ROCK Music Albums that had a Significant Impact in your Youth | Including some that you know are ..

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Another that was an example of how an album can have influence in ways other than the direct content of the album...

Frank Zappa "Overnite Sensation" and "Apostrophe"...I was 18 and found the lyrics funny..went in search of more Frank Zappa and discovered "Hot Rats" and the musicality started an exploration into Jazz in all forms.
Absolutely agree! The Jazz Discharge Party Hats put me on the floor with the lyrics as well as the musicianship.
Love those two albums!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
The Keep is not for everyone, it's a guilty pleasure of mine since it came up on VHS tape.
The music score is awesome, some of the actors are solid, I also like the locales.
It's not for a sophisticated audience, it's for music lovers, ...Tangerine Dream.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Keep_(film)

Check out the obstacles that movie endured to even make it to the screen. I would love to see it in its intended presentation, alas it is not to be,

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I too have The Keep on VHS, which according to the article is one of two ways to get the original release, the other is Laserdisc.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Kansas_-_Leftoverture.jpg

This is one of my all time favs, not a stinker on it. Actually Carry On My Wayward Son is my least favorite, but still excellent. My original pressing has survived the years well. I was skeptical when we cued it up at Mikes place and was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M. and Skylab

AWZ1979

Feb 22, 2019
Anything and everything by Pearl Jam. Especially these three albums.

Attachments

• B14B6F85-076B-4060-9095-E48D6E06A425.jpeg
    B14B6F85-076B-4060-9095-E48D6E06A425.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1
  • EA1B888F-C2BA-462E-B5B4-A0603BAAC5D2.jpeg
    EA1B888F-C2BA-462E-B5B4-A0603BAAC5D2.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 1
  • 3F0E6481-82A8-4B31-B5E1-1B85A3CD822E.jpeg
    3F0E6481-82A8-4B31-B5E1-1B85A3CD822E.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Al M.

Daniel M

Oct 7, 2020
First album I ever bought.
Ha ha me too!!! Elton ruled the 70s pop charts.

Reactions: jazdoc

siddh

Oct 2, 2012
Preteen days most influential and most listened to:
Jesus Christ Superstar....I must have played this original cast 1971 release, on my portable one piece console hundreds of times. Just blew me away.
Beatles White Album...as overwhelming was Peppers, the White Album connected with greater emotion.
Nancy and Lee...maybe not a categorical rock album, but at age 10, beyond the am radio play lists, this album received multitudes of playtime.

Jr.& Sr. High school years introduced drugs and related music.
Zeppelin 1 could not have been played enough.
Queen 1 was another brilliant album with new exploration.
Ziggy Stardust flowed beautifully.
Tull’s Stand Up is my favorite JT album.
Moody Blues Days of Future Passed...just loved everything from the harmonies to, what proved to be, my early intro to a semblance of classical.
Yes...Tales of Topographic Oceans
Who’s What’s Next...I believe to be near a perfect album.
10 Years After....A Space In Time...not a skipped beat throughout.
Frampton Comes Alive....

Multiple Grateful Dead bootlegs, Armageddon, Babe Ruth, Allman Brothers Brothers and Sisters, Steve Miller Sailor, Sticky Fingers, Stevie Wonder Musiquarium....just a handful of the albums I played from beginning to end.

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
The first album i ever bought with my pocket money saved from a saturday job that i had, bought all their singles from the previous year and i loved especially the self penned B-sides which were very heavy/hard rock in nature and totally different from the throw away tunes by Chinn and Chapman who were the bubblegum masters of the period.

This album was recorded late 73 and on 16 tracks and for certain was way ahead of it's time, very different from Purple / Sabbath / Zeppelin who ruled the genre at the time.

Sweet-Sweet-Fanny-Adams-LPL1-5038-NZ-ROCKSTUFF-Vinyl.jpeg

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
"Country Life" by "Roxy Music" was another seminal moment in my musical youth, an extraordinary band led by the charismatic Bryan Ferry, i had bought "Street Light" the previous year which consequently piqued my interest in the band and must admit this album cover jumped out at me as 12 year old kid.

rmclfr.jpeg

Last edited:

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
What has not been said about "Kraftwerk" already, this album started me on my life long journey with this amazing and ground breaking band and who i still love to this very day, many artists from "Gary Numan" to "Orchestral Manoeuvers in the Dark" to "Depeche Mode" have literally literally cited them as the godfathers of electonic music.

There is the fabled story of when "Coldplay" asked "Kraftwerk" if they could use a sample/riff from the track "Computer Love", after quite some time had elapsed and with no forthcoming answer, it was assumed to be a no, and then one day out of the blue came a letter from "Kraftwerk" with a simple one worded reply "Yes", typically Germanic and to the point.

66644dd1a78f36869a1add49a10f75e1.png

jbr7

May 19, 2020
"Country Life" by "Roxy Music" was another seminal moment in my musical youth, an extraordinary band led by the charsimatic Bryan Ferry, i had bought "Street Light" the previous year which consequently piqued my interest in the band and must admit this album cover jumped out at me as 12 year old kid.

View attachment 70134
This cover still jumps out at me as a 70 year-old, lol.

Reactions: rgmd11

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Preteen days most influential and most listened to:
Jesus Christ Superstar....I must have played this original cast 1971 release, on my portable one piece console hundreds of times. Just blew me away.
Beatles White Album...as overwhelming was Peppers, the White Album connected with greater emotion.
Nancy and Lee...maybe not a categorical rock album, but at age 10, beyond the am radio play lists, this album received multitudes of playtime.

Jr.& Sr. High school years introduced drugs and related music.
Zeppelin 1 could not have been played enough.
Queen 1 was another brilliant album with new exploration.
Ziggy Stardust flowed beautifully.
Tull’s Stand Up is my favorite JT album.
Moody Blues Days of Future Passed...just loved everything from the harmonies to, what proved to be, my early intro to a semblance of classical.
Yes...Tales of Topographic Oceans
Who’s What’s Next...I believe to be near a perfect album.
10 Years After....A Space In Time...not a skipped beat throughout.
Frampton Comes Alive....

Multiple Grateful Dead bootlegs, Armageddon, Babe Ruth, Allman Brothers Brothers and Sisters, Steve Miller Sailor, Sticky Fingers, Stevie Wonder Musiquarium....just a handful of the albums I played from beginning to end.

With the exception of The Beatles thing, we could jam for hours on end!

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Mike also mentioned Genesis; these three albums were big for me back then:

And then when this one came up it had many many many spins; everything was so beautiful from that album, perfect for when we were kids and in full love with life and everything in it...including our second/third girlfriend.

Ok 2year old post quotation, but yes, better late than never. Amazing to see these albums referenced in the thread within only a few posts. Foxtrot would probably be my "stranded on a deserted island" album. At one point, I was up to 20+ Foxtrot pressings until I found "the one". Not a tick on either surface and just a crystal clear sound with expansive holographic sound stage. I digress though, and all those you've listed are beyond great. Easily my favorites of all time, bar none. I thought it was just me, thus my excitement at seeing your post for the first time.

PS I was plopping mustard pancakes into my Pampers when Nursery Cryme came out. It wasn't until I was older in the late 80s that I discovered this music. And it has stuck with me ever since. Someone also mentioned Seconds Out early in the thread... So good. I had a friend who was a talented percussionist and we used to blast Seconds Out in his room while his parents were gone with him playing along on drums (to a tee) with me singing (horrifically) with max echo. Ah, the memories.

Last edited:
Reactions: asiufy

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
This album started me on my Journey with Isao Tomita and ignited my love of music made with predominately synthesisers with soon to be discovered love of artists such as Vangelis and Jean Michel Jarre.

553545204dfec1efbcc67cfa18b4f904.jpeg

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
Very few words needed for this classic album and my first that i bought by Supertramp

IMG_0757.jpeg

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
As a dreamy 12 year old kid this album certainly let me drift off and be aurally tranquillised, but it was the album Stratosphere a couple of years later that really got me into Tangerine Dream and Edgar Froese.

Tangerine-dream-phaedra.jpeg

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Led Zeppelin 1 really hit me. For whatever reason, I loved this album. While I liked the Beatles, The Stones, The Animals, and others, I played this album nonstop. I even play it now once in a while.

image.jpeg

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Nirvana - Bleach - original 1989 UK release, MPO pressing. sounds alive and exciting.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
For me it was Zeppelin 1 back in the late 70’s along with the original Sabbath album

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing