I don't have a scale.
I have a scale and I don't use it. That is because I have a mirror over my sink. I can't pretend I have a 200 lb leg in the mirror.

I saw your statement after I posted mine Greg. Mirror is not always your friend.

Thank you, but "upper mid" and "lower treble" mean different different frequencies to different people.

Which frequency or narrow frequency range is the "zing" you are talking about?
We’ve been around this loop already…reread earlier posts.

let me go above this. while room freq responses help and I do agree there needed. it’s the over sound we each need to like. I’ve been to rooms that were very good on paper but was not music to me.
also close to flat that were amazing.
With headphones most measure the same yet very different in sound. on CIEMS there is a mid freq 4 to 6 k that can be zing if it’s not a bit laid back.
now maybe this is me and im old too.
even if I shut off tweeters on my Maggie’s to adjust weight , scale and imaging if too loud it hurts to me grunge in sound.
Mids in general are hard to make right. just my buck 380 view.

No, ribbons and planars tend to be smooth through the midband. Upper mid, lower treble zing was above that. As I posted, BG tells you that there is a resonance that must be tamed with a notch filter…it’s not speculation and it doesn’t go away with break in. What could happen with break in is that the frequency shifts a bit due to loosening up and matches better with the notch filter.
I suppose Ron could just ask Gryphon if there is a notch filter in his passive crossover or not.

That, and these are unlikely to be the same as the traditional BG ribbons. As I said, BG were working on upgraded ribbons that wouldn't have the beaming issue. Pendragon look like the latest and greatest in a new fascia before BG closed down due to death of one of the principles.

The pair I have don't seem to beam in any obnoxious way that I can tell, and are very efficient when driven directly with no passive crossover.

Reactions: morricab
I suppose Ron could just ask Gryphon if there is a notch filter in his passive crossover or not.

That, and these are unlikely to be the same as the traditional BG ribbons. As I said, BG were working on upgraded ribbons that wouldn't have the beaming issue. Pendragon look like the latest and greatest in a new fascia before BG closed down due to death of one of the principles.

The pair I have don't seem to beam in any obnoxious way that I can tell, and are very efficient when driven directly with no passive crossover.
Ok. My understanding was that the resonance was a function of the cavity in the steel frame not the foil itself. This means that it is inherent in how they build up the driver to deal with the strong magnets and keeping the spacing even fit uniform fields.

If I read the following post I would just roll my eyes.

I really feel like the system sounds smoother and more convincing after it's been on for two or three hours. :rolleyes:

I have a scale and I don't use it. That is because I have a mirror over my sink. I can't pretend I have a 200 lb leg in the mirror.

I saw your statement after I posted mine Greg. Mirror is not always your friend.
A mirror is rarely an audiophile’s friend o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K
Self-reflection never good in this hobby
Sure diffusers are good… but where is the stent and the collagen when you really need it :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin
A mirror is rarely an audiophile’s friend o_O

The best use of a large mirror in audio is affixing one on the back wall of an equipment closet to help one see the connectors and labels on the back panels of the components.

A mirror is also useful for expecting your stylus.

Reactions: Alrainbow
mirrors have a few functions most common is mid seat reflection point
Styles yes
Behind equipment racks a good idea me I take pics
And organize the photos
what I find very helpful is lasers
pointers , measure distance and most is to use to know of the speakers are even
I use a cross hair one at seat and one at front of speakers. I use blue painter tape on wood floors
also having measurements

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut
At the risk of causing the pot to be stirred again.

How is the system coming Ron? Is more time allowing things to settle in and improve?
Have you moved the speakers or seat around any more?
I know there are a number of members here that have followed your progress with the anticipation of a wonderful room and system.

Sorry, a thread once again turned into, casting aspersions of who did what wrong.
Anyway many of us would like to hear how your progress is coming.

Reactions: Pokey77 and HughP3
At the risk of causing the pot to be stirred again.

How is the system coming Ron? Is more time allowing things to settle in and improve?
Have you moved the speakers or seat around any more?
I know there are a number of members here that have followed your progress with the anticipation of a wonderful room and system.

Sorry, a thread once again turned into, casting aspersions of who did what wrong.
Anyway many of us would like to hear how your progress is coming.
Ron, keep the updates coming. I'm excited for you and your system!

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing