Ref6 tube rolling

So which are the most highly regarded 6N30P?

Or is it all just generic Russian, so all vintage NOS is about the same?

So which are the most highly regarded 6N30P?

Or is it all just generic Russian, so all vintage NOS is about the same? 6n6p/6h30 made by NEVZ , Novosibirsk (Rusian Miltary Factory)highest quality standard my opion

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut
A little late to the game here

My amps use a quad of 6H30p on each side. Hands down the very best were the 6h30p-DR made by the soviet army. They are virtually unobtainium for the past 3-4 years and my biggest problem is that I need matched quads which is virtually impossible.Every now and then a few willl appear and the cheapest I have ever seen is $600 per tube and they aren't even matched

Presently IMO the only player in the game are the 6h3op sourced from Soviet which are readily available and Lamm uses these exclusively now in tube replacements and they are far from cheap for me to replace every 12-18 months. So whenever I hear the snap crackle and pop in my system and suddenly find one channel is soundless, 100% of the time it is due to a blown 6h30p Happily I have 3 backup sets of NIB Soviet 6h30p and if the Soviet army made -DDR is the reference the Soviets are perhaps 85%-90% as good and for me that has been my best option. I did send my blown quads back to Lamm for retesting and out of about 4 sets per channel I have 1 set of matched quads per side of the 6h30p-DR and these are for very special times only

They are the real McCoy. IMO none others compare to the -DR

Some Foton 6N6p are exceptionally good too…not sure if they did 6N30s but likely they did.
I know these tubes they really good. I run a pair 6n6p for 12years in my hybrid vincent poweramp with high current no problems.
you can take it out of the box like this plug and play. no matching need it same quality like good old telefunken tubes. Modern ones you have to buy 7-8 tubes to get a matched pair. crap

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut

My amps use a quad of 6H30p on each side. Hands down the very best were the 6h30p-DR made by the soviet army. They are virtually unobtainium for the past 3-4 years and my biggest problem is that I need matched quads which is virtually impossible.Every now and then a few willl appear and the cheapest I have ever seen is $600 per tube and they aren't even matched

Presently IMO the only player in the game are the 6h3op sourced from Soviet which are readily available and Lamm uses these exclusively now in tube replacements and they are far from cheap for me to replace every 12-18 months. So whenever I hear the snap crackle and pop in my system and suddenly find one channel is soundless, 100% of the time it is due to a blown 6h30p Happily I have 3 backup sets of NIB Soviet 6h30p and if the Soviet army made -DDR is the reference the Soviets are perhaps 85%-90% as good and for me that has been my best option. I did send my blown quads back to Lamm for retesting and out of about 4 sets per channel I have 1 set of matched quads per side of the 6h30p-DR and these are for very special times only

it is strange that a tube that is supposed to last 10000 hours dies so quickly. I used the Sovtek tubes you describe in my Ayon DAC until switching to 6N6Ps first from not sure where and now Fotons, which are superior. At least in the Ayon, the 6N6P (particularly the Foton) are much better than the Sovtek 6N30p. In your situation I doubt they would work very well as they would probably die quickly (they are not as long lasting as the 6N30p apparently)...however, they are generally quite cheap.

Hands down the very best were the 6h30p-DR made by the soviet army

Steve , the DR’s were manufactured in the Reflektor Corp factory in Saratov, not by the Soviet Army . The best production were seemingly reserved for use by the Russian Military , all branches , and also in their Nuclear and Space industries .

it is strange that a tube that is supposed to last 10000 hours dies so quickly. I used the Sovtek tubes you describe in my Ayon DAC until switching to 6N6Ps first from not sure where and now Fotons, which are superior. At least in the Ayon, the 6N6P (particularly the Foton) are much better than the Sovtek 6N30p. In your situation I doubt they would work very well as they would probably die quickly (they are not as long lasting as the 6N30p apparently)...however, they are generally quite cheap.
It's the Lamm amp and the circuitry. It says in the manual replace every 12-18 months. One of the downsides to the Lamm ML3

I use Soviet sourced byLammm because I need a matched octet

well Steve

I have 30 of these 6n30p dr - am sure finding a quad cant be that difficult matched:)

I need octet. Four per side and they have to match the amp settings
Very hard to find. I could never find them for my Ayon DAC, which uses 4 in total. I found that NOS 6N6P sounded better than new manufactured ones from Electroharmonix or Sovtek and so I switched to a different, but compatible, tube type.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu