REL 6 PACK ARRAY

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I do not currently have subs in my room, but previously, I had two REL Ti7s. I tried them in many different locations with different results.

The standard REL guidance of corner placement did not work well for me. The room was too "loaded" even at low settings and volumes. Just too much, and not good quality bass.

What worked best for me was one sub on the floor with EVP footers, on a perpendicular wall, mid-way on that wall. The sub was also "pointed" perpendicular to the front speakers.

The second sub was on a platform I built, 24 inches tall, firing at the seat position. I moved the sub speaker a bit forward of the main speakers, perhaps two inches.

IMO, in addition to finding the best settings on the sub itself, experimenting with alternative placement can yield good results.

Reactions: Steveo and John T

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Its pretty amazing how the placement plays out. I'm fortunate that mine work to the side because of the geography...

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
I've read so much about the benefits of RELS 6 Pack Array. To be honest I thought it was hyped up BS. Not to mention the imposing nature of 6 Carbon Specials kind of turned me off. Finally my curiosity overcame me. I called Tom at ONEST AUDIO. I never met Tom (a friend recommended him) I must say he was a pleasure to talk/work with. What I really appreciated about Tom was he doesn't come across as "the expert". He just shares his knowledge. I came right out and asked what do you think? He didn't say oh its going to be great! He said if you want to do it let me know. It took less than a week and 4 more Carbon Specials were delivered. Great transaction!

I got them all stacked, the connecting cables were delayed (FEDEX) 2 days so I got to stare at the imposing "stacks". Yesterday the connecting High/Low level Cables arrived from REL. Clay at REL gave me several tips. Firstly you want to individually set each High/Low Level and Crossover. The whole concept is the for the 3 per side to work in unison, not attacking each other. It takes methodical incremental adjustments. Bottom Left (anchor) last count was 18 adjustments and the right side will NOT be identical to the Left. Its a daunting process! While your doing it your thinking this was a mistake. BUT once you get them in SYNC its a "I get it moment" I used a pad with a diagram of the six stacked. As I made adjustments I would write them in and highlight the last added change. If you don't do that you will loose your mind!!

I went back to the single pair and as you can imagine huge difference! Still getting my head around this. The midrange is special, snapping of fingers, drumsticks popping off of each other, the stick hitting the skin. Its almost as if the bass is providing more delicate nuances.

With Knee Replacement surgery tomorrow I doubt I'll be doing much listening. I frantically wanted them set up and dialed in as closely as possible before the surgery. I could only imagine coming home and staring at them without knowing what they sound like!
Dear John T,

First of all, and most important - I hope you are well and that your knee is getting better and better for each day ;) .
Second, congratulations to your amazing sub investment, setup and integration. Very very impressive indeed. It is always nice to know there is more people out there that is (a little bit crazy) just like me, and invest in a 6-pack of subs to support the front speakers. Well now, I don’t have the REL’s, but sure enough the Martin Logan BF-210’s which is not stackable from M-L in the first place… I have made myself a special rack to stack them three by three on each side back of my M-L ReQuests. (Some of you on the WBF might have seen some pics I’ve posted earlier in another thread). The sonic differences with and without is huge.
My each 3-stack works a little bit different than the REL subs. My 3-stack tower works like one big sub, where the top sub is the control sub for each tower. There within is the hi/low pass, time/phase, volyme, then yet another volyme control for the +/- 25hz level.

Now:
It is a little bit more complex setup, then just a 2-channel, which is complex enough, but is a complete 2-channel setup AND a 7.4 surround setup where even two more subs are included in the back of the room on each side back of the listening position, the M-L BF-212.
The two back subs have ofcourse their own controls which have to be set individually, which in turn add some more parameters to take in count.

To control all this I have the Krell Evolution 707 3D preamp / surround processor as the main hub for the entire system. However.. just under the 707 is the two minor Krell KAV 250p preamps that works as indivdual volyme fast controls for the sub system. One preamp for the front L & R channel signal, and one preamp for the L & R LFE back sub signal.
The LFE signal going into the front towers is controled in the 707 processor itself.

Do you all follow… ? -It’s not even tricky yet, haha.

Yes - my subs can handle both L & R and LFE signals simultaneously ofcourse.. and it is here the tricky part comes in… to match everything together so it works perfect for the 2-channel setup AND the 7.4 setup, without sounding weird in any or the other.
For matching my ReQuest in 2-channel mode and extend the sound of the ReQuests the sub towers meet up the ReQuests at 42Hz. L &R signal coming from my 707 preamp is going directly to the amp driving my ReQuests, AND into the KAV-250p, which is preset to halv volyme on the control as a reference level, and then out into the left and right sub tower. On the then top control subs, I can now adjust the phase and time, volyme and frequence to integrate them for the ReQuest extension. This was quite an undertaking task, but no rocket science…

The major brain damage came when trying to integrate 5 more speakers and two more subs, where half of the controls lays within the processor itself, and using another external preamp for the back subs with it’s half volyme preset reference level, and try to time phase every speaker to the listening position. I could break the Internet trying to explain that integration, haha… and I would probably bore you out with all nerdy talk of frequence and phase and distance tweaking, but please ask me if there is anything I missed telling that might be of interest.

That my friends took me over six month of serious everyday spare time in the hifi bunker. Then when I thought I got everything playing very very well, I hooked the computer and the test microphone up to the subs to compensate for the room acoustics… Ohhh my GOD… -then it was another three month of fine tuning in the system.

Now you might wonder… How’s the sound? Is it working or is it just a subwoofer mess all over the place…??

All I can say… I can spend 10-12 hours strait in here without being tired in my ears.. I can listen to low volyme and hear everything very very well.. I can play voice and guitar, classical music, and it sounds like they performs right infront of me in the room… OR… I can play Metallica on a volyme best suited for large arena events with a sub and bass preasure that makes my hair stand and my pants and tshirt sleeves swaying freely with the atmospheric bass preasure…

Sooo yes - It is working very very well, but as you said John T, it was a major undertaking to integrate it all.

Well - hope you all enjoyed me explaining my system setup ..

Here is some pics.. Enjoy.

/ Jk
021F8521-5A85-45E4-B233-D9357397CD87.jpeg 358858FD-553F-445C-A5E4-794CAAB08BFA.jpeg 0B74BF04-0A25-48E7-AFC6-FC894E550E46.jpeg 104CF61F-6613-4BD5-B578-7F204B106E96.jpeg CB7CF916-E09C-4257-9A8D-A5702CF172F5.jpeg E07A32B9-6FA6-4E98-8627-E0F40977D996.jpeg 0368753A-3ED3-4D6D-B325-21F44921D170.jpeg 936CD937-CBB4-4C7C-B9AA-ECA95FF556CF.jpeg 3B95233C-7F8B-451D-9B9D-AD95BF63F875.jpeg

John T

Feb 15, 2022
@Johan K : I love this, the extent of our obsession knows no boundaries! Knee is great 2nd one coming up in May. Great idea to make those custom corner racks for the subs, looks like maple. Thank you for sharing this...John

• Love
Reactions: Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Dear John T again,

I forgot to tell you…
The preamp, the Krell EVO-707 3D has one separate analog preout, which is completely separated from the digital processor, which I use in the 2-channel mode.
Then it has 3 separate memories for 3 additional all free standing setups.

In 7.4 surround music mode… the LFE signal going into the subs is set to 70Hz.
At the same time the L & R signal going into the front L & R right sub towers is still set to 42Hz to extend the M-L ReQuests.

In 7.4 surround movie mode… the LFE signal is set to 80Hz for the surround speakers except the center speaker which is set to 90Hz, making the center little bit more powerful sounding when some action shooting accurs in the middle of the movie screen. The signal for the ReQuests remains the same 42Hz into the subs…

The system goes flat down and under 15hz at all volymes.

A ca total of 3000 watts for the speakers.

A ca total of 17.000 watts for the whole subwoofer system.

So a lots of headroom for the subs to breathe.
And yes…. The subs volyme is so low you can’t barely understand that they are there.. that is how the subs are tuned…

Hope that explains a little more.

All the best

/ Jk

Last edited:
Reactions: John T

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
@Johan K : I love this, the extent of our obsession knows no boundaries! Knee is great 2nd one coming up in May. Great idea to make those custom corner racks for the subs, looks like maple. Thank you for sharing this...John
Hi John,

Great to hear you are feeling better and your knee is healing good. Soon we can squat 315 for 10 reps together, haha.

Well actually it is oak-tree… like the side trim of my ReQuests.

Hope you have a great time playing around with those REL’s of yours…

Cheers / Johan

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Btw John,
Sorry if I interrupted your REL sub thread with Martin Logan… but my attention was more on the focus of stacking subs, than the brands them selfs. Hope this was okay with you.

All the best

/ Jk

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Btw John,
Sorry if I interrupted your REL sub thread with Martin Logan… but my attention was more on the focus of stacking subs, than the brands them selfs. Hope this was okay with you.

All the best

/ Jk
Not to worry, didn't think about it in the least. It's all related, always interested in others passion. As William Blake expressed "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"

• Love

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Not to worry, didn't think about it in the least. It's all related, always interested in others passion. As William Blake expressed "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
Thank you John,
Yes it certainly does. I hope we all up end there… then we might learn something in the afterlife, haha.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Thank you John,
Yes it certainly does. I hope we all up end there… then we might learn something in the afterlife, haha.
One thing that I neglected to mention was a tweak I did this week. I was going to build 2 platforms for under my JA Pearls. I actually started cutting the pieces. Then I discovered a company that sold end grain maple butcher/cutting boards. 20" X 20" X 3''Thick. I bought 2. My house is all pine floors. By placing the new platforms under my pearls it increased the soundstage with more musicality. Because the height of this room is so high (26') I think this is why it benefited. It also increased the height to make the pearls closer in height to the 3 subs stacked....

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
One thing that I neglected to mention was a tweak I did this week. I was going to build 2 platforms for under my JA Pearls. I actually started cutting the pieces. Then I discovered a company that sold end grain maple butcher/cutting boards. 20" X 20" X 3''Thick. I bought 2. My house is all pine floors. By placing the new platforms under my pearls it increased the soundstage with more musicality. Because the height of this room is so high (26') I think this is why it benefited. It also increased the height to make the pearls closer in height to the 3 subs stacked....
Well John, isn’t that wonderful. I like when small things make great things. Like the Hobbits ” Sometimes it is the smaller things that makes the big difference”?.
Plus: It is always nice when things in the audio room looks more symmetrical, because the impressions of the eyes make the ears more calm and more sensitive due to a more harmonic view…. In turn it makes the impressions of sounding better…

Ooopps (-does that make sence of what I just said?)

/ Jk

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Well John, isn’t that wonderful. I like when small things make great things. Like the Hobbits ” Sometimes it is the smaller things that makes the big difference”?.
Plus: It is always nice when things in the audio room looks more symmetrical, because the impressions of the eyes make the ears more calm and more sensitive due to a more harmonic view…. In turn it makes the impressions of sounding better…

Ooopps (-does that make sence of what I just said?)

/ Jk
It does make sense. I always pay attention to smaller things visually and philosophically. Some people are blessed or cursed with a certain ability to take notice of detail. If something appears visually off it never go's away it continues to haunt until it is corrected. Smaller amounts of OCD are a good thing!

jonathanhorwich

Nov 24, 2010
Chicago
This might help: https://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Component-Stands-Platforms_c_21.html

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Hi John,

How’s your knees? Feeling any better?

Then - How’s your 6-pack of subs…?
Have you maxed them out yet…, haha?

All the best

/ Jk

Last edited:

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Hi John,

How’s your knees? Feeling any better?

Then - How’s your 6-pack of subs…?
Have you maxed them out yet…, haha?

All the best

/ Jk
Johan nice to hear from you! First knee (right) huge success, that was performed January 23rd, 2nd knee is scheduled for next week May the 10th. The thought of starting this over is daunting! Even in the best of situations, not easy! Painful. However it has to be done. Between running, sports, climbing, and hard labor on my property they became worn out!

The 6-pack array has fit in nicely. They have really enhanced my system. Less is best when getting them dialed in. haven't really had to make any adjustments in several weeks. Every so often you will get a track that has a little too much boom but not very often.

Thanks for checking on my progress, most appreciated Johan! John

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Johan nice to hear from you! First knee (right) huge success, that was performed January 23rd, 2nd knee is scheduled for next week May the 10th. The thought of starting this over is daunting! Even in the best of situations, not easy! Painful. However it has to be done. Between running, sports, climbing, and hard labor on my property they became worn out!

The 6-pack array has fit in nicely. They have really enhanced my system. Less is best when getting them dialed in. haven't really had to make any adjustments in several weeks. Every so often you will get a track that has a little too much boom but not very often.

At work - I’ll get back to you.. thank you.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden

Hi John,

Great to hear from you, and nice to hear that your ”good” knee is doing good.
Just a few days left then of your ”old” life.. After the 10th of May, your new life begins, and you will do fine.. -just a couple of though weeks, and then you will be able to squat 400 pounds.. I am sure of it?:D , and will hold my thumbs for you the 10th.

Also great to hear about your subwoofers. As for you - when I installed my subs it greatly enhanced my system to… and with my extra external volyme control, I can very fast adjust for to much or to less bass on a recording. Very cool indeed, and the result is perfect all the time.

Well now John.. keep it up and I talk to you soon.

All the best

/ Johan

Last edited:

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Hi John,

Great to hear from you, and nice to hear that your ”good” knee is doing good.
Just a few days left then of your ”old” life.. After the 10th of May, your new life begins, and you do will fine.. -just a couple of though weeks, and then you will be able to squat 400 pounds.. I am sure of it?:D , and will hold my thumbs for you the 10th.

Also great to hear about your subwoofers. As for you - when I installed my subs it greatly enhanced my system to… and with my extra external volyme control, I can very fast adjust for to much or to less bass on a recording. Very cool indeed, and the result is perfect all the time.

Well now John.. keep it up and I talk to you soon.

All the best

/ Johan
Hi Johan,
I'll keep you posted on the 2nd slice and dice. My squatting days are over but I'm looking forward in resuming my wood cutting and splitting this fall. I have a outdoor boiler/water stove that heats the house and hot water. I have a conventional system as well. I've been doing it for many years now, I've grown accustom to doing it. Hope to continue doing it for several more years. Easier said than done!

Your external volume control is a beautiful thing! Thanks again for the well wishes my friend...All The Best...John

• Love

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing