Rockport Lyra

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
At this level, I guess it is mostly personal taste and preferences that make people go for which speakers. Having had the Cygnus for several years now has left me with no regrets. If I win a lottery, I can see myself upgrading only to the Lyra. Heard it at a friend's house and immensely impressed. Checked all my boxes.
Congrats Jfrech.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
At this level, I guess it is mostly personal taste and preferences that make people go for which speakers. Having had the Cygnus for several years now has left me with no regrets. If I win a lottery, I can see myself upgrading only to the Lyra. Heard it at a friend's house and immensely impressed. Checked all my boxes.
Congrats Jfrech.

There is no way back after hearing Lyra.

Reactions: ationg and jfrech

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
Any news about whether Lyra will stay in production much longer? It is a 6,7 years old model so I wonder if we will see a MK2 version ?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Any news about whether Lyra will stay in production much longer? It is a 6,7 years old model so I wonder if we will see a MK2 version ?
That is a good question. No news on that from the interview.

Andy seems focused on other things, like the smaller version of the Orion. Based on nothing specific my guess is that the Lyra is not facing retirement soon.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Sometimes when you get it right and you do what's right for your customers, you don't need a revision every 2 - 5 years.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019

HI
I had exact same question to Andy and Josh last year before getting my Lyra.
I was wondering to get it before newer or better will come.
I got clear Rockport answer they are NO working on any update/ upgrate to Lyra and NO working on a bigger or better speaker.
They added from themselves that LYRA is actually selling better than ever before so they DO NOT plan to update it in many years to come.

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
Agree. Just based on conversations with them I would guess a new flagship is 3-4 years away. Then again they wouldn’t advertise it for obvious reasons. They told me they wouldn’t do it unless it was obviously better than the Lyra and I don’t think they’ve figured out how to do it yet without a really large cabinet which they would like to avoid. This makes an “Arrakis” version of Lyra unlikely. They also would like to avoid a 4 way which makes an “Altair” version (with say a 10 inch mid bass to pair with the new 13 inch driver) tough as well.

Reactions: Kris

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Agree. Just based on conversations with them I would guess a new flagship is 3-4 years away. Then again they wouldn’t advertise it for obvious reasons. They told me they wouldn’t do it unless it was obviously better than the Lyra and I don’t think they’ve figured out how to do it yet without a really large cabinet which they would like to avoid. This makes an “Arrakis” version of Lyra unlikely. They also would like to avoid a 4 way which makes an “Altair” version (with say a 10 inch mid bass to pair with the new 13 inch driver) tough as well.
all we know is they will probabbly make a Smaller Orion. THat itself will take 2 - 3 years.
That makes a great sense by adding something better than the lowest 2 spekers by ADDING or replacing if that is

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
all we know is they will probabbly make a Smaller Orion. THat itself will take 2 - 3 years.
That makes a great sense by adding something better than the lowest 2 spekers by ADDING or replacing if that is
Its a good sign afaic.

If a company constantly changes their design then they havent done their due diligence in product development with the first version
Another possibility is that they have so much overhead costs , that to cover those they constantly have to make a mk 1 mk 2 mk 3 version etc every 2 - 3 years.

The biggest honour for a product is becoming a classic

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Sometimes when you get it right and you do what's right for your customers, you don't need a revision every 2 - 5 years.
I agree. Aesthetix and VTL are the same way. I guess I cotton to that philosophy.

Reactions: sbo6

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
A Lyra rev 2? One would have to start with what there is to improve. I doubt there is much to improve in the cabinet or crossover. So, I guess if they could somehow have lighter, stiffer, lower distortion (better) drivers. Perhaps bigger drivers that would have lower extension but that would necessitate a bigger cabinet.

One reason not to change anything with the cabinet is they have invested a great deal in the molds used for casting the inner/outer cabinets.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
A Lyra rev 2? One would have to start with what there is to improve. I doubt there is much to improve in the cabinet or crossover. So, I guess if they could somehow have lighter, stiffer, lower distortion (better) drivers. Perhaps bigger drivers that would have lower extension but that would necessitate a bigger cabinet.

One reason not to change anything with the cabinet is they have invested a great deal in the molds used for casting the inner/outer cabinets.
That’s what I think. Even if they can’t improve on the cabinet, chances are driver technology will get better . Wouldn’t that be a reason to upgrade Lyra to MK2? How many companies keep a same model for more than 10 years?

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
That’s what I think. Even if they can’t improve on the cabinet, chances are driver technology will get better . Wouldn’t that be a reason to upgrade Lyra to MK2? How many companies keep a same model for more than 10 years?
MBL?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

Material science and manufacturing continue to progress; there's always better. The question is - is the prospective % better worth revising an already exemplary design? And would the market bear it? Probably not.

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
I read you can improve Lyra performance by swapping the feet for the stillpoints. Has anyone tried?

Alpha121

Aug 15, 2020
The natural place in the existing speaker line for a 'smaller Orion' to fit is the spot currently occupied by the Cygnus. Using the Orion midrange and tweeter, and cabinet approach at a lower price point would occupy the high value spot currently there.
It seems like he would not mention it if it was not forthcoming in the next 6 to 12 months. He's not the kind of guy to talk about something a few years out it appears. say.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I read you can improve Lyra performance by swapping the feet for the stillpoints. Has anyone tried?

I also would like to know how effective those are?
I was thinking the price is for a speaker set , but it is for the 1 piece!
So price goes 8 times if I get it right.
Expensive. Big additional cost.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing