There is a 30db difference between the bass octave and the 10 KHz level.

The slope is too steep. It is why I asked about the type of noise you are using in measurements.

The XLF initial weighted responses in my room. The steep cut off at 30 Hz was corrected by reversing the bass port to the back position and adding subs. View attachment 104547
Could be a bit bright, no?

Information and amazing help in all sorts of endeavors, without Peter and Ians help on the ground in Boston i would not have dared buy my latest speakers. And without Davids help i would probably still be waiting to have them shipped. I know these kind gentlemen trough WBF only ! :)
What speakers are you referring to?

Could be a bit bright, no?

No, the opposite. The tilt is downwards. It is why I am questioning the curves. After 5kHz we see a -12dB octave slope. We need more information.

What speakers are you referring to?
Martin Logan Statement E2, from a private seller in Boston. Peter and Ian went to the seller and inspected them for me ! :)

No, the opposite. The tilt is downwards. It is why I am questioning the curves. After 5kHz we see a -12dB octave slope. We need more information.
Your curve looks quite flat…the slope is more gradual than recommended by B&K. I am assuming this is the room response not just on axis, or?

So the Pendragons are new. I thought they had just been in storage.

Both. The speakers are new-in-box, but they have been in storage for six years.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Johan K
Tinka and I were honored to be treated to a gourmet meal last night prepared by Joseph Cali and Lori Lieberman at their home. Rune Skov and Anthony Chiarella also attended this amazing dinner.

During a listening session in Joe and Lori's home with Joe's amazing all-Gryphon system, I saw for the first time the acoustic products of Vicoustic. Vicoustic makes the Multifuser Wood 36 which targets the 2kHz to 5kHz frequency range.

The solid red line in the first image, and the red dot plot in the second image, suggest this product might be the right medicine for an elevated 2kHz to 5kHz anomaly.

B7403EF8-6D66-46C4-9D37-79B772E2B2A3.png

BFB76F65-445D-4739-A0B7-B990B270A5F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Those look very promising! And they are wood not poly styrene which is very flammable and does not reflect as well.

i bet the evening was super fun. Greats folks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick
You have the patience of Job.

Not at all. I just had bigger problems – real life problems – to deal with rather than worry about a mere hobby.

If the most traumatic or difficult thing one has to deal with in life is a delay on setting up speakers, then one is a very lucky audiophile.

Last edited:
6D27E372-372D-455E-A7F8-082996FD86AC.jpeg

6n years? I can't wait for the Fedex man to come. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: ICUToo
Not at all. I just had bigger problems – real life problems – to deal with rather than worry about a mere hobby.

If the most traumatic or difficult thing one has to deal with in life is a delay on setting up speakers, then one is a very lucky audiophile.
Amazing how many times you have to remind people of this when they are yelling on an audio website. And I hope things have worked themselves out.

Reactions: christoph
After all this time, work and money, I suggest you axe the tube traps and build 45 degree corners to at least hide them, or something like these:

They might be necessary evils, but keep the room classy. PS Audio's original room installation, IMHO, had classy corner traps a while back (YouTube videos available).

Just a thought.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
Amazing how many times you have to remind people of this when they are yelling on an audio website. And I hope things have worked themselves out.

Indeed, it is good to keep perspective. In the big picture, we are debating relatively trivial First World problems in audio here. Even though they can keep us dissatisfied, busy, restless etc.

Reactions: christoph
It goes without saying. His shoes may be made of fine Italian, leather but you don't know what its like to you walk a mile in them. I hope you have emerged into the light and have smooth sailing form herein. Pardon the mixed metaphor.

After all this time, work and money, I suggest you axe the tube traps and build 45 degree corners to at least hide them, or something like these:

They might be necessary evils, but keep the room classy. PS Audio's original room installation, IMHO, had classy corner traps a while back (YouTube videos available).

Just a thought.
I read his bass traps did not work if I recall.

The most difficult thing for some audiophiles is to worry about what visitors say on the forum after they listen to their system

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing