Recommended polish or wax for Avalon speakers?

aljordan

Jan 13, 2012
Southern Maine, USA
www.alanjordan.org
Hello,

I've had a set of Avalon speakers for many years and I am thinking a good polish might be in order. The finish is mapa burl with what appears to be a satin lacquer. Can anyone recommend a polish or wax that would be safe for the speakers, and any tips for applying?

Thank you,
Alan

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
The best wax by a mile is Renaissance wax. I use it all the time. Apply lightly with a cotton cloth. Let it set for a couple minutes and buff off with a dry cotton cloth.
The wax is available at woodcraft or rockler

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I use Pinnacle on my Magicos.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Just something to keep in mind... a satin lacquer finish (as described on the Avalons) is completely different than the high gloss finish on most Magicos and may be best preserved by different types of wax or polish.

Reactions: Audire

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Polish is more of a cleaner
Wax is more of a protectant.
Floor wax would be an option. Try a paste. You need to use a two step process. Clean with polish seal with wax.
Johnsons floor wax.Ace Hardware $6.99. WARNING!: As always test on small indiscrete area first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Just something to keep in mind... a satin lacquer finish (as described on the Avalons) is completely different than the high gloss finish on most Magicos and may be best preserved by different types of wax or polish.

I apologize. I have bad eyes and I read Estelon speakers, not Avalon. Huge difference.

Since the Avalons are wood, I would suggest a high quality furniture polish, such as Woodley‘s or ... What does Avalon state you should use?

Sorry again.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
The Renaissance wax I recommended is perfectly safe for a lacquer finish over veneer. I use this all the time. The small can of it will last a very long time as a little bit goes a long way. In case you need further information.

From Wikipedia: Renaissance Wax is a brand of microcrystalline wax polish used in antique restoration and museum conservation around the world. Commonly used to polish and conserve metal objects, it is also used on gemstones and such organic materials as wood, ivory, and tortoiseshell.

One caution: as you are buffing the wax be cautious around the edges to ensure the rag does not snag a rough piece of veneer that may be slightly lifted after years of use.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If the wood is not lacquer but poris the old English furniture polish is the way to go.

deaflin

Sep 19, 2022
The best wax by a mile is Renaissance wax. I use it all the time. Apply lightly with a cotton cloth. Let it set for a couple minutes and buff off with a dry cotton cloth.
The wax is available at woodcraft or rockler

Thanks a lot for the hint!

It worked perfectly.

Kind Regards,
David

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing