Roon alternatives?

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
I've been using Roon for many years with a mac mini as my server, but lately am seeing more posts that there are far better music players available.
I'm not a do-it-yourselfer and am not very tech savvy. As a result I'm quite intimidated by the Taiko threads, where it seems something is changing all the time.
Options I'm aware of are:
-Pay to apply room correction to Roon after using Accurate Sound
-Lumin U2 transport
-Taiko

Any suggestions appreciated.

Aurender is very simple and works great with their software. I really liked my N20. I think the Aurender products are great but the app for Roon I like better for finding music. For Roon I’m using the Sonore optical streamer.

I've been using Roon for many years with a mac mini as my server, but lately am seeing more posts that there are far better music players available.
I'm not a do-it-yourselfer and am not very tech savvy. As a result I'm quite intimidated by the Taiko threads, where it seems something is changing all the time.
Options I'm aware of are:
-Pay to apply room correction to Roon after using Accurate Sound
-Lumin U2 transport
-Taiko

Any suggestions appreciated.
I think you would find the Grimm Audio MU1 a large improvement from the mac mini. It is pretty much plug and play. The only thing to try would be the three oversampling options with your MSB to determine the best sound. This is done via a web interface that is very user friendly.

An in-home demo would tell you if it will work for you. A knowledgable dealer could walk you through the initial settings if it looks confusing to you and then it is set it and forget it. The online manual is very clear about the settings, so you may not need help: https://www.grimmaudio.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Manual-MU1-Software-V1.5.7.pdf

Try Jplay. I gave up using Roon even though I m a lifetime member . Check out Jplay free trial

Reactions: Thundersnow
I've tried several including Audirvana and Aurender. I always come back to Roon. The haters say that the sound quality out of Roon is inferior to other apps but I have never found that to be the case. Not in any way my aging ears can identify.

Cincy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing