Room Acoustics

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
As one trying to manage my room acoustics, learning it is an art which is not always intuitive or consistent, I found this article interesting.
A point: My Magico speakers sit on plush carpet. I put them on a stone plate which tightened the bass considerably. However, I lost the elusive in- your- room presence that separates good and excellent sound reproduction. How can that be..... ?

Tightened bass usually means that you are now hearing vibrational harmonics from cabinet/floor resonances which tend to add "edge" to the sound far above the bass. Also, bass travels faster through the floor than through the air so additional coupling of the speaker to the floor may also add a sense of physical punch as an initial bass transient. The stone plate atop the carpet may be acting in similar ways. I have long eschewed spiking speakers to the floor for these reasons, preferring soft mounts which "float" the speakers atop the carpet. The same goes for speaker/stand interfaces with stand-mounted speakers. Softer mounts sound better overall, to my ears.

Reactions: Iamrael
As one trying to manage my room acoustics, learning it is an art which is not always intuitive or consistent, I found this article interesting.
A point: My Magico speakers sit on plush carpet. I put them on a stone plate which tightened the bass considerably. However, I lost the elusive in- your- room presence that separates good and excellent sound reproduction. How can that be..... ?
Presumably you had used spikes that pierce the carpet before introducing the slab. What floor construction is the carpet laid on?

I think I'd consider this:

1. Fix spikes to the underside of the stone slab so it is well grounded onto the floor - particularly if timber on concrete or other solid base
2. Fit IsoAcoustic Gaia isolation feet to your speakers.

I found that Gaias onto my solid floor improved the bass considerably - it was more detailed and with greater clarity. Instruments could much more easily be identified. One could add Gaia Carpet Discs in place of the stone slab, though this would appear to rather defeat the object, so keeping the slab to provide a firm base makes sense.

Agree with above posters that Gaias, or, as in my case, Townshend Podiums, are ideal for decoupling speakers from the room and provide instant benefits.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu