Degritter Mark II

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
This refresh looks like it includes Pulse Mode, which may be new to the Degritter but not USC machines generally. Also some ergonomic difference its buttons. Still limited to 120kHz. If you know the Degritter, what other differences from the original version does this pre-delivery announcement suggest?

Availability: later November 2022
Price: ~ $2550 $3280 Music Direct

Degritter Mark II Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine​

Designed For You​

Distinctly Automatic
The Degritter is fully automatic, requiring no additional effort after the cleaning cycle has started. Use the free time for listening to records instead of cleaning them.
Simple Water Management
The machine has a convenient removable water tank for replacing cleaning water.
Perfect Touch Buttons NEW!
We have perfected the feel and function of the machine’s buttons. The rotations and presses provide most satisfying feel you will be unable to let go of.

Ultrasonic Cleaning Architecture​

4 Transducer Layout
Ultrasonic cleaning tank that’s in Degritter is purpose built for vinyl records. The tank has two ultrasonic transducers on either side emitting 120 kHz ultrasonic vibrations, evenly distributing the cleaning energy across the record’s surface.
Power Drive 2.0 NEW!
Pulse Mode NEW!

Pulse Mode cleaning is a feature offered by the Power DriveTM 2.0 ultrasonic generator. During pulsing, ultrasonic transducers rapidly switch on and off at high power. This gives enhanced cavitation in water, but keeps the average power consumption low.
Frequency Sweep
The driving frequency of the Power DriveTM ultrasonic generator sweeps between 120-125 kHz. This evens the cavitation energy distribution in the water, minimizing losses and giving an uniform cleaning action.
300 Watts
The average power output of all the washing programs is 300 W. This makes Degritter the most powerful ultrasonic record cleaner on the market per liter of water. The higher 120 kHz driving frequency keeps your records safe.

Clever Features​

Active Filtering
Cleaning water is pumped through a replaceable filter during washing. Continuous filtration keeps removed dirt from ending back up on the record.
Record Safe Temperature Control
Degritter monitors water temperature and prevents it from rising to levels harmful for vinyl records. High temperatures are managed by automatic cooling cycles.
Smart Drying
Records are dried by a flow of filtered air. Both the drying time and fan speed can be adjusted to keep noise levels in check and to prevent static electricity build up.
Postwash Rinse Option
Degritter supports rinsing records during washing cycles with the help of a separate water tank.

Dimensions​

37 × 28 × 21 cm​

14.6 × 11 × 8.3 in​

Supported Voltage​

100 V – 240 V AC​

Ultrasonic Cleaning​

120 kHz / 300 W​

Water Tank​

Removable​

1.4 L​

0.37 gal​

Noise Levels​

50 dB – 70 dB​

edit: update price per Mike L's note below

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Tim, thanks.....the Mark 2 seems to have some added value. might be time pull the trigger and pair it with my KLaudio.

but.....i think the Mark II is $3280 USD (new Music Direct Catalogue received yesterday), or 2550 UK Pounds. not $2550 USD. if you've seen it at the $2550 USD price please PM me about it.

676D8032-8432-4066-9D54-C6BE18CF786C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

djsina2

May 30, 2019
The new software for the old machine also recalibrated the knobs, easier to use now. Also displaying the water temp while washing is a nice touch. Such a great machine being able to constantly make these updates at no cost or hassle to the user. Firmware upgrade takes seconds.

Reactions: Steveo and tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
i think the Mark II is $3280 USD (new Music Direct Catalogue received yesterday), or 2550 UK Pounds. not $2550 USD. if you've seen it at the $2550 USD price please PM me about it.

Thanks for the update. I believe my error was seeing a price in Euros and thinking those were still in parity with USD. I had not seen the Music Direct price. $3280 seems kinda on the high side - we'll see how the market reacts.

The KLAudio stubbornly continues to deny surfactant while the Degritter keeps its cavitators at 120kHz. Put the two together and one should be able to get a record clean. ;)

I'm thinking the Degritter is using newer ultrasonic units.

And I give Degritter credit for a section in their latest manual that covers cleaning the interior with a toothbrush and IPA and then multiple washes with vinegar (presumably to attack hard water scale - use distilled water to avoid this.) It's the first covered top desktop unit I've seen that discusses cleaning. Open top USC units with metal interiors are simple to clean.

All efforts from vendors to encourage record cleaning are welcome. I believe in keeping your collection clean. It helps promote and extend the viability of the analog hobby!

Last edited:

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
The new software for the old machine also recalibrated the knobs, easier to use now.
Disagree with this. I found the new handling mode cumbersome compared to the previous.

I wonder whether the transducers in the Mk II have a longer expected lifetime? My original model is living on borrowed time for sure as I'm nearing 2500 cleans.

Reactions: aangen and tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I wonder whether the transducers in the Mk II have a longer expected lifetime? My original model is living on borrowed time for sure as I'm nearing 2500 cleans.

I don't have a Degritter. Is the tank made of metal on the sides where the transducers are? If so, try to look at the sides for signs of a different coloration in the metal. Most likely a lighter grey color where the transducers are fastened on the side. That can indicate the metal itself is wearing thin, which is one place all USCs will weaken and eventually fail. Some use stronger steel than others. These machines are consumables not lifetime machines.

Transducers can also fail. I don't know how easy it is to see inside the Degritter - maybe a strong flashlight during operation might show one or more transducers operating to a lesser degree. With open top tanks this is easy to spot. The aluminum foil test can also tell about operation. Save a sample to compare with another sample later on.

You've cleaned a lot of records!

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Disagree with this. I found the new handling mode cumbersome compared to the previous.

Interesting. I did not like the ultra sensitive feel of the knobs on the older firmware. Anyone know what the lifespan is in regards to number of cleans? I’m at 1100.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
The KLAudio stubbornly continues to deny surfactant while the Degritter keeps its cavitators at 120kHz. Put the two together and one should be able to get a record clean. ;)
Having owned the original KL and Degritter I’d say the Degritter does a much better job cleaning, not to mention the whole list of other benefits. Really no reason to own the KL.

Reactions: aangen

Neil.Antin

Jul 9, 2021

Did you miss this SH post - https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/degritter-users.856572/page-117#post-29932340 (Degritter Users | Page 117 | Steve Hoffman Music Forums. Post #2917) Degritter appears to be offering a refurb service at what appears a reasonable cost. Wonder if they may be able to upgrade to the MK-II and add the pulse mode.

Reactions: tima

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I’m at 1100
The failure for the original Degritter seems more luck than anything - some fail early, some later. Highest I've seen is a couple of users quoting 3000+ cleans. Much of which depends on which cleaning level you are using (Quick/Medium/Heavy). Expected failure rate, from what I recall, is somewhere in the 2000s for the original transducers. As Neil pointed out, there is now a good refurb route available, and any failures within warranty seem to be dealt with for free.

But, all this does mean the Degritter is effectively a consumable with a finite lifespan, which is why I am hoping that newer models have improved longevity of the transducers.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
Wonder if they may be able to upgrade to the MK-II and add the pulse mode.
That would be interesting... there is also talk of trade-ins being made available.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
The failure for the original Degritter seems more luck than anything - some fail early, some later. Highest I've seen is a couple of users quoting 3000+ cleans. Much of which depends on which cleaning level you are using (Quick/Medium/Heavy). Expected failure rate, from what I recall, is somewhere in the 2000s for the original transducers. As Neil pointed out, there is now a good refurb route available, and any failures within warranty seem to be dealt with for free.

But, all this does mean the Degritter is effectively a consumable with a finite lifespan, which is why I am hoping that newer models have improved longevity of the transducers.
Dunno. I’m at about 1k cleans over 3 years and my Degritter works flawlessly. If I get another 2k cleans out if it over the next 6 years and it dies I won’t be too heartbroken.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Having owned the original KL and Degritter I’d say the Degritter does a much better job cleaning, not to mention the whole list of other benefits. Really no reason to own the KL.

I understand. I was replying to Mike L who already owns the Klaudio.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Reactions: aangen and rDin

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Confirmed this with Degritter. $390 USD + shipping for refurb service.
I'd be happy with either outcome, although happier with the 2k additional clean cycles. Actually I expect my clean rate to decrease dramatically over time. I've ultrasonically cleaned most of the records in my collection I actually listen to, and all new acquisitions when they come into the house, but the remaining records and incoming records are few and far between. Probably less than 5 per month.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Think I will stay with my old Keith Monks Classic RCM.
I can change all of the parts if anything breaks down myself.
It's a very easy RCM to work on even if you only have moderate DIY skills !

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Yeah, its a cool machine - mechanical, no computer. A bit more work but it will clean a record.

Is that your XL DC in your avatar? Nice table.
Hi 'tima'
Yes it is my XL DC with a 4Point 11" and a MSL Eminent Ex linked to a CH P1 to the MC1 connection for current / transimpedance input.
Sounds fantastic linked to my Hifiman TOTL EF1000 headphone & speaker amp & Susvara headphones.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing