I have never found on Qobuz a "Night on Bare Mountain" or a "Pictures at an Exhibition" that I find more convincing and natural sounding than The Power of the Orchestra (Chesky RC30).

Please post links from Qobuz to your favorite digital versions of these two titles and I will compare them to the Chesky.
Hi Ron,

Is this the same recording of Bald Mountain as on Chesky RC30?

Francisco, why don’t you want to answer Ron’s question? Even though you don’t use these recordings as your reference, you state that you’ve listened to a lot of them. Don’t you have favorites available on Qobuz? Ron is curious.

No, I do not. In fact, I have not listened to these particular pieces for some time, except perhaps at audio shows and demos. But If I wanted to listen I would probably pick my old LPs - nostalgia is also part of the hobby and I still associate Symphonie Fantastique with Reference Recordings, RR-11 - I have great memories of enjoyable moments listening to it with great people!

Why ask David for his opinion on the Chesky recording? What will that tell Ron?

Ron will tell us if he asks the question. Meanwhile I suggest you research these recordings, as some people seem to be doing, if you are really curious on the subject.

Sorry, since long I am not using "explosive", impressive or Mozart music as a reference for my listening. I listened to a lot of them, Chesky RC30 is part of the Harry Pearson TAS list and sounds impressive, but if you look at opinions of people about the many versions and re-issues of this recording you will find people opinions split between them, considering them from fabulous to miserable for the same version! This seems to mean that the mastering and pressing determines the quality of the LP, not the fact that it is a miraculous analog recording.

May I suggest that you ask David (DDK) about this particular LP when he visits you? ;)

So it actually is you who cannot refer me to a digital version you like? :rolleyes:

I regret entertaining in good faith your line of questioning.

Reactions: Lagonda and PeterA
Hi Ron,

Is this the same recording of Bald Mountain as on Chesky RC30?

Unfortunately the link you posted is not working for me.

Don came over last night for several hours. Keith, you will be happy that he twisted my arm, and we did quite a bit of ribbon panel position experimentation.

Unlike Magnepans and MartinLogans which have a much narrower sweet spot and are quite sensitive to toe-in, this Pendragon ribbon driver seems to have much wider off axis response. When the Prodigys were in the room there's no way I could've sat on a couch 3 feet to the side of the center listening chair and had a nice time listening to music.

Neither Don nor I heard the tonal balance change from moderate toe-in to pointed dead straight ahead (no toe-in).

Don feels the ribbons are projecting a lot of energy in the upper midrange area. I agree. He thinks this is making voices and instruments in that frequency range a little bit too prominent, a little bit bright. I think I agree

We experimented with A) acoustic absorption panels on the front wall, B) Tube Traps behind the speakers, and C) absorption panels on the front wall plus Tube Traps behind the speakers.

The absorption components did take the edge off of the brightness, but we couldn't figure out if we preferred A) or B) or C).

This upper midrange brightness point may be at the point of individual, subjective preference. I think I happen to agree with Don in that I still hear a little bit of upper midrange brightness, but Phil Ressler and JimFord disagree, at least upon first hearing.

Don felt the tonal balance of the Magnepan 1.6s was perfect, but I feel intellectually, at least, if not both intellectually and personal preference-wise, that they were a little bit rolled off.

Don felt that between the original moderate toe-in position and the dead straight ahead no toe-in position the soundstage moved a little bit, but he could not tell which way he preferred the soundstage. He felt with the speakers straight ahead the soundstage was pushed a little bit back toward the front wall, but that there was no change in depth.

Don feels that the LP playback in general is a little bit brighter than the tape playback in general. That could bring us back to Phil Ressler's point that the Denon may be introducing a bit of brightness.

Last edited:
Yes, that is the performance on the Chesky LP.

Last edited:
It is interesting that Anette herself joined a high-end audio manufacturer to perform at an audio show.

Do you think Vidar would have any appetite for recording Anette using a purely analog chain and mastering to vinyl side-by-side with the audio chain he uses to create a digital file?

(Alternatively I am happy to rent a Neumann U47, and record her live in my listening room to my A820.)
I think he was talking in general terms about the lack of good stereo equipment in many of his clients, Anette being the exemption.

I have no idea, he probably doesn’t have the equipment to do an all analog chain, but I can ask. On one of the pictures from his web site, there is actually a tape recorder in the background, so perhaps it is possible after all..

Can I join if you do a home recording with Anette? :cool:

Reactions: Ron Resnick
Don came over last night for several hours. Keith, you will be happy that he twisted my arm, and we did quite a bit of ribbon panel position experimentation.

Unlike Magnepans and MartinLogans which have a much narrower sweet spot and are quite sensitive to toe-in, this Pendragon ribbon driver seems to have much wider off axis response. When the Prodigys were in the room there's no way I could've sat on a couch 3 feet to the side of the center listening chair and had a nice time listening to music.

Neither Don nor I heard the tonal balance change from moderate toe-in to pointed dead straight ahead (no toe-in).

Don feels the ribbons are projecting a lot of energy in the upper midrange area. I agree. He thinks this is making voices and instruments in that frequency range a little bit too prominent, a little bit bright. I think I agree

We experimented with A) acoustic absorption panels on the front wall, B) Tube Traps behind the speakers, and C) absorption panels on the front wall plus Tube Traps behind the speakers.

The absorption components did take the edge off of the brightness, but we couldn't figure out if we preferred A) or B) or C).

This upper midrange brightness point may be at the point of individual, subjective preference. I think I happen to agree with Don in that I still hear a little bit of upper midrange brightness, but Phil Ressler and JimFord disagree, at least upon first hearing.

Don felt the tonal balance of the Magnepan 1.6s was perfect, but I feel intellectually, at least, if not both intellectually and personal preference-wise, that they were a little bit rolled off.

Don felt that between the original moderate toe-in position and the dead straight ahead no toe-in position the soundstage moved a little bit, but he could not tell which way he preferred the soundstage. He felt with the speakers straight ahead the soundstage was pushed a little bit back toward the front wall, but that there was no change in depth.

Don feels that the LP playback in general is a little bit brighter than the tape playback in general. That could bring us back to Phil Ressler's point that the Denon may be introducing a bit of brightness.
Next time you feel like changing the alignment of the speakers, try repositioning the mid/tweeter panels so that they are slightly (1or 2 degrees), angled away from the listening position (ie:, toed outward). This may help to reduce the slight brightness that you are experiencing. Your center image should still be ok....perhaps even better as the rear wave will be directed to the center of the wall behind the speakers.
Cheers.....

Good point.
I used to tilt upward.

So it actually is you who cannot refer me to a digital version you like? :rolleyes:

Sorry Ron. As I explained I have not listened to these music recordings in digital and I am not going to spend my time researching and listening to digital versions of them to feed our discussion on digital versus analog.

I regret entertaining in good faith your line of questioning.

My line of questioning was simple - unless we know the recordings people listen and are addressing our debates are empty. I understand your points better after learning what are your music preferences.

Next time you feel like changing the alignment of the speakers, try repositioning the mid/tweeter panels so that they are slightly (1or 2 degrees), angled away from the listening position (ie:, toed outward). This may help to reduce the slight brightness that you are experiencing. Your center image should still be ok....perhaps even better as the rear wave will be directed to the center of the wall behind the speakers.
Cheers.....
interesting. Thank you for the suggestion.

But if the ribbon driver is exposed and open to both the front and the back, and blocked only on the sides (the supporting structure of the tower) why would it matter which side of the driver is facing the listener?

interesting. Thank you for the suggestion.

But if the ribbon driver is exposed and open to both the front and the back, and blocked only on the sides (the supporting structure of the tower) why would it matter which side of the driver is facing the listener?
Although dipole's aren't "quite" as sensitive to toe in as conventional enclosure based designs, the angling in ( toe in) can effect the perception of an elevated ( or reduced) treble response..... What you said makes sense, however I think you will hear a slightly different tonal balance by toeing out the mid/treble panels.... it may be minor, or perhaps not....
Cheers....

A large enough fraction of my favorite titles are on tape that I'm questioning whether I even need vinyl.

When a tape soundly beats the vinyl, I can't even listen to the vinyl anymore.

It seems to be in the nature of tape that it sounds more relaxed and wider and more spacious. Instruments and singers are more separated. Everything seems a little bit more spread out.

Of course, the Denon is not a fair match for the Studer.

BTW, the common feedback from the Montreal audio fest last week regarding the Nagra Turntable is that it sounds not like vinyl but like master tape. Just thought I would mention as I know you asked about this TT in another thread.

Also, regarding digital - you can't really compare until you've heard the Taiko Extreme with the latest XDMS software and the new Switch/Network card. It certainly doesn't sound dry or "digital" at all.

BTW, the common feedback from the Montreal audio fest last week regarding the Nagra Turntable is that it sounds not like vinyl but like master tape. Just thought I would mention as I know you asked about this TT in another thread.

Thank you for this report. Now that I've been spending a lot of time with tape, I am skeptical that any vinyl sounds like master tape or even safety copy tape.

The build quality of the Nagra looks impeccable, but I personally could never get comfortable with a captive tonearm situation.

Thank you for this report. Now that I've been spending a lot of time with tape, I am skeptical that any vinyl sounds like master tape or even safety copy tape.

The build quality of the Nagra looks impeccable, but I personally could never get comfortable with a captive tonearm situation.
I know… just repeating what I heard about feedback from the show.

The tonearm is definitely changeable. I will send you some photos. It may take someone to make an adapter but there’s no reason why it can’t be done.

Ron, you can see how the tonearm base detaches in this animation:

One could give the tonearm base to the new tonearm supplier and have them make a suitable new mount.

That’s what I would do if I wanted to change the tonearm; but I would only do it if I had to. I think if you buy the Nagra TT, you are buying into the system approach.

Also, longevity of the tonearm should not be a concern, given that it’s a unipivot — unless it’s damaged.

Now that makes sense! Thank you!

Thank you for this report. Now that I've been spending a lot of time with tape, I am skeptical that any vinyl sounds like master tape or even safety copy tape. (...)

Surely it can't. But in my experience some turntables are better suppressing vinyl artifacts than others - I can say that for me, the TechDas AF1+ was much closer to tape than the EMT927.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing