The MV88 better captures the resolution and transparency I hear in the room. The internal iPhone mic better captures the (warmer/richer) tonal balance I hear in the room.

I hate to put it this way, but the internal iPhone mic is a bit analogous to a warmer tube sound, and the MV88 is a bit analogous to a more neutral and more resolving solid-state sound.

That still does not answer - do you think one is not representative of your system while another is? As an iphone video skeptic, if you think sharing iphone videos to listen to systems is a batty idea, does the Shure make it representative. Or, are they both representative to get an idea. The fact that Shure has more resolution than the iphone, or shows a different attribute, is not the answer.

Reactions: PeterA
This iPhone mic recording sounds pretty representative
tonally of what I hear in the room.

Carole King "Will You Still Love Me Tomorow"

Reactions: bonzo75 and Al M.
That still does not answer - do you think one is not representative of your system while another is? As an iphone video skeptic, if you think sharing iphone videos to listen to systems is a batty idea, does the Shure make it representative. Or, are they both representative to get an idea. The fact that Shure has more resolution than the iphone, or shows a different attribute, is not the answer.
I understand. That is because I do not have an answer yet.

I don't know how to say which is more representative when one gets an "A" on resolution and a "C" on tonal balance, and the other gets a "C" on resolution and an "A" on tonal balance.

I think this production tape of Tapestry has the greatest harmony separation between Carole King and and James Taylor on "Will You Still Love Me Tomorow" that I have heard. This separation does not come through on the iPhone recording using the internal mic.

The tape is quieter, more relaxed, and just more emotionally-involving than either of the two Tapestry LPs I compared the tape to tonight.

Last edited:
Kedar, you're going to hate this comment, but I am beginning to wonder if the linear-tracking tonearms are better able than pivoting tonearms to mimic the sense of relaxed-ness I hear consistently from tape.

Last edited:
Uh-oh! :eek:

IMG_5656.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Scott Naylor
Sharing video recordings with friends proved really helpful to me in setting up my speakers. Comments and suggestions based on recordings led to positive in-room results.

I think it's great that that process worked for you!

Perhaps you could elaborate on this in your system thread, or start a new thread describing how one goes about using videos to enable friends to assist with speaker set-up remotely.

Perhaps you could chronicle the iterative process by which the videos and discussions with friends resulted in incremental changes to your speaker positioning and yielded sonic improvements.

This iPhone mic recording sounds pretty representative
tonally of what I hear in the room.

Carole King "Will You Still Love Me Tomorow"

Ron, for my part there is a persistent upper base boom present in this particular video , perhaps a second recording utilising the MV88 might prove illuminating .

I understand. That is because I do not have an answer yet.

I don't know how to say which is more representative when one gets an "A" on resolution and a "C" on tonal balance, and the other gets a "C" on resolution and an "A" on tonal balance.

Ron, how can one configuration get an A on resolution and not do well on total balance? Poor total balance, that is one that does not reflect the way the system sounds at the listening seat, shows that is not resolving enough. Accurate total balance is a reflection of the transparency of the recording. Your grading scale makes no sense to me so I’m having a difficult time following the discussion about which video sounds more like what you hear from the listening seat.

Ron, how can one configuration get an A on resolution and not do well on total balance? Poor total balance, that is one that does not reflect the way the system sounds at the listening seat, shows that is not resolving enough. Accurate total balance is a reflection of the transparency of the recording. Your grading scale makes no sense to me so I’m having a difficult time following the discussion about which video sounds more like what you hear from the listening seat.
Peter, does your “total balance” mean the same as Ron's “tonal balance”? I’m having difficulty following now.

Btw, I’ve heard kit that excels at resolution but is less forthcoming with distinguishing instrumental timbre as documented by the recording (original ML CLS's for one). Ron's description in post #1685 makes sense to me in that context.

Reactions: morricab
Peter, does your “total balance” mean the same as Ron's “tonal balance”? I’m having difficulty following now.

Btw, I’ve heard kit that excels at resolution but is less forthcoming with distinguishing instrumental timbre as documented by the recording (original ML CLS's for one). Ron's description in post #1685 makes sense to me in that context.

For me, the term “resolution“ is all encompassing. I don’t think a system can be highly resolving if the tonal balance seems off. The gauge is live music. There is a range in which a violin or piano sounds natural. If the tone of that instrument does not sound right on a system, the system in my mind cannot be highly resolving. I understand that some might consider this to be controversial.

Reactions: tima
For me, the term “resolution“ is all encompassing. I don’t think a system can be highly resolving if the tonal balance seems off. The gauge is live music. There is a range in which a violin or piano sounds natural. If the tone of that instrument does not sound right on a system, the system in my mind cannot be highly resolving. I understand that some might consider this to be controversial.
i think "resolution" (highly resolving), correct tonal balance, and realism are not interchangeable terms. they relate parts of the musical aspects of the sound.

you can have high resolution, yet lack tonal balance or realism. these things can vary from one reproduction experience to the next one. or even vary with live music experiences. although live experiences are by definition 'real'. but some live experiences are less able to be easily consumed than other live experiences. maybe also varying with the experience of the listener. not every mind processes information equally.

just my viewpoint.

i don't agree there is 'correct' and 'incorrect' as absolutes. but i could see how others view it differently. or have a particular mind set where it does become a binary environment. all the way on or off. a state of mind. expectations met or not.

how does one improve things if there are not gradations of progress? or even ways to view these different parts of progress?

Last edited:
Peter,

We established both publicly and privately several years ago that you and I simply have irreconcilable definitions of "resolution." See https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/what-do-we-mean-by-resolution.33785/

Resolution, to me, is a substantially objective concept, analogous to pixels in video (more pixels per inch equals greater resolution).

Resolution, tonal balance and transparency are three discrete attributes. I consider resolution and transparency to be related (unclear, ill-defined sound cannot be very transparent), and tonal balance is totally separate and relates to subjectively perceived frequency response.

I think "poor tonal balance . . . shows that [the system] is not resolving enough. Accurate tonal balance is a reflection of the transparency of the recording" is a confused mash-up of these three terms.

Ron, for my part there is a persistent upper base boom present in this particular video ,

That is interesting. Thank you for this comment.

Do you hear it on any of the other videos I posted yesterday?

I think that while I am playing the stereo system at my normal listening volume, that volume might be overloading the microphones(?)

Ron,

If the tape sounds smooth, as you are probably aware, some alternative but effective TT adjustments could also include slightly reducing the VTA or sllghtly increasing the VTF.

And there are others in other categories.

Just don't want you to get bored...
Or replacing his temporary DD TT with something better ! ;)

Kedar, you're going to hate this comment, but I am beginning to wonder if the linear-tracking tonearms are better able than pivoting tonearms to mimic the sense of relaxed-ness I hear consistently from tape.
It is funny you say this. For a while I had thought the same thing. My experiences in systems with LT arms were consistently better than systems with pivoted arms. I had always taken for granted that the arms were setup correctly in every system given the $$$ tag of the system.

Coming full circle, I have come to realize that the additional complexity of proper setup of the pivoted arms is what was left on the table. When revisiting these same systems with the arm properly setup resulted in no distinction in performance. In fact, in half the cases the pivoted arms were superior

Reactions: PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu