iSonic CS6.1-PRO ultrasonic record cleaner

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Confirming the broad acceptance of ultrasonic record cleaning, another desktop model appears in the marketplace. Here is the CS6.1-PRO from iSonic. This one is different from the current crop of slotted desktop cleaners.

iSonic CS61-Pro.jpg iSonic CS61-Pro 2.jpg

Here is a $999 compact (12.2"x6.8"x4.6"), 1.55 gallon, open-top machine described as capable of cleaning 10 records while offering max 600rpm spin drying. Both 220-240V and 100-120V offerings. It includes a 1 micron filter and supports cleaning of both 33? and 45 records. It appears to have a heater, thermometer and a timer. Empty the tank to run the spin-dry. Im guessing the shield over the records in the above picture is put in place for drying, so it doesn't fling water everywhere. The shield comes off for loading.

If width is 6.8" that means around ~1/2" between records which imo is too short-spaced to support 10 simultaneously. Records are 'protected' with a silicon coated gasket covering their labels, so my guess is the water line may come over the label. (I prefer a water line that just touches the run-out groove but does not cover it.) It does not appear to have spacers to increase the distance between records other than using the silicon coated gaskets. Practically it may support cleaning 4-5 records at a time, which is fine.

iSonic does not tell us an ultrasonic frequency. We don't know how many ultrasonic transducers it has, but 80 Watts of power seems very low for effective cleaning. For comparison, the Elmasonic P120 provides 330 W nominal power with a 1320 W peak.

An ergonomic factor to consider is loading, handling and unloading a spindles-worth of records. It is not clear if there is any provision to mount or hold the spindle, which may mean you hold it in your hand -- not clear how that works.

The CS6.1-PRO does accommodate rinsing which is good thing, but you will go through a fair amount of water. Granted that distilled water is cheap, just be prepared to haul several jugs from the grocery store. Yes, you could try to re-use the rinse water, but I cannot recommend doing so. Surfactant is included though formulary is unspecified other than saying it does not contain sulfuric acid, phosphorus and ammonia. Absent a reason not to use it, Tergitol 15-S-9 is my recommended cleaner.

This machine does not provide the convenience of today's single-slot machines (Klaudio, Degritter, AudioDesk). More records does mean more work. It does seem headed in the right direction and is less than half the price of those cleaners.

If you use an iSonic CS6.1-PRO it will be great to hear your thoughts about using it.

Reactions: Lagonda

Neil.Antin

Jul 9, 2021
Fremer did a review - iSonic 6.1 PRO 48kHz "Ultrasonic" Record Cleaning Machine | Tracking Angle. 80W is not going to get much cavitation intensity which will be compromised by the record spin speed of 10-rpm. But the high spin speed of 10-rpm when cleaning CS6.1-PRO | iSonic® Motorized Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Cleaner for 10 R – iSonic Inc., will just by agitation produce some cleaning especially at the outer groove. If 33.333-rpm gives 50-cm/sec at the outer, 10-rpm will give (10/33.333)(50cm/sec) = 15-cm/sec = ~0.5 fps. The ideal fluid velocity for cleaning is 3-6 fps (the book addresses in Chapter XII). No comment on cleaning 10-records at a time, that goes against every guideline for UT cleaning, but there will be some cleaning by just the fast 10 rpm clean speed, but advertising as a UT cleaning machine is a bit of a stretch.

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Fremer did a review - iSonic 6.1 PRO 48kHz "Ultrasonic" Record Cleaning Machine | Tracking Angle. 80W is not going to get much cavitation intensity which will be compromised by the record spin speed of 10-rpm. But the high spin speed of 10-rpm when cleaning CS6.1-PRO | iSonic® Motorized Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Cleaner for 10 R – iSonic Inc., will just by agitation produce some cleaning especially at the outer groove. If 33.333-rpm gives 50-cm/sec at the outer, 10-rpm will give (10/33.333)(50cm/sec) = 15-cm/sec = ~0.5 fps. The ideal fluid velocity for cleaning is 3-6 fps (the book addresses in Chapter XII). No comment on cleaning 10-records at a time, that goes against every guideline for UT cleaning, but there will be some cleaning by just the fast 10 rpm clean speed, but advertising as a UT cleaning machine is a bit of a stretch.

Thanks, Neil. The idea of cleaning as a result of the velocity of moving a record through water is interesting. Makes me wonder if anyone has taken this to an extreme.

Neil.Antin

Jul 9, 2021
Thanks, Neil. The idea of cleaning as a result of the velocity of moving a record through water is interesting. Makes me wonder if anyone has taken this to an extreme.
Tim,

Variations of it have been used where the water flow is moved past the record quickly - the Gem Dandy being a quasi-parts washer variation - Bing Videos. Otherwise, you would need to spin the record ~100-rpm to get the inner groove at near 3-fps. The inner groove at 33.333 rpm is 25 cm/sec (0.82 fps). I think this would be a bit messy (lots of spray) unless you had a shielded tank. After all is said & done, probably not very practical. For machine cleaning of records, it's hard to be the function, performance and practicality of a good UT setup.

Take care,
Neil

Neil.Antin

Jul 9, 2021
A member asked the following question on a PM, and instead of answering privately, for the benefit of all, I am going to post here:

Isonic now offer this: PSR01A | iSonic® Pump Station with Reservoir and Filter for P4875II+MV – iSonic Inc.

"I was thinking of using it as a way to clean and reuse what's in my tank, but I wanted to get your thoughts. It's much less sophisticated than the sort of cleaning DIY assembly provided in your PDF doc, and it only has a 10 micron filter. But I was thinking if I added an inline 1 micron filter - assuming the motor on this thing could deal with it, it might be an acceptable "almost pre packaged" way for me to do bath cleaning. Any thoughts?"

1. First, there are not many details and 10-micron (nominal) will not even filter all visible particles. Second, do not add an in-line 1-micron filter. The Isonic PSR01A is acting as a reservoir and performs batch filtration when it either drains or fills the UT tank. The top item that is a cylinder with acorn nut is a solenoid valve, and with only one hose connection, it aligns flow to the pump suction when draining the UT and then shifts to align the pump discharge to the UT tank when refilling. If you were to add an in-line 1-mciron filter it would be at the pump suction when draining the UT tank, and the pump will likely cavitate (and in short order eat itself) due to too much suction pressure drop.

2. Also, you may need to add a 24V power supply and if you add the cost of 1-micron filter (that as I said above not to add) is very near the cost of the Low Option in the PACVR book (see Table XXIV, UCM Pump-Filter System Parts List) which uses a 10-inch 0.35-micron nominal filter that should last about 1-year in-use. Note that the total price for the low option is $198, but without the $20 optional inline SAE switch, the cost is about $178, and a quick check shows the total current price should be about $175. One item to note some people have noted that the SeaFlow 21 pump is quite noisy and resilient mounting (rubber pad or grommets) is required,

3. As a low-cost option, Isonic does offer FTR01-P | iSonic® 1 Micron In-Water Filter for P4875II+MVR, P4875-NH+M – iSonic Inc. There is no detail on the pump flow rate, and the 1-mciron rating would be nominal and the actual performance is anyone's best guess, but it appears to be a low-cost take-off from CleanerVinyl: Ultrasonic Vinyl Cleaning Systems which specifies a pump flow rate of 1.5-lpm. However, Isonic specifies the pump will operate at 12V and 24V, which means it has two flow rates low at 12V and high at 24V. Long story short (see book Section XIV.15), when filtering by recirculation there is something called the filter half-life and for a 6-L tank, the 1/2-life is 2.52-min and it takes 5-half-lives to filter the tank 97%, so a 6-L tank would need ~13-min to filter. And, assuming a flow rate of 1.5-lpm, you would not want to use the pump/filter when cleaning with a UT <~60kHz otherwise the cavitation intensity will be decreased (see book Chapter XIV for reasons). So, you run the pump/filter in-between batches for ~13-min. As far as how long the filter will last - they say 300-500 records which at $10/each is not bad, but you are tied to their filter. The DIY Low Option 0.35-micron nominal filter is <$20, is a standard size and should be able to clean 1000's.

4. One other item, when moving to a UT pump/filtration, you should monitor TDS and refresh when the tank reads 5-10 ppm assuming with decent distilled water you are starting with <1 ppm, and this is TDS meter I recommend - COM-100 – hmdigital.com. There are cheaper on Amazon but not as accurate, your choice.

If there are other question, please post to this thread so others may benefit from the discussion.

Take care,
Neil

Reactions: tima

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Tons of great info! Thanks Neil!

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
@Neil.Antin, would there be any value in using the PSR01A first, as a kind of “first stage” filter, then using the FTR01-P? From what I’m seeing in your post, it seems like the 10 micron filter in the PSR01A wouldn‘t be very effective at all, so maybe not. I wonder if that 10 micron could be replaced with something finer?

Neil.Antin

Jul 9, 2021
@Neil.Antin, would there be any value in using the PSR01A first, as a kind of “first stage” filter, then using the FTR01-P? From what I’m seeing in your post, it seems like the 10 micron filter in the PSR01A wouldn‘t be very effective at all, so maybe not. I wonder if that 10 micron could be replaced with something finer?
Tony:

For what you are cleaning there is not much benefit to first filter with a 10-micron nominal filter before filtering with a 1-micron filter. As far as changing out the 10-micron filter, with what are you going to change to? There are no details of the filter nor the pump (such as the pump curve), and w/o that info, there is no way I am going to make any recommendations - you are strictly on your own.

Take care,
Neil

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Understood, and thank you as always for your expertise.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing