Reel to Reel Head Wire out and associated topics

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
hello Tang,

here is a picture of my 2 Studers with the direct head outputs; both installed by Ki Choi. the left side has the modified top cap with the head switch mounted on the back side of the top cap. the right side is 'nude' and that switch is not yet mounted on the top cap. yes; Ki thinks it is preferable to run the cables on top as far as signal purity. but my recollection from our talks about this is that Ki has not actually listened for the comparison, it's just his sense (which I agree with). as far as aesthetics, i'm good with it and have never felt it detracted from the Studer look.

the wires on the left side are not properly located as of this picture since we had been inside those top panels and the little sticker wire holders are not currently installed. I have just not got around to buy a couple more at the hardware store.

I have no plans to ever change this approach.

View attachment 38108

Interesting photo Mike.

It's a shame it's not in a thread titled head direct out on Studer A810, A812 and A820.

Anyway, here are my questions.

Is your head out cable shielded twisted pair or coax?

How much did the head resonance change when you connected it?

Are there VU meters on the front of the outboard tape stage?

Can we see a picture of that?

Lastly, if the reason you leave the top cover off of the headblock is for easier azimuth adjustments, the factory mod for that is quite simple.

If you send me the cover, I'll do it for you at no charge.

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
.. . I would not have known there is an amp next to the head in the a820. . .Tang

Are you interested in why it is there?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Fred, been very busy today and do intend on answering your questions (to the limits of my ability) when I get a chance. just did not want you to think I'm ignoring you. :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Mine is wired internally with a separate internal board. Personally IMO it is more aesthetically pleasing

If Nick did that for you, maybe he would do the same for me. Yes, it would look more pleasing.

Tang

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Interesting photo Mike.

It's a shame it's not in a thread titled head direct out on Studer A810, A812 and A820.

these subjects seem to come up randomly in threads. trying to keep them sorted out is like herding cats.

Anyway, here are my questions.

Is your head out cable shielded twisted pair or coax?

Ki provided the cables, so I cannot speak to the spec of this cable. it's cable used by Ki in his nuclear power plant testing as I understand it. his engineers tested and selected it. he was very satisfied with the audio performance, as have I been.

this was 8-9 years ago when he did this direct head switch install. I've been very happy with the performance, and i easily prefer it (this wire and the King Cello output electronics) to the stock output circuit performance. that is just personal preference, I've not measured either this or the stock outputs.

How much did the head resonance change when you connected it?

Are there VU meters on the front of the outboard tape stage?

Can we see a picture of that?

no idea on the resonance change (whatever that might be), and no on the VU meters for the King Cello (almost every tape I have is similar EQ and type---the Tape Project spec).......so the single settings seem to work consistently. you can see a picture of the King Cello output electronics in post #56 of this thread. it is the 2 rectangular aluminum boxes on the table between my 2 Studers.

added note; Charles King does now offer VU meters and adjustments for the King Cello to be retrofitted. who knows, I might get that done at some point if I get more educated as to what i'm missing.

Lastly, if the reason you leave the top cover off of the headblock is for easier azimuth adjustments, the factory mod for that is quite simple.

If you send me the cover, I'll do it for you at no charge.

I don't do azimuth adjustments, the top is off on the one Studer since the head switch is not yet mounted into the rear wall. but I really appreciate that offer to install that modification and I will seriously consider doing that once I understand more the benefit it provides.

I am personally very satisfied with the look of the wires running on the outside of my Studers, but completely respect and understand other's preferring it tucked inside. :)

maybe if it's just tucked inside and there are no junctions (including no plugs and still continuous cable into the outboard electronics) or added bit's in the signal path there would be no effect on performance. OTOH if that wire is connected to plugs on the rear panel there likely is some loss of that minimal signal with that added connection as there is with a phono cable.

Last edited:

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Mike,

You DO need meters - they are "way cool" - and a lot of Audiophiles listen with their eyes!

Charles

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

You DO need meters - they are "way cool" - and a lot of Audiophiles listen with their eyes!

Charles

I dim the lights for my most involved listening. and.....well....er.....actually......typically meter bridges on my Studer's (and many other decks ) happen to be at ear height sitting down. and they are directly to the side of my listening position. which for me that turns out to be reflective and harmful to the sound. so I place a towel over both meter bridges which improves the system performance. OTOH where I have my King Cello, adding meters would not be a problem, since it's well below ear height (although I have found you never know what is a reflective problem unless you test it).

for years those Studer (and others previously) meter bridges never were an obvious problem sonically. but as I tamed my room a few years ago, and little by little eliminated all the harmful reflections one by one, eventually the meter bridges were revealed as a problem.

so while I agree that meters are 'way cool', you only see mine now when I take pictures.......since people like to 'see' them. hearing them is a different story:rolleyes:.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am personally very satisfied with the look of the wires running on the outside of my Studers, but completely respect and understand other's preferring it tucked inside. :)

maybe if it's just tucked inside and there are no junctions (including no plugs and still continuous cable into the outboard electronics) or added bit's in the signal path there would be no effect on performance. OTOH if that wire is connected to plugs on the rear panel there likely is some loss of that minimal signal with that added connection as there is with a phono cable.

It seems like the cleanest signal is achieved by your setup...having the wires run directly from the head block to the pre amp. There are no junctions and the wire's opportunity to pick up stray noise is limited.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
It seems like the cleanest signal is achieved by your setup...having the wires run directly from the head block to the pre amp. There are no junctions and the wire's opportunity to pick up stray noise is limited.

soldered straight to head terminals and no joints or solder splices imo
hot and fast iron and it´s no problem

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hello Mike,

It appears our machine is a bit different. Mine has this trapezoid black plastic button that acts like a tape tensioner. See pics when I pressed. If this mechanism is taken out maybe I can route the wire through it...just my silly thinking. I can use the VU meter of the Doshi instead if redo the direct headout. Nick will arrive 18 next month. I have seen pics of his work at Myles. Although couldn’t do the internal wire routing, but the work looks pretty neat. Will see how it goes next month.

View attachment 38152
View attachment 38153

Kind regards,
Tang

Hi Tang
That switch is for you when in fast winding for tape will not touch heads, you no need pair of UV meter fix to amp unless you want to watch when playing. to buy a HP AC volt meter in old analogue type (from Ebay) for adjusting out put level , also you can buy two of them for both channel because they are very cheap now
tony ma

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
. . . Mine has this trapezoid black plastic button that acts like a tape tensioner. . . Tang

Hello Tang,

The button you are pressing on your A820 quarter-inch headblock is called the applause fader.

It mechanically lifts the tape away from the record head, introducing (obviously) a severe record spacing loss. Experts could learn to manipulate this mechanical fader to reliably fade the recorded signal about about 20 or 30 dB or more. This was intended for making the often objectionably loud applause suddenly occurring in a live concert recording, much less objectionable.

It's an old, primitive, even crude technology that a few very important Studer customers wished to see on the flagship Studer machine, even of the 1980s.

I see you are using a Studer type 105 headblock, a time code headblock.

Frankly, that's a big no-no for optimum audiophile playback of tapes.

Returning to your issue with the output level on playback of certain tapes, if you will remove the top cover of this block (loosen the two, prominently visible counter-sunk screws with a 3mm hex driver tool) and snap a picture of the wiring on the insides of this headblock, I can probably tell you how your direct out modification is configured. As already mentioned, I'm made very interested by that curious switch on your machine, down in the transport control section, that you earlier showed us.

You may send the pic to me privately if you wish.

Thanks.

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
. . . no need pair of UV meter fix to amp unless you want to watch when playing. . .

Frankly, this is the kind of startling misinformation far too often seen on the audiophile tape renaissance forums over the past ten or fifteen years. Tape professionals who occasionally look in here, find the uninformed dialog simply astonishing.

VU meters (or preferably, their more modern equivalents) are in fact essential in any professional tape playback setting.

Imagine a professional mastering engineer, with a master tape, going out to someone's studio or home to play that tape.

Step one: go to the master tape's alignment tones section and make the repro head azimuth adjustment.

VU meters make this adjustment easy, quick, supremely accurate and repeatable.

Step two: align the repro electronics to the tones on the master tape, aligning to get ruler flat response.

How can you do that without VU meters or their equivalent?

On a real master tape, the audio program has been professionally mastered with the end result approved by the artists.

You're not supposed to now go and arbitrarily make changes to the response on playback.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
To continue the discussion from the hijacked Ed Pong Thread...

Fred's last comment

Frankly, this is the kind of startling misinformation far too often seen on the audiophile tape renaissance forums over the past ten or fifteen years. Tape professionals who occasionally look in here, find the uninformed dialog simply astonishing.

VU meters (or preferably, their more modern equivalents) are in fact essential in any professional tape playback setting.

Imagine a professional mastering engineer, with a master tape, going out to someone's studio or home to play that tape.

Step one: go to the master tape's alignment tones section and make the repro head azimuth adjustment.

VU meters make this adjustment easy, quick, supremely accurate and repeatable.

Step two: align the repro electronics to the tones on the master tape, aligning to get ruler flat response.

How can you do that without VU meters or their equivalent?

On a real master tape, the audio program has been professionally mastered with the end result approved by the artists.

You're not supposed to now go and arbitrarily make changes to the response on playback.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Fred, while I can appreciate your "distaste" for audiophiles, my guess is that we/they are keeping a lot of technicians in business so you need to learn to work with us!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing