morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
lamm set amp produces uniform distortion k2 across the entire audio band. That leads to this impression. If he were to create more or less distortion in the treble, the impression would disappear. It is probably intended to keep K2 high in order to create the sound character. Blue 16ohm/ 8ohm magenta/4 ohm red tap. View attachment 119102
If you need more control over the speaker, you should use the 4 ohm tap dampingfactor high.
If you look at the distortion of most amps it rises sharply at higher frequencies.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
In what way is Mike's comment about Lamm amplifiers "like" an unrelated person's unrelated comment about a turntable?

They strike me as similar because each starts out with what seems like a fairly primary negative defining quality, the main point of the post, and then tries to ease the impact with a few positive comments after the criticism has been made. I find the tone, structure, and message of the two original posts quite similar.

Mike ends by saying he thinks he will surely get a bit of flack for his comments but it is truly what he thinks is going on. Well, Phoenix Engineering got that very flack from Mike while I suspect that he is very confident that his measurements demonstrate what is going on with the speed of the turntable.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I thought Mike's description of Lamm seemed perfectly accurate, although Peter and Tim would know better as they actually own Lamm amplifiers and have made direct comparisons to other amplifiers.

I truly consider the Lamm "whiff of darkness" to be an important sonic feature, and not a disadvantage. I think it is why my ears hear the high frequency reproduction of Lamm amplifiers as being so natural.

Brad makes an excellent point that maybe numerous SET amplifiers would tame the Wilson metal dome tweeter. I assume Viva Aurora would as well.

Reactions: MadFloyd

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Back to our regular programming . . .

Is anyone familiar with this 100 watt SET amplifier:

IMG_9278.jpeg

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
I am surprised no one has mentioned that the tonal balance descriptions of Lamm gear match very nicely the sound of the Dale/Vishay CMF resistors Lamm uses throughout their line. The Dale metal films have a warm low end and slightly soft highs together with very good dynamics and fairly good detail. I use them in several places in my electronics but I would certainly not use them everywhere. If I owned a Lamm phono stage, I doubt I could wait very long before replacing the loading resistors with Audio Note 2w Silver Tantalums.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
They also make a 110 watt 845 x 2 Class A push-pull!

GU81 seems to be a Russian version of 833?

Do any of our UK members know this company?

Maybe they will make an 833 amplifier?

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
If you look at the distortion of most amps it rises sharply at higher frequencies.

Brad, are you saying that it is not that Lamm tames Wilson's tweeter but that most other amps' distortion profiles cause the high frequency presentation from such tweeters or speakers to sound tipped up, or bright, or hot, or fatiguing? It is not so much about Lamm taming something, but alternatives adding to the problem. Is that right?

• Haha
Reactions: Argonaut

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I happen to have heard only Lamm tame the Wilson metal dome tweeter, and I am embarrassed that I made the basic logical fallacy of assuming it was something unique to Lamm. I bet Jadis SET, Viva SET, Kondo SET also would tame the Wilson metal dome tweeter.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I happen to have heard only Lamm tame the Wilson metal dome tweeter, and I am embarrassed that I made the basic logical fallacy of assuming it was something unique to Lamm. I bet Jadis SET, Viva SET, Kondo SET also would tame the Wilson metal dome tweeter.

I suspect those amps would sound quite different from each other paired with those Wilsons. Rather than a listener needing to "tame" that metal dome tweeter, perhaps he should just not pair it with a bright amplifier. You make it sound like these tube amps should be chosen as bandaids to put on a cut. Maybe that cut simply does not need alcohol or salt poured into it.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Rather than a listener needing to "tame" that metal dome tweeter, perhaps he should just not pair it with a bright amplifier. You make it sound like these tube amps should be chosen as bandaids to put on a cut. Maybe that cut simply does not need alcohol or salt poured into it.

Please know that I am not suggesting anything objective here. To my ears the Wilson metal dome tweeter always sounded bright and fatiguing; I am saying only that to my ears it needed taming.

Many people had for years Wilson speakers with metal dome tweeters. Think of how many people had WATT/Puppies (including Michael Fremer).

If one doesn't feel a cut, then one doesn't need a Band-Aid.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I suspect those amps would sound quite different from each other paired with those Wilsons.

Maybe. I don't know. But that's a different question.

I think each of those amplifiers likely would tame the fatiguing (to my ears) metal dome tweeter.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Please know that I am not suggesting anything objective here. To my ears the Wilson metal dome tweeter always sounded bright and fatiguing; I am saying only that to my ears it needed taming.

I am still curious about why what I heard from your earlier system videos was not reflected in your measurements in regard to the high frequencies. Have you discussed this with your various visitors? I heard your early videos as sounding tipped up while the graph showed a rather pronounced roll off. There seems almost no correlation between the two.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Maybe. I don't know. But that's a different question.

I think each of those amplifiers likely would tame the fatiguing (to my ears) metal dome tweeter.

That's my point. Perhaps the tweeter presentation would no longer be fatiguing, but for different reasons because the amps interact with it in different ways. In other words, not simply because all those tube amps are dark sounding or rolled off.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am still curious about why what I heard from your earlier system videos was not reflected in your measurements in regard to the high frequencies.

Full Answer: Acoustically-coupled digital recordings of stereo system analog playback of analog recordings don't convey the in-the-room sound of an unfamiliar system in an unfamiliar room.

Simple Answer: Videos suck!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That's my point. Perhaps the tweeter presentation would no longer be fatiguing, but for different reasons because the amps interact with it in different ways. In other words, not simply because all those tube amps are dark sounding or rolled off.
This is a reasonable theory. I just don't think that that is what is happening.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Full Answer: Acoustically-coupled digital recordings of stereo system analog playback of analog recordings don't convey the in-the-room sound of an unfamiliar system in an unfamiliar room.

I like this. The simple answer dispenses with what I suspected all along from those who have been carefully crafting qualifications to their position.

So let’s forget the videos that at one point you claimed were representative of what you heard. In the room, do you hear the high frequency roll off shown in your measurements, or are the measurements also no longer representative of what you hear in the room?

I am trying to understand why the written descriptions of the sound differ from what the measurements show. Your stated quest for more midbass to lower midrange energy from the presentation of your system does not seem to be reflected in the measurements that were posted a while ago.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I am surprised no one has mentioned that the tonal balance descriptions of Lamm gear match very nicely the sound of the Dale/Vishay CMF resistors Lamm uses throughout their line. The Dale metal films have a warm low end and slightly soft highs together with very good dynamics and fairly good detail. I use them in several places in my electronics but I would certainly not use them everywhere. If I owned a Lamm phono stage, I doubt I could wait very long before replacing the loading resistors with Audio Note 2w Silver Tantalums.

How about no.

Dale resistors are low distortion and don't have magnetic end caps. They're used in Lamm, sure, but they aren't the ones giving the sound in particular. I have an amp that has a Lamm like sound and there isn't 1 single Vishay part in it. I've heard plenty of things with RN's that are harsh - including Pass who offsets any of his nice sound with awful capacitors in many units. They simply are not a make/break component. Some even think they're metalic (not me). Material doesn't equal sound very often on the electronic side.

Tantalums are also described as warm btw, but airy. (warmer than RN by many's standards)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Except they show the headroom issue heard by Don and Phil.

Reactions: PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing