Recommended Tape Head Demagnetizer?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have been playing tapes a lot but I have not demagnetized my tape hea

What tape head demagnetizer do you recommend?

I see the Annis Han-D-Mag? Is this a good one people standardly use?

I see there are different versions of this device:

Annis Han-D-Mags are available in 8 different models. The more usual, standard Model 115-S, short probe model has a 2 1/4" long probe that is .415" thick. Long probe models have a 4 1/4" long probe. Thin probe models are only .315" thick

Which is the easiest model to use on a Studer head-block?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What is your exact procedure, step-by-step, for demagnetizing?

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Standard procedure, nothing fancy.

Get a long extension cord and take off your watch. Turn the machine OFF and remove the tape.

Turn the tool ON at least 1 meter away, approach the machine and go point by point, sliding the tip up and down and sideways on every part that tape touches, gently touching them.

When done, move the tool back 1 meter and turn it OFF.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
So the de-mag probe should physically touch the tape heads? I did not realize that.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Don't move the D-Mag toward or back too fast - maybe 20 seconds each way. Larry

Reactions: Lee and Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I ordered the Han-D-Mag, regular tip. Thank you!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Han-D-Mag instructions say "waive the probe slightly."

Is your technique to bring the probe towards the tape head slowly and then remove the probe slowly, without moving the probe left and right or up and down? Or do you move the probe left and right in front of the tape head?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The Han-D-Mag instructions say "waive the probe slightly."

Is your technique to bring the probe towards the tape head slowly and then remove the probe slowly, without moving the probe left and right or up and down? Or do you move the probe left and right in front of the tape head?
I normally move the Han-D-Mag slowly across the three heads of my headblocks (both Ampex and Otari) after bring the probe slowly toward the heads and then slowly withdrawing the Han-D-Mag until it is about 20 feet away before unplugging the Han-D-Mag. Larry

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I normally move the Han-D-Mag slowly across the three heads of my headblocks (both Ampex and Otari) after bring the probe slowly toward the heads and then slowly withdrawing the Han-D-Mag until it is about 20 feet away before unplugging the Han-D-Mag. Larry
Do you slowly wave it back-and-forth in front of the heads, or one continuous motion left to right or right to left?

You put an extension cord on the device to have a length of 20 feet?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Do you slowly wave it back-and-forth in front of the heads, or one continuous motion left to right or right to left?

Usually a continuous move. Not sure if it matters much. I do use an extension cord.

Reactions: Lee

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

A slow, smooth movement is mandatory. The main idea of demagnetization is that the sinusoidally symmetrical magnetic field decreases slowly, without discontinuities, until the peak field amplitude decreases to a very small residual value. Any abrupt change of field magnitude can magnetize the heads or surroundings, due to hysteresis. So the main idea is having a smooth continuous movement.

Magnetic field of a dipole scales with the inverse of the third power of distance. I consider five feet - my typical movement - a vey safe distance based on my measurements with my Akai demagnetizer.

Reactions: Lee

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A slow, smooth movement is mandatory. The main idea of demagnetization is that the sinusoidally symmetrical magnetic field decreases slowly, without discontinuities, until the peak field amplitude decreases to a very small residual value. Any abrupt change of field magnitude can magnetize the heads or surroundings, due to hysteresis. So the main idea is having a smooth continuous movement.

Magnetic field of a dipole scales with the inverse of the third power of distance. I consider five feet - my typical movement - a vey safe distance based on my measurements with my Akai demagnetizer.
Thank you!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The de-mag probe jumped to attach itself to the hinged Mu cover in front of the head block!

I am afraid I magnetized the whole works!

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Was there a difference in sound before and after?
No, but I would not expect there to be a sonic difference. It is not like I have been using the machine for years and never demagnetized it along the way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing