Ref6 tube rolling

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hi,

Actually no major improvement as from the get go they sounded wonderful and much more musical then stock 6n30. In the mean time i’ve plugged in also one near 6550 and exchanged stock 6550 with winged c so considering all changes it plays on different level then before..

Cheers,
G

ysound

Mar 24, 2016
Wonderful, I'll be swapping out stock tubes with these on the new REF6 SE.
There are 2 versions of this tube that im aware of, earlier version sporting a square getter and then the round getter that came after.
I purchased both to try, will post back with my takes on them.

Cheers

Reactions: Golum

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
I managed to swap out all the 6H30 tubes with 6n6p tubes in my ref 6. Initial impressions was that the presentation was overall more musical. Vocals were more controlled and not as hurried if that is a way to put it. It is as if the singing were given a more controlled and meaty articulation and put through a more relaxed pace. Going to play other genres and observe again.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Murphy exactly the same feeling like i had. More relaxed, free flowing and musical overall.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Hi,

Actually no major improvement as from the get go they sounded wonderful and much more musical then stock 6n30. In the mean time i’ve plugged in also one near 6550 and exchanged stock 6550 with winged c so considering all changes it plays on different level then before..

Cheers,
G

The Winged-C is easily preferred over the WEs and if they were available ARC would still be using them. If you can find NOS Winged-C, I'd say grab 'em. NOS Tung-Sol are quite good if you can find real ones. . I'm a little baffled over the use of the GE6550 - fine in CJ gear and low bass but overall a tad too soft and warmish in ARC, at least the Ref 2,2SE,5,5SE, Ref 10 line and phono. ymmv

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
After listening for a couple more days, I would ow favor the 6n6p tubes over the 6h30. I find overall noise floor to be lowered.... now having an alternative to compare, I find the 6H30 to be less refined and sounding a tad harsh. Sibilance tends to be emphasized. 6n6p tubes may be a little bass light... bass is tighter but definitely lighter and I find that I need to compensate this via my subs.

yuhengdu

Jun 24, 2016
I have been rolling the 2 6h30 tubes in my ref10's power unit with 6n6p and 6h30p-dr (84). Aligned with the observations above, I found the noise floor to be lowered using 6n6p. When i use stock 6h30 tubes and put my ears to the speakers, I can hear some pulse like noise. But when using 6n6p, the speakers are dead silent even if I put my ears right next to the speakers. But I found that I need to turn the volume louder when using 6n6p to reach the same listening level. The difference is like a 5. I used to play mostly around 25. I need to play around 30 when using 6n6p.

First impressions for the 6n6p is the mids are more smooth and refined while maintaining the huge sound stage and spatial cues. Bass is a bit boomy for now, but I am still burning in the 6n6p tubes. Only has been 24 hours for now. I got my a matched 6n6p gold grid from viva tubes.

I feel with the stock 6h30 tubes, some tracks tend to be sibilance heavy. Not in a level that makes the music sounds harsh or grainy, but the sibilance part definitely stands out and affect the overall perspective. I have a pair of 6h30p-dr from 84. When I use these them in power unit, the sound stays smooth to me 100%. Moving from 6h30p-dr to 6n6p, I feel like the details becomes lacking a bit comparatively. But still very musical, fluid and grain-free.

Again, I am still burning in the 6n6p tubes. Will update after giving it some longer time to burn in and some critical listening.

tubes_old70

Apr 28, 2021
I tested many thousands of tubes, including 6N6P and 6N30P and I'd like to clarify few things about replacing 6N30P with 6N6P:
- all 6N6P (in russian 6?6?) have gold pated grid;
- 6N6P is not perfect equivalent with 6N30P; 6N30P has higher plate current, higher heater current, higher gm but lower gain (gain is gm x Rp and Rp is lower);
- tubes have the same pin out and isn't any risk when we insert 6N6P as replacement for 6N30P;
- matched quads of double tubes are very rare, from a batch of double tubes about 30% are unbalanced, from the balanced ones must be found 4 tubes (8 internal triodes) with the same plate current and gm); of course, depends the tolerance used for matching, I use max 5%, if is used 15% will result more quads;
- I made this replacement in few CDs, preamps and amps with excellent results;
- anyone must try this replacement, nothing to loose, and the best selected 6N6P quad costs less that one NOOS 6N30P-DR;
- the best sound is met at 6N6P from 70's;
- old FOTON 6N6P have generally a better sound but not as replacement for 6N30P, those FOTON are usually weak tubes and not suitable to replace 6nn30 that is powerful;
- best matching is made by curves, next is by Ip and Gm, only by Ip or only by gm is not real matching;
- for preamplifier tubes matching by gain is a good compromise, better than untested or unmatched
In photo can be seen a wonderful pair matched by curves.

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 30

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I have been rolling the 2 6h30 tubes in my ref10's power unit with 6n6p and 6h30p-dr (84).

I am still burning in the 6n6p tubes. Will update after giving it some longer time to burn in and some critical listening.
Any further observations now, presumably, you have put further hours on the 6n6p.s ?

tdotson41

Jan 14, 2020
Alright I’ve been reading this thread and decided to take the plunge and buy 7 6n6p’s for my Ref 6 along with the Tung-Sol 6550 black plate. The black plate was super expensive $349 so I’m truly hoping this is a game changer. I should have the 6n6p’s by Thursday so I will report back after a good 100 hrs have been put on them. What a crazy hobby…cheers!

TLi

May 27, 2016
Alright I’ve been reading this thread and decided to take the plunge and buy 7 6n6p’s for my Ref 6 along with the Tung-Sol 6550 black plate. The black plate was super expensive $349 so I’m truly hoping this is a game changer. I should have the 6n6p’s by Thursday so I will report back after a good 100 hrs have been put on them. What a crazy hobby…cheers!
Big congrats for your tube upgrade. Tung Sol black plate is a real game changer.
My suggestion is to first install the Tung Sol. Only install 6n6p after you have get used to the sound. Too many changes will make you get confused. The characters of Tung Sol and 6n6p is a little overlapped, you may find yourself don’t need the 6n6p. It may be a little too soft for comfort.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
@TLi said
“Big congrats for your tube upgrade. Tung Sol black plate is a real game changer.
My suggestion is to first install the Tung Sol. Only install 6n6p after you have get used to the sound. Too many changes will make you get confused. The characters of Tung Sol and 6n6p is a little overlapped, you may find yourself don’t need the 6n6p. It may be a little too soft for comfort.”

Hi TLI... I have just been reading through a couple of threads here and on AF and AS going back to 2015/16 where we are comparing notes on various 6550’s in ARC power supplies ...whoosh how time flies.

tdotson41

Jan 14, 2020
So the Tung-Sol 6550 black plate won’t arrive until next week so I decided to start with the 7(6n6p) tubes to see how liked I them last night. So far so good. Did get a sense of them being more musical and initially I’m thinking the bass is a little tighter but to early to fully evaluate. Pleasantly surprised!

Last edited:
Reactions: Golum and christoph

opm

Aug 8, 2021
very interesting thread.

Has anyone tried to change the 6h30 for the 6n6p in a ref150se amplifier? would there be any change in the sound?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

limniscate

Jul 16, 2016
I just got some 6n6p and EH 6550 from Viva Tubes. Do you guys use the ring dampeners on them?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Actually i did not use the dampers I got the Ref6 with....

TLi

May 27, 2016
Dampers will dim the sound. 6n6p itself has a more mellow presentation, using dampers probably get the sound too soft.

Reactions: vhs

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing