R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The photo below shows a view from a seat that I would choose.

Review: The Philharmonic Journeys From Ocean to Desert
The orchestra’s final program of the season featured the New York premiere of John Luther Adams’s “Become Desert.”

By Joshua Barone
June 9, 2023

[1. In John Luther Adams’s “Become Desert” at David Geffen Hall on Thursday, performers were perched in balconies at the rear of the auditorium and at the sides of the stage.Credit...Chris Lee]

Attachments

• temp1.jpg
    temp1.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
[1. In John Luther Adams’s “Become Desert” at David Geffen Hall on Thursday, performers were perched in balconies at the rear of the auditorium and at the sides of the stage.Credit...Chris Lee]

That is a cool picture with the conductor in the closed-circuit monitor for the off stage musicians.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Reactions: joaovieira

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
I own 3 Artesania Prestige racks. 2 shelves each.

Great results.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Fabio Storelli of Alma Music & Sound is planning to install my Innuos PULSEmini on Tuesday!

In preparation for the streamer I purchased several months ago the linear power supply from Linear Tube Audio. Is there any sonic significance to the power cable I use for that LTA power supply?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Fabio Storelli of Alma Music & Sound is planning to install my Innuos PULSEmini on Tuesday!

In preparation for the streamer I purchased several months ago the linear power supply from Linear Tube Audio. Is there any sonic significance to the power cable I use for that LTA power supply?
Get a reclocker between the streamer and DAC.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

What do you recommend? -- and please keep it relatively inexpensive.

PS: DavidAVDavid -- who visited me for eight days and now has by far the most ear time on the system of any visitor -- proved to me how good high-resolution digital files can sound.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
What do you recommend? -- and please keep it relatively inexpensive.

PS: DavidAVDavid -- who visited me for eight days and now has by far the most ear time on the system of any visitor -- proved to me how good high-resolution digital files can sound.
Mutec

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

My CD player uses the coaxial s/pdif input on the Baltic 4. The streamer will use the USB-B input on the Baltic 4.

Where does the re-clocker go in this picture?

Thank you!

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Do you have any experience with a DCC, like a Singxer, and if so how would they compare to a reclocker?

Thanks.....

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
My CD player uses the coaxial s/pdif input on the Baltic 4. The streamer will use the USB-B input on the Baltic 4.

Where does the re-clocker go in this picture?

Thank you!
You can connect the CD player to thes/pdif input and the streamer on the USB input and output whatever sounds best into the Baltic.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You can connect the CD player to thes/pdif input and the streamer on the USB input and output whatever sounds best into the Baltic.
You select the source on the reclocker

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tape has made me realize that vinyl is not the exalted and mystical playback medium I have always considered it to be; vinyl primarily is just a way to distribute music on a mass scale.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Tape has made me realize that vinyl is not the exalted and mystical playback medium I have always considered it to be; vinyl primarily is just a way to distribute music on a mass scale.

What do you mean by vinyl? What is your reference, the vinyl gear you selected for your own system, the vinyl gear you heard at Mike Lavigne‘s house and David Karmeli‘s house, or all vinyl that you have heard everywhere?

Is this comment based on your recent experience at the audio show?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Vinyl wasn't even considered the highest fidelity playback medium during its heyday. Reel-to-reel tape was. Vinyl was a convenient and accessible format for consumers.

Reactions: MPS and Argonaut

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What do you mean by vinyl?
I mean vinyl records.

What is your reference, the vinyl gear you selected for your own system, the vinyl gear you heard at Mike Lavigne‘s house and David Karmeli‘s house, or all vinyl that you have heard everywhere?
The reference is tape.

Is this comment based on your recent experience at the audio show?
No; this comment is based on my recent experiences with tape at home.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Vinyl wasn't even considered the highest fidelity playback medium during its heyday. Reel-to-reel tape was. Vinyl was a convenient and accessible format for consumers.

I agree on all points. This is my recent realization.

In one hand I am holding a tape which is claimed to be a tape which a vinyl pressing plant would use to make records. In the other hand I am holding a vinyl record resulting from playing that tape, and cutting a lacquer, and making a mother, and making a stamper and pressing a slab of vinyl.

I could play that generations more distant vinyl record -- or I could just play that tape.

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
It'd be a good time to mention that Ron and I spent several hours together this past Tuesday in his listening room. I think I selected most or all of the music from Ron's collection that we heard. We probably listened to more tape than vinyl, but we certainly sampled both. Not a single CD was played that day.

I found Ron's system immensely enjoyable. And over the course of the day, we played at least a few songs we both consider roughly top 10 of all time. Ron mentioned that he was nearly moved to tears during Bridge Over Troubled Waters as I recall. While I encountered the same emotion when Ron surprised me with a master tape of Whiter Shade of Pale.

PXL_20230613_212503196.jpg

I was absolutely bowled over. One of my all-time favorite pieces and in my opinion just a perfect song. I've probably listened to it a thousand times. And then to hear it sound like this ... Like I'd never heard before ... An amazing and emotional experience. It can't be described other than to say that off the tape, it sounded like it had been recorded on Monday. Versus any vinyl playback I'd ever heard that sounds comparatively low fidelity and almost muted. Whew. I believe we also played Ron's vinyl copy for good measure. For reference, Ron's 2-track master tape is referred to in this article by Art Dudley:

I know that Ron has countless hours of enjoyment ahead in his listening room. The 4 hours we spent felt like 4 minutes. A great day, with great music, and great company! Thank you again, Ron!

Obligatory pics follow.

PXL_20230613_193204059.jpg
PXL_20230613_193153069.jpg

PXL_20230613_193326964.jpg

PXL_20230613_193334737.jpg

PXL_20230613_193342397.jpg

PXL_20230613_231621929.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing