in the hall, which was accompanied by a world class orchestra. Only an audiophile would complain because they didn’t have a direct line of sight to the last two upright basses sitting the furthest of the far right of the stage! Check out the curve risers that are like wood sculptures arising from the floor. Who else does this? Only the Swiss as far as I know!!

Attachments

• 3 copy.jpeg
    3 copy.jpeg
    885.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Lucerne Music Festival (con't)

The last night was Kirill Petrenko conducting the Berlin Philharmonic performing Mahler’s 7th. The seats for this performance were in the front row, near dead center in the second tier balcony.

. 3 copy.jpeg

Now we’re talkin! Simply marvelous sound in every respect. Clear, authoritative, spacious, moving, Just beautiful. One might note that the seats from the orchestra for Pappano’s Orchestra subtended a visual angle of about 70 degrees, whereas the seats for M7 subtended a visual angle of about 25 degrees. Yet there was no comparison in the sound. This is noteworthy from the audiophile point of view where we often take great pride in the “soundstage” our systems reproduce. But real world seating puts the idea of “soundstage” into a more proper perspective whereby we should remember that it is but one component of the sound we are trying to reproduce in the home environment and should not be considered a “false prophet” of the goodness or quality of the sound of our systems. The reason is obvious, which is namely, that what we really hear at home is the not necessarily the sound that we hear in a hall but rather, the sound of what the microphones record where the engineers place them. But nobody is recording orchestras from the 2nd or third tiers of the great concert halls of the world. That dog just don’t hunt.

BTW, the differences in sound with seat location in KKL is very analogous to that I have described for Carnegie. See post #1

An interesting observation- I noticed that Petrenko had a padded stool behind him on the podium. He actually spends a good deal of time conducting by leaning back on the stool, with his legs crossed at the ankles, as if he was waiting for a bus (but yet with his arms moving!). Just weird. I’ve never seen this before and somehow doubt they teach this method of conducting at Juilliard or Curtis.

Another observation. 85% of the men in the audience wore jackets and ties and the women were dressed very fashionably. Nobody dresses like that at Carnegie anymore, nor did they dress that way in Dallas, St. Louis, LA or Philly (this goes back many years). All I could think of was that it was very classy and no doubt very much appreciated by the musicians on stage. Is it a Swiss thing? I have no idea, but it’s something I will remember.

All 3 concerts were compelling performances by some of the world’s top ensembles. Not much else to say about that although if I had to deliver one-liners I would say that Rimsky Korsakov’s Scheherazade was the highlight of the first night, Bernie Sander’s unkempt hair (I mean Philippe Herreweghe’s) was the most memorable feature of the second night, and the 5th movement of M7 just rocked the casbah and made me want to throw away my stereo…again.

The Lucerne Music Festival Program

So much for the hall and the music. But I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the most shocking and disappointing aspect of the Festival, which was the programmatic theme highlighted all summer long of this superb festival. When I arrived at the hall for the first night’s concert, I noticed huge posters that advertised the theme of this year’s festival, which was, get ready for it, diversity.

4.png

Huge posters displaying this prominent theme graphically were everywhere. I thought to myself, OK, I get it. I’ll just roll with it since it’s impossible to ignore wokeism these days. I figured, just shut up and listen to the music, even though it seemed odd to me that Diversity was the clarion call of a music festival held in the whitest country of the world, with the whitest audiences I have ever seen, and played by 3 of the whitest orchestras on the planet. I wondered, what on earth could they be talking about as far as the music is concerned? It didn’t take me long to find out.

It began by reading the program notes for the first concert in which the author lamented that Rossini really had no right to misappropriate material from another culture when he wrote, “The Singing Turks” and Ravel wasn’t much different when he took advantage stories from the East to write his song cycle based on the tales of the Arabian Nights. But he then went on to remind us that Rimsky-Korsakov’s musical interpretation of these “diverse” stories were really a distraction in which the “meta-layer of ideal love’ ultimately purges the murderous resolutions of the Sultan. Bet you never heard that one before.

It gets better. The program notes for The Creation were, according to the author (the same guy wrote the program notes for all 3 concerts), not primarily about Haydn’s interpretation of the book of Genesis, but rather, all about diversity. After all, the first part is all about the creation of light, the heavens, the earth and the sea; part 2 is all about the creation of animals and humans, and the third part is about Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. What could be more diverse than that? Thus all these mirror the earth’s diversity and that, suggests the author, is what Haydn’s composition was all about. How such a contrived misguided, interpretation could be allowed to be published in a Festival’s program guide is a mystery to me, but there it was.

But don’t even get me started on the drivel this guy wrote about Mahler’s masterful composition by suggesting that it was the diversity of darkness and light that was the foundation for the allegory that Mahler was trying to express in his musical expression of seeking eternal joy. It seemed that this guy was so intent on wanting to make Mahler’s 7th a sophomoric expose of diverse wokeness that it just left me shaking my head wondering if he understood the real diversity Mahler endured during his life?

I don't know. Maybe it’s just me? Who doesn’t welcome diversity in music and culture? But having it rammed down your throat artificially at a music festival to suggest this was the intent or realm of compositions written centuries ago just seemed too “in your face” for me. What are you gonna do? As I said, just shut up and listen. The beauty of music erases a lot of sins.

Good thing I wound up my European trip at Teatro La Scala two nights ago listening to a lovely recital by Lithuanian soprano Amsik Gregorian. No need to comment on the sound of one of the world’s great opera halls. And the best part? The word “diversity” didn’t appear once in the program featuring the music of Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff.

5 copy.jpeg

Last edited:
The Lucerne Music Festival

I love going to concert halls and listening to the great orchestras of the world. Not only do the orchestras have personalities, but so do the halls. KKL Hall in Lucerne has been on my “to do” list for many years and I was supposed to go two years ago to the Lucerne Music Festival but Covid got in the way and so our trip was scrubbed. Fortunately, we were able to take advantage of visiting about a week ago and had the opportunity to attend 3 concerts over 4 nights as well as take in the lovely surroundings in Lucerne.

The Hall and the Music

KKL Hall is distinguished by world-class acoustics designed by Russell Johnson’s firm Artec and opened in 1998. The Concert Hall features some remarkable acoustical properties, including an extremely low quietness level of below 20 dB and mechanically variable room acoustics employing huge echo chambers surrounding the hall. It uses some sort of retractable electro acoustical system that cannot be seen, as well as an adjustable canopy to adjust the acoustics for various instrumentation from chamber to rock concerts to full orchestral performances. The Concert Hall has a gently rising main floor, plus four balcony levels – the lowest of which flows into the organ loft with additional seating, resulting in a total seat count of just under 2.000. The hall’s dimensions correspond to a classic 1:1:2 shoe box shape with a height of 22 meters (72ft), a width of 22 meters (72ft) and a length of 46 meters (150ft). The clear wood stage consists of 41 adjustable elements, with integral risers that are perfectly curved and rise from the floor to accommodate the wishes of any conductor. Situated at the front end of the house, directly above the stage, the Goll organ boasts 4,387 pipes. One of the hall’s most remarkable features is that the walls may appear plain white but many of them in fact are not walls, rather they are touch panel-controlled hydraulic doors that can be used to modify the reverberation time for different applications. Leo Beranek, the godfather of acousticians from MIT who compiled a famous list of the world’s greatest halls prior to his passing in 1968 ranked KKL as the 8th best hall in the world.

Any regular concert goer who regularly attends concerts, particularly in their home hall, probably knows that the sound varies depending on your seat. KKL is no exception. For that reason, I chose to buy tickets at 3 different locations in the hall for the 3 performances we attended.

For the first performance we heard Sir Anthony Pappano conducting the Orchestra dell’Accademia Nationale di Santa Cecillia-Rome performing:
-Rossini’s Overture L’italiana in Algeri
-Ravel’s Scheherazade
-Rimsky Korsakov’s Scheherazade

Our seats were on the Orchestra level floor, about 1/3rd of the way back and perfectly centered.

View attachment 97609

I was hoping that the revered reputation of the hall’s acoustics would help us avoid the unfortunate reality of my general experience in which orchestra floor seating has never been the best place to hear a concert. The sound was good, but as usual, there are consequences in which your ears are below the musicians’ knees which isn’t great since the sounds the musicians make generally go out and up rather than out and down. Oh well, still a very enjoyable experience especially because it was the first time I have heard Pappano conduct. As I learned from the people sitting next to me, it was just announced he will be returning to London to replace Simon Rattle as the conductor of the LSO in 2 years. (Rattle is supposedly returning to Munich for family reasons.) It was a controversial decision because it was made on short notice and he is best known as an opera conductor not a symphony conductor.

The second night featured Philippe Herreweghe (a Bernie Sanders look alike if ever there was one!) conducting the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra performing Haydn’s Creation.

View attachment 97610

The seats were elevated in the first tier, also about a 1/3rd down the hall. The sound was very good and even better than from the orchestra floor. The Creation is of course an oratorio and the 3 voices as well as the choir sounded lovely and clear in the hall, which was accompanied by a world class orchestra. Only an audiophile would complain because they didn’t have a direct line of sight to the last two upright basses sitting the furthest of the far right of the stage! Check out the risers that are like wood sculptures arising from the floor. Who else does this? Only the Swiss as far as I know!!
Great report! Was there earlier this year for a Jan Garbarek concert.

An interesting observation- I noticed that Petrenko had a padded stool behind him on the podium. He actually spends a good deal of time conducting by leaning back on the stool, with his legs crossed at the ankles, as if he was waiting for a bus (but yet with his arms moving!). Just weird. I’ve never seen this before and somehow doubt they teach this method of conducting at Juilliard or Curtis.

He broke his toe(s) on foot being held lame. The orchestra kindly provided him with a stool.

Patti Smith. Outdoor venue at Ghost Ranch. 1 1/2 hours north of Santa Fe NM. She's 75 and still got it. She was having trouble with the altitude though. Good sound sound system.

Reactions: Long Live Analog
Lucerne Music Festival (con't)

The last night was Kirill Petrenko conducting the Berlin Philharmonic performing Mahler’s 7th. The seats for this performance were in the front row, near dead center in the second tier balcony.

Balcony seats seats preferred. I'm sensing a pattern....
I also dislike orchestra seating. I enjoy seeing all the musicians and suspect that this may result in better sound.

How many rows of seating did the Lucerne balcony have?

I note that the renovated Geffen Hall will have a large orchestra level seating capacity, but its balconies only have four or rows. Those balconies would be my first choice when I come to visit.

I hope you will do a similar report on various seats in Geffen Hall in the coming months.

Ron

Balcony seats seats preferred. I'm sensing a pattern....
I also dislike orchestra seating. I enjoy seeing all the musicians and suspect that this may result in better sound.

How many rows of seating did the Lucerne balcony have?

I note that the renovated Geffen Hall will have a large orchestra level seating capacity, but its balconies only have four or rows. Those balconies would be my first choice when I come to visit.

I hope you will do a similar report on various seats in Geffen Hall in the coming months.

Ron
Ron
I don't have season tix for the NY Phil this year but will definitely catch an individual concert or 2. KKL balconies depend on level but mostly its 2-5 rows (top balcony has 8?). I know Leo Beranek thought Chicago Symphony Center was good, not great, but I think that really depends on the seats. The front center of the Lower Fadim may be the finest seats in the world. The clarity of each instrument section is mind-boggling. The upright basses in particular are incredible. Same for lower brass. I could go on. The boxes are also great especially if you get the front row (but as you know, there's no guaranty as their seat assignment system for the boxes is first come, first served. The "rule" is to change at intermision among the box seat holders but that doesn't work if there's no intermission!! I'm look at coming to Camina Burana in April. Some great seats are available!
Marty

Huge posters displaying this prominent theme graphically were everywhere. I thought to myself, OK, I get it. I’ll just roll with it since it’s impossible to ignore wokeism these days. I figured, just shut up and listen to the music, even though it seemed odd to me that Diversity was the clarion call of a music festival held in the whitest country of the world, with the whitest audiences I have ever seen, and played by 3 of the whitest orchestras on the planet. I wondered, what on earth could they be talking about as far as the music is concerned? It didn’t take me long to find out.

From this Guardian review of 2022 Lucerne Festival. It goes on to express the obvious concerns with hiring new graduates and how they will be whittled down to solid professionals capable in their business and relationships. ;)
Swiss concert audiences, diverse in language rather than ethnicity, are almost exclusively white, and not all were initially charmed by this theme. A New York Times report quoted a Swiss-based journalist asking: “Why are we following some sort of California agenda?” Lucerne’s director, Michael Haefliger, sees social awareness as an intrinsic part of the festival, the only limit to anything being quality.

From this Guardian review of 2022 Lucerne Festival. It goes on to express the obvious concerns with hiring new graduates and how they will be whittled down to solid professionals capable in their business and relationships. ;)
Good review! Nobody should have a problem with the riches diversity adds to our culture. What was unsettling was the contrived arguments made in the program notes that strained the credulity of the composers' purpose by framing them as banal social experiments at the time their compositions were written. Why not just focus on what we all came to hear, which was the music?

Last edited:
Reactions: rando
I've attached a photo of the Great Hall at the Krannert Center at the University of Illinois in Urbana. Note the large balcony. I attended a concert last season here by the Chicago Symphony. My seats were at the blue circle. The seats were picked by the director of Krannert Center as the best in the hall. The sound was quite good indeed.

Carnegie Hall has a substantial balcony. While I've only been there once, I've read reports of excellent sound in Carnegie's balcony.

I wonder why halls such as Geffen Hall have such limited "balcony" seating.

Attachments

• krannert great hall 2.jpg
    krannert great hall 2.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 3

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing