Session continues:

Dr. Ron shows Lagonda the Jadis, and says - what do you think of when you see this?

Lagonda: S*x

Ron shows the clarisys: What do you think of when you see this?

lagonda: S*x

Ron: And when you see the gryphon bass towers?

Ron: Your time is up

Marc visits Ron. Replace s*x by Zus, same story.
Dr, Ron, please play me some Dr. Hook. Preferable " Penicillin Penny", "Acapulco Goldie" or "Freakin' at the Freakers ball " :p

Session continues:

Dr. Ron shows Lagonda the Jadis, and says - what do you think of when you see this?

Lagonda: S*x

Ron shows the clarisys: What do you think of when you see this?

Ron: And when you see the gryphon bass towers?

Ron: Your time is up

Marc visits Ron. Replace s*x by Zus, same story.

Also, Brad goes to visit Ron, same story, replace s*x with s*ts

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
Also, Brad goes to visit Ron, same story, replace s*x with s*ts
I would say that Lagonda needs to get his priorities straight.

"Do not worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older it will avoid you."

I would say that Lagonda needs to get his priorities straight.

"Do not worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older it will avoid you."
Has already happened Brad, these days the closest i get to a nice orgie, is when Dr. Hook sing about it ! ;)

Has already happened Brad, these days the closest i get to a nice orgie, is when Dr. Hook sing about it ! ;)
It’s like the only reason you throw your keys into a bowl any more is so you can remember where you left them.

Ironically, the food is likely to be less enjoyable at such a restaurant because it is chef ego focused rather than thinking about what the clientele might enjoy eating.

Could “3 star” hifi be the same…
Ego is usually at the heart of all problems one cannot rationally defend or explain. Applies to any aspect of life, of course, but in that sense high end hi fi as well.

Reactions: christoph
Please start another thread if you want to play amateur psychologist. A page of that here is more than enough.

Reactions: dbeau and Argonaut
After a confusing beginning I spent almost 5 hours listening to digital last night for the purpose of evaluating the Innuous PhoenixUSB reclocker. I put the reclocker in and took it out -- back-and-forth -- several times.

When I first plugged in this device the sudden edginess on female vocals was horrifying. It was totally unmistakable. It was unlistenable. WTF? Is this what this device sounds like? A increase in resolution accompanied by a tilted up tonal balance and terrible edginess?!?! No thank you!

Almost 100% of audio reviewers and audiophiles report positive sonic improvements with this PhoenixUSB. So my anomalous result was very confusing.

But I have had so many issues with components in my system and so many sonic gremlins that I was fully prepared to chalk it up to the evil audio poltergeists which have taken up residence in my listening room. I went to sleep flummoxed and annoyed, as I have many times from this hobby in the last two years.

I have a lot of prejudicial skepticism (arising from my amateur radio and Heathkit-building days when things could be figured out objectively using formulas) about a lot of things in our hobby, but my skepticism is subject to easy refutation via subjective listening.

15 hours later all, or almost all, of the edginess was gone, leaving only improved resolution and a bit of a sense of slightly greater energy and "aliveness." Just to make sure I wasn't deluding myself with careless volume differences towards the end of the evening I played the stereo louder than I had at the beginning of the evaluation to confirm that the edginess largely evaporated.

I am highly confident that something in the PhoenixUSB or the $39 Audioquest Pearl .5m USB cable I bought as a temporary wire, or both, "settled in" after they were plugged in for about 15 hours. Does the frequency reference "clock" in the PhoenixUSB need time to stabilize? Is there something in it that needs to warm up for a long time? I have no idea. This is a wacky hobby.

Bottom line: I am happy with what the PhoenixUSB is doing (higher resolution), and I am keeping it.

My entire digital playback leg of my source triad is very modest ($13,600 MSRP including DAC, streamer, CD transport, reclocker, power supply and cables) compared to that of almost everybody else here. I have to say digital was sounding darn good last night! (no alcohol involved)

But this reclocker episode, I am sorry to report, gave the rabbit the opportunity to start digging a hole. :eek: What's the best ethernet buffer for less than a $1,000?

Last edited:
Ron, you asked for it here. 5789 posts without a punchline....yet.
I disagree. System threads chronicle journeys.

Instead of sympathizing with the thread polluters please tell us if in your experience digital "clocks" need a day to settle down after they get installed and before they start enabling the sound they are supposed to enable?

Instead of sympathizing with the thread polluters please tell us if in your experience digital "clocks" need a day to settle down after they get installed and before they start enabling the sound they are supposed to enable?
Yes, clocks need a day or two to stabilize and sound their best.

Isn’t it safe to say that every electronic component needs time to settle. Not sure why you just didn’t let it do that the first time around rather than yanking it quickly upon first impression

Isn’t it safe to say that every electronic component needs time to settle.
no

I don't think computers or amateur radio components or power supplies or automotive electronic components need time to settle.

no

I don't think computers or amateur radio components or power supplies or automotive electronic components need time to settle.
Ron, Im talking audio components not amateur radio but what ever

Reactions: Ron Resnick
but this one is most non linear. and you have taken it on widely varied directions. so herding cats is hard when you are the chief cat that refuses to be herded.
Yes, clocks need a day or two to stabilize and sound their best.
my clock and cable has been 'on' and settling since last June, 13 months. it's cooked in.

the huge performance effect on the transport was immediate and startling. the added ease has slowly built since. is that the clock melding with the transport, or the transport settling, or the chassis settling, or a little of all three?

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
so herding cats is hard when you are the chief cat that refuses to be herded.

To avoid scratching on other furniture (threads), most people give their cats a scratch pole so the cats focus on that and don't target other areas. For me, this thread is my scratch pole. I suggest the chief cat also do his video scratching here. Has ruined a lot of my furniture over the last 5 years.

IMG_4276.jpeg

Last edited:
To avoid scratching on other furniture (threads), most people give their cats a scratch pole so the cats focus on that and don't target other areas. For me, this thread is my scratch pole. I suggest the chief cat also do his video scratching here. Has ruined a lot of my furniture over the last 5 years.

View attachment 133399View attachment 133399
Looks like a special model 90210 bass absorber ! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu