bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't see your post there. What do you mean? What did you say back then?

sorry, I didn’t mean post 106. I meant this is the 106th thing I can say I told you so, that SETs are not going to be required on the pendragon

Last edited:
Reactions: pjwd

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
sorry, I didn’t mean post 106. I meant this is the 106th thing I can say I told you so, that SETs are going to be required on the pendragon
I'm confused, because I wrote that I don't have the desire presently to investigate SETs that I thought I would have.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
LOL! They'll wear you down. I gaze into my crystal ball, and I see an 845 amp looming up in the mists.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
LOL! They'll wear you down. I gaze into my crystal ball, and I see an 845 amp looming up in the mists.

Nope. It would be Trafomatic Drinas for me.

• Love
Reactions: christoph

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
A GM70 at Minimum...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'm confused, because I wrote that I don't have the desire presently to investigate SETs that I thought I would have.

sorry edited my previous post. somehow had missed out “not”

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
  • Wow
Reactions: morricab

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
It seems like the ribbon panels are smoothing out on their own.

View attachment 105247
Ron ... thats pretty damm good for the short time you've spent !
Not sure if iPad is the last word in plots but it is indicative and each plot is relative.
As I understand it pink noise rolls off about 30db from 20 hz to 20khz so flat would be the red line on the graph so the brightness you hear may be the sag between 100 and 1000hz
I would favour a target similar to the green line .. this is similar in the hf range to what linkwitz determined was correct for dipoles .. and I like to goose it a bit in the bottom end :)
Of course this could just be a problem with meaurement .. not sure how its all processed

Has anyone suggested moving the bass towers inboard and leaving M/T where it is .. just to get them further away from wall .. just to delay wall reflections ... esp 250hz
Regardless its looking good
Cheers
Phil

Screenshot_20230301-071349_Gallery.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone suggested moving the bass towers inboard and leaving M/T where it is .. just to get them further away from wall .. just to delay wall reflections ... esp 250hz
Regardless its looking good
Cheers
Phil

Thank you, Phil!

Actually, Don Saltzman suggested moving the woofer towers one foot and two feet behind the ribbon panels. I vetoed that idea for now as 1) the woofer towers don't have the continuous phase adjustment (they don't have any phase adjustment) or time delay variability of Gary Koh's more complex Genesis woofer towers, 2) while I am not terribly sensitive to discontinuity, I am hearing no discontinuity between the towers with them right next to each other and I do not want to introduce any discontinuity, and 3) I consider the first stage done, and I just want to enjoy the system playing music for the foreseeable future, playing maybe only with absorption panels to and fro.

Someday in the future when I have the appetite for it I will definitely return to tower repositioning experimentation.

Now that the 20Hz drop off has disappeared I think that TubeTraps may do a respectable job of dampening the 65Hz peak.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I cannot help but wonder whether this path might not have proven a little less strewn with angst and introspection … there being such a sense of calm tranquility eminating from the writing regarding this system within the OP.

Last edited:

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Thank you, Phil!

Actually, Don Saltzman suggested moving the woofer towers one foot and two feet behind the ribbon panels. I vetoed that idea for now as 1) the woofer towers don't have the continuous phase adjustment (they don't have any phase adjustment) or time delay variability of Gary Koh's more complex Genesis woofer towers, 2) while I am not terribly sensitive to discontinuity, I am hearing no discontinuity between the towers with them right next to each other and I do not want to introduce any discontinuity, and 3) I consider the first stage done, and I just want to enjoy the system playing music for the foreseeable future, playing maybe only with absorption panels to and fro.

Someday in the future when I have the appetite for it I will definitely return to tower repositioning experimentation.

Now that the 20Hz drop off has disappeared I think that TubeTraps may do a respectable job of dampening the 65Hz peak.
I tend to agree with you re offset woofers as 250hz is in the range where you perceive location ( above 170hz supposedly)
Having said that I have a minidsp on woofers and the latency adds about 300mm in a time sense and it sounds ok to me at 210hz xover.
I am building an active crossover to improve that ( or at least bought the parts)
Time to enjoy it for a while before diving into fussing around again !

Cheers
Phil

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
How off-axis are the speakers? That could explain most of the drop.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
12db drop from 2-10K seems weird........

Yes, unfortunately it seems the mobile phone application is not able to smooth spectra or compute slopes.

See for example, the Sonus Faber Aida in my room (two different distances from speaker to back wall, REW , 1/6 octave smoothing - different, surely, but comparable with the Stereophile in room measurement in M. Fremer listening space.

exp.jpg )

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
No high power Russian tubes for me -- for high power for me it is Eimac or nothing.
Well, I doubt that Gryphon intended it, but you have an exquisite instrument for amplifier experimentation. Crossed over at 250 Hz, two thirds (maybe even more) of the power band requirement in the bass and lower midrange towers are already handled, leaving a third (maybe even less) of the power band requirement for the ribbons. Even at a nominally stated line array sensitivity of 89db, you wouldn't necessarily need high power for good results. It also doesn't look like it is difficult to splice amplifiers into and out of the ribbons.

Sooner or later, you will probably crave something a bit different just because. Your listening panel could probably bring amps over for comparison.

Reactions: christoph

russtafarian

Jul 11, 2012
I was part of the crew who came by last Saturday. This was a celebration amongst friends for the launch of Ron's new system. We talked. We ate. We sipped. We shared great records and tapes. We had a good time!

What did I hear? A combination of components I've not heard before, all in various stages of break-in, playing in a room that I'm not familiar with. I'm not gonna pass judgment on that.

Some of what I heard was stunningly good. The soundstaging was huge! The orchestra seating of Mehta's L.A. Phil performing Mahler 3rd was precisely mapped across the space between the speakers. Low frequency punch was tight and visceral. On the other hand, with a few tracks, at certain levels, those Pendragons really did breath fire. Ouch. But that'll get fixed. We indulged in swapping acoustic treatments while we listened, and we learned a few things from that. But that's not the main reason we were there.

We were there to celebrate Ron's new system.

Mission accomplished!

Russ

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, unfortunately it seems the mobile phone application is not able to smooth spectra or compute slopes.
I stopped using a mobile phone for this purpose two weeks ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johan K

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I was part of the crew who came by last Saturday. This was a celebration amongst friends for the launch of Ron's new system. We talked. We ate. We sipped. We shared great records and tapes. We had a good time!

What did I hear? A combination of components I've not heard before, all in various stages of break-in, playing in a room that I'm not familiar with. I'm not gonna pass judgment on that.

Some of what I heard was stunningly good. The soundstaging was huge! The orchestra seating of Mehta's L.A. Phil performing Mahler 3rd was precisely mapped across the space between the speakers. Low frequency punch was tight and visceral. On the other hand, with a few tracks, at certain levels, those Pendragons really did breath fire. Ouch. But that'll get fixed. We indulged in swapping acoustic treatments while we listened, and we learned a few things from that. But that's not the main reason we were there.

We were there to celebrate Ron's new system.

Mission accomplished!

Russ

Thank you, Russ! It was wonderful to have you and the crew over for the first official visit!

• Love
Reactions: Johan K

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I stopped using a mobile phone two weeks ago.

Then why not moving to REW? It is user friendly and extremely powerful and reliable in the analysis. Besides it is a free standard tool used by many audiophiles and the DIY community - we can find many tutorials and helpful people in the REW net users.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing