Recording R2R with the Tascam DA-3000

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Playing around this morning recording some music from reel to reel with a Tascam DA-3000 digital recorder. I'm really impressed with the quality of the DSD128 music when playing back from the DA-3000, compared to the original tape source. Next I will run some BNC cables from the DA-3000 to the EMM Labs Mietner DAC and see if there is an improvement.

DA3000.jpg

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Love this experiment as I have been meaning to do the same (though with PCM capture)! Anxious to hear your further experiences :).

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I find the DSD128 file is very, and I mean very, close to the original source. I ran the Tascam into one input and the Mietner into another, so I could A/B them. The Tascam is really good but the Mietner is better with a sound that is a bit smoother on the edges and even closer to an analog sound. I could live with either.

This is even true when I recorded some vinyl.

vinyltodsd128.jpg

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
I find the DSD128 file is very, and I mean very, close to the original source. I ran the Tascam into one input and the Mietner into another, so I could A/B them. The Tascam is really good but the Mietner is better with a sound that is a bit smoother on the edges and even closer to an analog sound. I could live with either.

View attachment 22322

Yes, and there are a number of DSD 128 music downloads you can get these days. Check out sites like Blue Coast, DSD File, Native DSD, eOnkyo and several others.
Some very fine listening there. And of course, there are also DSD 256 music downloads if you want to crank things up yet another notch. :)

merrillaudio

Another good one is http://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/ I have several of their DSD from tape files and like them.

View attachment 22322

HDTT was using the Tascam for a while until they went to a high end DAW. Excellent sound and also tracks.

I did not try your experiment with the Tape and the Meitner. However I did experience the Meitner and the Emm labs DAC2X. The difference was startling, it was like the whole system was changed out. Initially it is very disconerting and feels fake. On listening further, it is closer to what music should be like. It would be a very interesting comparison if you could get your hands on a DAC2X to compare to the tape with your a/b switch.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing