Rumbling bass

jj2005

Aug 3, 2023
I bought an EAR/Yoshino912 pre due to the phono stage which is excellent on most records, however newer releases seem to give me a really bad rumbling bass which completely prevents listening at normal volume.
I know that some of these records are mastered like a CD to sound better in a small stereo but it is really bad with this pre-amp and even using only the line input from my streamer the bass is a problem!
does anyone have a idea if my unit is bad, or this is a known problem?, perhaps different tubes or replacing the coupling caps could help?

my speakers are Focal Sopra!

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I bought an EAR/Yoshino912 pre due to the phono stage which is excellent on most records, however newer releases seem to give me a really bad rumbling bass which completely prevents listening at normal volume.
I know that some of these records are mastered like a CD to sound better in a small stereo but it is really bad with this pre-amp and even using only the line input from my streamer the bass is a problem!
does anyone have a idea if my unit is bad, or this is a known problem?, perhaps different tubes or replacing the coupling caps could help?

my speakers are Focal Sopra!
Can you clarify the part I bolded?

What cartridge are you using?

Does this 'rumbling bass' happen at low volume as well as high volume?

jj2005

Aug 3, 2023
The bold text is my line input such as Cd, AUX etc. coming from a NAIM NDX2 streamer.

I use several low output MC’s ZYX Airy, ZYX Dynamic, Hana ML, please note the rumbling or boomy bass does not come when I connect to a different RIAA amplifier.

The rumbling boomy bass comes at all volume levels but if I crank up the volume even the slightest it becomes unbearable.

I have read elsewhere on this forum regarding EAR834P which could have some issues with boomy bass due to the Buffer tube, but then again the 834P is a completely different design than 912.

Again this is only with some albums which seem to have been mastered for bass, like Lana Del Rey(Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Boulevard), George Michael(Older) where as others such as Pink Floyd(The Wall), And all my older albums are perfect.
what bothers me is that it also is present with my streamer, which lead me to think the output voltage is a mismatch or something.
Or maybe my unit is defective.

any suggestions to what I could try is greatly appreciated!

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
So if I understand correctly it happens with digital and vinyl? That should narrow it down a lot.

Do you have a schematic for the 912? It uses ( according to the internet ) two 7DJ8 tubes in the line stage ( and three more for the phono ). Since your problem is in the line stage ( see my opening statement ) an easy first step would be to swap out those two tubes. Nothing expensive needed.

If its not the line stage tubes its gonna take a little more digging

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I use a modified 834 and haven't noticed problems with bass.

Republicoftexas69

What is the output volume on your dac/streamer?

jj2005

Aug 3, 2023
Update:changed all five To BEL, Gold-Kontakte / NOS, no more issues with bass, my only concern is that the amp is new, and other NOS tubes have that same issue.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing