RMAF 2013: Gear worth making the trip to Denver to hear... And not!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

So it was obviously the amplifiers and not the recording or even CD player? Especially since they switched from LP to another medium in this case, digital. Not to mention an opinion arrived at with one recording. Not to mention the issues with one wall.

Tell you what. I spent a lot of time in the room listening to tapes and LPs. The bass drums sounded damn good on Fettler's Contrasts for Orchestra, third movement (Mercury SR90282).

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
So it was the system and not the recording?

Who knows? But is anyone really surprised that JA (or anyone else for that matter) would comment that the Alexia speakers have better quality bass when driven by a SS amp? I think that many speakers with pretensions of being full-range and are non-powered will have more accurate bass when driven by a big SS amp.

On the other hand, I can't imagine an old Beach Boys cut that MF did a needle drop from had deeper bass than what we heard from the Loud Reed "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" cut and that system kicked ass on that recording.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Who knows? But is anyone really surprised that JA (or anyone else for that matter) would comment that the Alexia speakers have better quality bass when driven by a SS amp? I think that many speakers with pretensions of being full-range and are non-powered will have more accurate bass when driven by a big SS amp.

On the other hand, I can't imagine an old Beach Boys cut that MF did a needle drop from had deeper bass than what we heard from the Loud Reed "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" cut and that system kicked ass on that recording.
Pray tell, which particular version of the Lou Reed recording- on vinyl? remaster?
details, plse....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Pray tell, which particular version of the Lou Reed recording- on vinyl? remaster?
details, plse....

"Walk on the Wild Side" from the Speakers' Corner Transformer reissue. The better the system, the better it sounds-unlike other recordings that have a sonic ceiling.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
So it was obviously the amplifiers and not the recording or even CD player? Especially since they switched from LP to another medium in this case, digital. Not to mention an opinion arrived at with one recording.

Tell you what. I spent a lot of time in the room listening to tapes and LPs. The bass drums sounded damn good on Fettler's Contrasts for Orchestra, third movement (Mercury SR90282).

Here's JA's comments about the Alexias with the new VTL amp:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/vtl-rocks-alexias-daft-punk

Do the Doshi Jhor 160 monoblocks use feedback?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Here's JA's comments about the Alexias with the new VTL amp:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/vtl-rocks-alexias-daft-punk

Do the Doshi Jhor 160 monoblocks use feedback?

It's sort of a variation on a theme that JA talked about with the Alexia speakers and the Doshi amps. I don't think there is much doubt that JA would prefer to hear the Alexia speakers powered by a SS amp. Turning up the negative feedback to the max on the VTL amp probably tightened up the bass as much as possible which is why JA preferred that setting, but that came at the expense of the midrange.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

mep

Apr 20, 2010

I snagged a copy at the show. I've heard that song 1000x before, but I never really heard it until Myles forked over his copy to Nick Doshi to play.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
26 pounds! of Sowter transformer. Sowter is very good,not neutral as say a Lundahl,and the low end is good,midrange tends to be magical.

This is also not an off the shelf Sowter.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
This is also not an off the shelf Sowter.

Myles, I would expect that it is custom..26lbs....but I would expect that it shares some of the Sowter signature...nothing wrong with that.

With 26lbs of iron you can't escape the sound signature of a transformer...it is just part of the voicing. I might add that Sowters are very musical,detailed and articulate.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

That was the only room at the show that got the backbeat on the drum correctly. On every other system, the drum sounded like one beat. So how bad could the Doshi room been?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
That was the only room at the show that got the backbeat on the drum correctly. On every other system, the drum sounded like one beat. So how bad could the Doshi room been?

You know my answer to that question-I loved the room and I could live happily ever after with a pair of Nick's amps.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I see literally a few minutes ago that Lou Reed's death was announced. Sorry to hear.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing