Ref6 tube rolling

TLi

May 27, 2016
I have the 6H6P running on my Ref 10 for two days, spent about 10 hours of listening. They opened up already.

It was a little dim, ie reduced treble energy, in the first few hours, bass was too strong and not very controlled. Now it is back to normal. The sound is obviously different from 6H30DR, it is softer and more mellow. I think every ARC user should at least have some 6H6P's with them for a change.

I first buy a few unmatched to try since they were very cheap, about US$3 each. I just ordered matched octlet from Moldova. They should sound even better.

Reactions: tima and CKKeung

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I've been using 6N6P for many years. It's used as a 211 driver in a pair of monoblocks I have.

To be frank I only use it because there isn't much in the way of alternatives. It is therefore hard to know if it really is that good. I never generally find Russian valves to be the best sonically for any small signal valve, as there are usually many alternatives. I have always found very high reliability in Russian valves, though.

A while back I replaced some with gold grids. Only to find the ones I had were gold grids. I am not sure all 6N6P are gold grids, whether described as such or not.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
I’m confused what is the tube no. is 6H6P or 6N6P or they 2 different tubes .

Thanks in advance ,

Tdh888

TLi

May 27, 2016
I’m confused what is the tube no. is 6H6P or 6N6P or they 2 different tubes .

Thanks in advance ,

Tdh888

The marking is in Russian alphabet. Russian "N" usually translate as English "H". Russian has 33 alphabet, not all letters have English counterparts.

6H6P and 6N6P are the same.

Reactions: RussR and CKKeung

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Thanks for the clarification TLi . Btw I read in the tube asylum ( Audio Asylum ) we’re in Viktor Khomenko of BAT and they’re consensus was the 6N6P could work as a substitute for the 6H30 ( specially for a circuit that is designed to utilise the strengths of the 6H30) but it won’t last that long . And one must have a lot of spare 6N6P .

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
It was a little dim, ie reduced treble energy, in the first few hours, bass was too strong and not very controlled. Now it is back to normal. The sound is obviously different from 6H30DR, it is softer and more mellow. I think every ARC user should at least have some 6H6P's with them for a change.

Thanks for your report. Could you please say more about the sonic differences between the 6H30 and the 6N6P in your Ref 10. Do you have a preference?

Without having tried the 6N6P, from the descriptions here thus far, I can imagine "softer and more mellow" having a more preferred effect on the Ref 6 / 6SE which is a bit more forward/bolder than the Ref 10. Conjecture only.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Thanks for your report. Could you please say more about the sonic differences between the 6H30 and the 6N6P in your Ref 10. Do you have a preference?

Without having tried the 6N6P, from the descriptions here thus far, I can imagine "softer and more mellow" having a more preferred effect on the Ref 6 / 6SE which is a bit more forward/bolder than the Ref 10. Conjecture only.
Tima i would not call it in Ref6 “softer and mellow”. I find the preamp after installing those just much more musical/natural overall, where speed, dynamics, extensions, bass precision and control are all there.
Don’t know if this makes sense somehow.

Cheers,
G

Reactions: tima

TLi

May 27, 2016

It would be just my unmatched tubes which is softer. I ordered another lot of matched 6N6P from eBay, the result should be better, at least they function flawlessly.

Having first used original Sovtek 6H30, then changed to EH 6H30 with gold pin, further changed to NOS 6H30DR, I can say 6N6P is more musical, if you don’t like the word soft. Sovtek and EH are harsh and bright, NOS 6H30DR has the best resolution and dynamic, 6N6P has a vintage tube sound, ie mellow mid range and deep bass.

Sound and preference are system dependent, but the basic characteristics are there. The good thing is 6N6P is dirt cheap, just a few bugs each. Every ARC users and 6H30 users should buy some to tune the sound.

Now 6N6P are installed in the power supply unit of my Ref 10 and Ref Phono 10, 6H30DR are used in the main unit. I find this gives the best of both world.

Mind you, the effect of tube rolling in the power supply part is as significant as the main unit if not more. 6550 and 6H30 there determine the final sound to a large extent. If you use Sovtek 6H30 in the power section, 6N6P in main unit will smooth down the harshness. This maybe another nice combination.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Now 6N6P are installed in the power supply unit of my Ref 10 and Ref Phono 10, 6H30DR are used in the main unit. I find this gives the best of both world.

Interesting. Thanks for the follow-up. I have tried the same 6H30 varietals as you. I do not care for the Electro-Harmonix, though they probably came from the same plant as the others. I do like the original SED Winged-C 6550, with which the unit was voiced originally.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I do like the original SED Winged-C 6550, with which the unit was voiced originally.
I'm a bit lost regarding the 6550 in correlation with 6n6p? May you pls explain. Thanks!

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I'm a bit lost regarding the 6550 in correlation with 6n6p? May you pls explain. Thanks!

Sure. I did not mean to correlate it with the 6N6P per se, which I have not tried. Just commenting on tubes in ARC power supply since @TLi mentioned them. The original Winged-Cs haven't been made since ... I think 2011, but offer better control than the current ARC stock 6550. More recent Winged-C is not recommended.

TLi

May 27, 2016
Sure. I did not mean to correlate it with the 6N6P per se, which I have not tried. Just commenting on tubes in ARC power supply since @TLi mentioned them. The original Winged-Cs haven't been made since ... I think 2011, but offer better control than the current ARC stock 6550. More recent Winged-C is not recommended.

As for rolling 6550 in ARC power supply, I tried around 10 different types of 6550. It has a very large impact on the sound.

I now use two pairs of Tung Sol 6550 black plate in my two ARC’s. Once you listen to Tung Sol black plate, there is no turning back. Tubes in the old days, like 6N6P, have simpler design and less inner components but they often sound better. That’s why the original 6550 by Tung Sol is still the best.

Reactions: CKKeung and Golum

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
As for rolling 6550 in ARC power supply, I tried around 10 different types of 6550. It has a very large impact on the sound.

I now use two pairs of Tung Sol 6550 black plate in my two ARC’s. Once you listen to Tung Sol black plate, there is no turning back. Tubes in the old days, like 6N6P, have simpler design and less inner components but they often sound better. That’s why the original 6550 by Tung Sol is still the best.

Sure, NOS tubes of all sorts give the opportunity to modify sound. I'm familiar with the different 6550s. Some people like the GE6550A. I have some of those but don't use them. The original Tungsol 6550 black plate is NOS and quite expensive if they can be found. There is a newer version made by Reflektor in Russia. Which are you using?

TLi

May 27, 2016
Sure, NOS tubes of all sorts give the opportunity to modify sound. I'm familiar with the different 6550s. Some people like the GE6550A. I have some of those but don't use them. The original Tungsol 6550 black plate is NOS and quite expensive if they can be found. There is a newer version made by Reflektor in Russia. Which are you using?
I use the original Tung Sol in the late 50's and early 60's. Black plate is only found in the original ones. All later versions have grey plates with or without holes. I have tried them all.

Even for black plate, they have three versions with different number of getters. I found the most early version has the best sound. I posted a detailed report in local Chinese forum on all these 6550, you can have a look.

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=91460

Reactions: CKKeung and tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I use the original Tung Sol in the late 50's and early 60's. Black plate is only found in the original ones. All later versions have grey plates with or without holes. I have tried them all.

Even for black plate, they have three versions with different number of getters. I found the most early version has the best sound. I posted a detailed report in local Chinese forum on all these 6550, you can have a look.

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=91460

Yes, typically earlier the better for most NOS. A while back I had amps that used the 6SN7 for drivers - best tubes came out of WWII radar installations.

Nice photos!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have a box of 100 6N6P tubes somwhere ... bought them some 15 years ago from Russia.

I need to dig them out and match them.

Reactions: Golum

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
Anyone tried the 6n6p tube in the output stage of the audio ref preamp? Was there a big sonic improvement as well or sticking to 6h30 there is better?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Which is that one? I changed all except one...the one near 6550

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing