Record Cleaning and Realistic Expectations

jim94025

May 14, 2022
I recently purchased some Audio Intelligent solution #15 enzymatic pre clean to use with my VPI 16.5 prior to my usual cleaning with Disc Doctor cleaning solution followed by 3 distilled water rinses. I picked a record that had come from a collection in a particularly moldy room.The record was in excellent condition other than faint white splotchy marks all over that I assumed were mold. I pretreated with AI #15 for 5 min per AI’s instructions. After further cleaning and drying, the record was cleaner, but the splotches remained. Did I do something wrong? Could the splotches be something else?

A second record had inner runout marks I assumed were from the old plastic inner sleeve, but after going thru the same process, these marks did not clean up as well...Hmmm?

Would an US RCM like a Degritter do a better job? Other thoughts?

Please see the pics below.

Attachments

• IMG_6605.jpeg
    IMG_6605.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6607.jpeg
    IMG_6607.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 4
There is dirty and there is damaged.
How do they play?

Have you read Timas DIY record cleaning thread. Very long. A few divergent sections. Good info on chemicals to use and how to use them.

Reactions: tima
The record was in excellent condition other than faint white splotchy marks all over that I assumed were mold.

Rex has the right question: how does it sound?

I have seen markings like what are shown in your photos. Looking at those and from my experience with Audio Intelligent No. 15 and others of their enzyme cleaners, those marks may not be removable. I could be off base here -- speculation on my part. Leaving the enzyme solution on the record for longer than the product recommendation may help.

Check this discussion on cleaning moldy records, which involves hand and ultrasonic cleaning.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-cleaning-explained.36690/page-14#post-987305

Rex has the right question: how does it sound?

I have seen markings like what are shown in your photos. Looking at those and from my experience with Audio Intelligent No. 15 and others of their enzyme cleaners, those marks may not be removable. I could be off base here -- speculation on my part. Leaving the enzyme solution on the record for longer than the product recommendation may help.

Check this discussion on cleaning moldy records, which involves hand and ultrasonic cleaning.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-cleaning-explained.36690/page-14#post-987305
I agree...that IS the question and I will get to it this weekend. That said, I was just as curious to see how often this kind of mold is resistant to removal and it seems that it's not uncommon.

What about the second picture of the record with the run out groove markings? Plastic residual from inner sleeve and moist environment?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing