Regulate the Supplement Industry You Say?!?!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Why did you call these "supplements?" These are prescription drugs that were being touted to perform miracle cures for things they had never been approved for. When I think of supplements. I think of vitamins.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Holy smokes! There are a whole bunch of Schedule I drugs that are Serotonin uptake inhibitors and they were marketing Paxil to kids?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Why did you call these "supplements?" These are prescription drugs that were being touted to perform miracle cures for things they had never been approved for. When I think of supplements. I think of vitamins.

Exactly! People have been pushing for the regulation of supplements such as vitamins, etc and look what real "pharmaceuticals" are doing.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Exactly! People have been pushing for the regulation of supplements such as vitamins, etc and look what real "pharmaceuticals" are doing.

Gotcha.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
I wonder how GSK managed to withhold safety information. Did they miss the reporting deadline? How can a project team conspire to withhold information that they see in a study or is reported to their safety department. Also, those sales folks have quotas to reach, so I can see them promoting off label use, partly because that is less easily detected. The one thing that shock me most of all is that they tried to bribe doctors with Madonna concert tickets.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Well, this is why supplementary "medicines" should be regulated. Pharmaceuticals, which are regulated, can be punished if they make false or misleading claims. Supplementary medicines, in contrast, make wildly conflated claims and routinely get away with it.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Well, this is why supplementary "medicines" should be regulated. Pharmaceuticals, which are regulated, can be punished if they make false or misleading claims. Supplementary medicines, in contrast, make wildly conflated claims and routinely get away with it.

Makes me think of poor Jim Furyk, 5 Hour Energy endorser, who duck hooks a hybrid off the 16th tee in his sixth hour of play while shared for the lead at the 2012 US Open. Maybe he should've had another bottle in his bag. :(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Actually Keith that's not true since wild claims are a FDA red flag. They'll be shut down right away. And the number of supplements that have caused any harm is minuscule compared to the drugs prescribed by docs ans supposedly tested. Actually I can't think of any-ephedrine was BS and later studies showed that.

But this case is exactly wild and falsified claims.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Myles, I don't know about the FDA but over here, supplementary and alternative medicines can make whatever claims they like. Thus - chiropractors claim to cure asthma and diabetes, homeopaths claim to cure cancer, acupuncturists claim to cure autoimmune and joint diseases, and all amount of pseudoscientific quackery flourishes. OTOH - pharmaceuticals are strictly regulated, especially expensive drugs. As a doc, if I wanted to prescribe some drugs labelled "authority", I have to call up the feds, give a code, justify my decision, before I am allowed to prescribe.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, I don't know about the FDA but over here, supplementary and alternative medicines can make whatever claims they like. Thus - chiropractors claim to cure asthma and diabetes, homeopaths claim to cure cancer, acupuncturists claim to cure autoimmune and joint diseases, and all amount of pseudoscientific quackery flourishes. OTOH - pharmaceuticals are strictly regulated, especially expensive drugs. As a doc, if I wanted to prescribe some drugs labelled "authority", I have to call up the feds, give a code, justify my decision, before I am allowed to prescribe.

Interesting. There are certainly other things that we can bring up about the regulation of supplements here eg. anyone can make a supplement on their kitchen table and sell it, but little of that snake oil or they'll be closed down in a heartbeat and have.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing