S3 MK3 (2023) Arrived

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Mine arrived and now have around 150 hrs, the did not sound great initially for me but have opened up nicely after around 50hrs. How is your break in going?
Congratulations on your new speakers!
I can say that my new speakers sound wonderful. The sound is coherent, open, and full. One thing I noticed is that they are more directional than my previous model, so any small game with toe-in or-out, sound is felt.

Reactions: CKKeung

Solecky

Nov 30, 2020
I can say that my new speakers sound wonderful. The sound is coherent, open, and full. One thing I noticed is that they are more directional than my previous model, so any small game with toe-in or-out, sound is felt.
Thx

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
I had the opportunity to audition the Magico S3 2023 last Friday. Peter Mackay was on hand to moderate. Set up with Boulder electronics (1110 preamp, 2160 amp, 812 DAC), Nordost Odin 2 cables and the new Nordost QBase Reference power distribution system. While I know the S3 had a bit to go with regard to break in, it was extraordinarily musical and engaging. The speakers disappeared in the room, with unfettered dynamics, and surprisingly extended bass considering their size. The soundstage was simultaneously wide and tall extending to the limits of the room. Depth of imaging was a bit shallow but I attribute that in part to the electronics but primarily to the need for additional break in. I will return for another listen when the speakers have another 100 hours or so of run-in but having heard the new S3 first hand it is a significant leap forward from its predecessor.

I have read that previous generations of Magico speakers required significant run-in to reach their full potential. I can say first hand that the A5 required nearly 500 hours for the bass to completely appear and unify with the other drivers and cabinet. And that moment occurred as if flipping a switch. Now that I have listened to the S3, I am convinced this generation of Magico speakers shares this lengthy break-in requirement. New S3 owners will be rewarded for patience, the best is yet to come.
A lot of soundstage and imaging will also be proper speaker setup. It's very hard to find properly positioned/set up speakers in a dealer demo environment.

Reactions: exupgh12

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
A lot of soundstage and imaging will also be proper speaker setup. It's very hard to find properly positioned/set up speakers in a dealer demo environment.
Can't disagree with that statement but that was not the case in this situation. I've attended several product speaker demos at Soundings in Denver, in this same room; Rockport Cygnus/Avior II, Acora VRC/SRC-2/SRC-1, Magico A5/M2 come to mind. This demo room is fundamentally well designed, constructed and understood, acoustically, by the staff. Furthermore, the manufacturer participated in the set up and acknowledged that the speakers were properly set and would continue to improve over time.

Perhaps my comments about the performance of the S3 2023 were too reserved. It was apparent to me, and confirmed by others in attendance, that the S3 was not fully run in. Based on my own experience with other Magico speakers I could hear the mid bass was restrained and still incomplete.

In spite of this the sound of the S3 2023 is exceptional and certainly a speaker I would welcome into my home with open arms. I look forward to my next visit to Soundings to hear how the S3 has changed with more use.

Reactions: CKKeung

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
Can't disagree with that statement but that was not the case in this situation. I've attended several product speaker demos at Soundings in Denver, in this same room; Rockport Cygnus/Avior II, Acora VRC/SRC-2/SRC-1, Magico A5/M2 come to mind. This demo room is fundamentally well designed, constructed and understood, acoustically, by the staff. Furthermore, the manufacturer participated in the set up and acknowledged that the speakers were properly set and would continue to improve over time.

Perhaps my comments about the performance of the S3 2023 were too reserved. It was apparent to me, and confirmed by others in attendance, that the S3 was not fully run in. Based on my own experience with other Magico speakers I could hear the mid bass was restrained and still incomplete.

In spite of this the sound of the S3 2023 is exceptional and certainly a speaker I would welcome into my home with open arms. I look forward to my next visit to Soundings to hear how the S3 has changed with more use.

Thanks for the follow-up. Did you also hear the Rockport Cygnus/Avior system? Any impressions of how they compare and what is different to the new S3?

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
The new Magico S3 was on my short list for a possible future purchase. I have not had the opportunity to hear them but all the reviews have been stellar. However, watching this thread I may have to look elsewhere. Although I understand the need for run in to get best sq, the descriptions of what you’re are describing, while waiting for run time to produce some exceptional sound doesn’t inspire confidence. Certainly it is not what reviewers have described. I guess I’ll have to find a pair to actually listen to before I give up on them as an option.

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
Thanks for the follow-up. Did you also hear the Rockport Cygnus/Avior system? Any impressions of how they compare and what is different to the new S3?
So there is no confusion, the Rockport Cygnus and Avior II are two (2) different speakers. IMO neither have the speed or transparency of the Magico S3 2023. The new S3 is demonstrably superior in its ability to harvest and reveal low level information. During the listening session I attended the Rockport Cygnus was connected to the newly introduced BAT REX 500 power amp and BAT REX 3 preamp (Nordost Odin 2 cables and, IIRC, a Linn Klimax DSM network music player).

Last edited:

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
Reactions: GuyB

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
It has been almost two months since I received the speakers, and I estimate that I have used them for close to 300 hours. Last night, I had the pleasure of having two S3MK2 owners visit my home. Both of them use Luxman 900 pre- and amps (similar to my electronics), and both of them are very familiar with my system, meaning they have heard the S3MK2 in my room several times.

We all sat down and I let them play the music they know well. Their reactions were as follows:

(a) The new speakers have a much bigger soundstage than the previous generation.

(b) The new speakers are much more airy and detailed in the upper octaves, able to reveal more details than had been possible on the previous S3. The new model is able to do this without the cost of being a bright speaker.

(c) The mids are more detailed, perhaps a little less "sweet" than the previous model, but more coherent with the tweeter. Both of them preferred the current female and male vocals or instrument voices that the new S3 throws into space.

(d) In the lower octave (bass), the S3MK3 is more detailed and can move more air, and the sound is deeper than the S3MK2 can achieve.

In addition to all of the above, you can add that there is less box resonance (just put your hand on the older and newer S3 when playing a low octave). The new speaker is also very agile and quick.

To summarize, the new S3MK3 speakers are a significant improvement over the previous generation in terms of soundstage, detail, clarity, and bass performance. They are also more coherent and agile.

Last, I think the new model design feet and finish are beautiful and better than ever.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I have been watching this thread for a bit as my dealer has a pair of S3 due to arrive shortly. He has been trying to get me into the Magico lineup for years. I have done quite a bit of listening to the A5 and it is a nice speaker. But having lived with a Planer speakers for years, the A5 wasn't enough to convince me to switch. Will see if the S3 does it.

Now I know people are really into the "break in" period, but if one has to wait hundreds of hours to really "hear" them, it does raises questions for me. Are people really hearing a change or are they just used to the speakers at this point. It is hard for me to listen to my system and say hey 400 hours ago my speakers sounded like this or that.

Now before someone blows a blood vessel, if you can remember the difference in your setup hundreds of hours ago, that is awesome. I just can't with direct certainty.

But with all of this I'm excited to hear the S3. Maybe this will be the one that gets me into the Magico lineup.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
I have been watching this thread for a bit as my dealer has a pair of S3 due to arrive shortly. He has been trying to get me into the Magico lineup for years. I have done quite a bit of listening to the A5 and it is a nice speaker. But having lived with a Planer speakers for years, the A5 wasn't enough to convince me to switch. Will see if the S3 does it.
Only you can tell if the speaker is good for you, one mans heaven is another mans hell.
Now I know people are really into the "break in" period, but if one has to wait hundreds of hours to really "hear" them, it does raises questions for me. Are people really hearing a change or are they just used to the speakers at this point. It is hard for me to listen to my system and say hey 400 hours ago my speakers sounded like this or that.
Since this is my second Magico speakers I can tell you the break up is important stage with those speakers as most hard drivers speakers like: Tidal, Marten, Borresen, Radiho and others. most of will start nice in the first couple of hours and then degraded their performance for some time till you get to the stage they are getting better and better.

best way to aknowlage this is listen to speaker that passed the breakout time beside speaker that didn't, you'll be shocked by the differences in sound performance.
Now before someone blows a blood vessel, if you can remember the difference in your setup hundreds of hours ago, that is awesome. I just can't with direct certainty.
well, my mom died several years ago, I can still remember and if needed recognize her voice among other voices. so to your question, we all remember familiar sound and voices, this is not A, B test of unfamilier chart
But with all of this I'm excited to hear the S3. Maybe this will be the one that gets me into the Magico lineup.
Audition one, and you'll know if you like it or not.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Only you can tell if the speaker is good for you, one mans heaven is another mans hell.
Totally agree with you on this

best way to aknowlage this is listen to speaker that passed the breakout time beside speaker that didn't, you'll be shocked by the differences in sound performance.
Honestly in my opinion this would be the only way to tell. But in reality who has the ability to do this? I don't know anyone who has a pair of broken in speakers and a new pair for one to listen to. I guess one needs to go the the manufacture for this. One would be hard pressed to even find a dealer for this.

well, my mom died several years ago, I can still remember and if needed recognize her voice among other voices. so to your question, we all remember familiar sound and voices, this is not A, B test of unfamilier chart
First off sorry for your loss. To me you remembering your mom's voice doesn't fall in the same category as speaker break in. I remember my mother's voice and she passed away 30 years ago.

Audition one, and you'll know if you like it or not.
Agree 100%. Hopefully it will happen soon.

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
It has been almost two months since I received the speakers, and I estimate that I have used them for close to 300 hours. Last night, I had the pleasure of having two S3MK2 owners visit my home. Both of them use Luxman 900 pre- and amps (similar to my electronics), and both of them are very familiar with my system, meaning they have heard the S3MK2 in my room several times.

We all sat down and I let them play the music they know well. Their reactions were as follows:

(a) The new speakers have a much bigger soundstage than the previous generation.

(b) The new speakers are much more airy and detailed in the upper octaves, able to reveal more details than had been possible on the previous S3. The new model is able to do this without the cost of being a bright speaker.

(c) The mids are more detailed, perhaps a little less "sweet" than the previous model, but more coherent with the tweeter. Both of them preferred the current female and male vocals or instrument voices that the new S3 throws into space.

(d) In the lower octave (bass), the S3MK3 is more detailed and can move more air, and the sound is deeper than the S3MK2 can achieve.

In addition to all of the above, you can add that there is less box resonance (just put your hand on the older and newer S3 when playing a low octave). The new speaker is also very agile and quick.

To summarize, the new S3MK3 speakers are a significant improvement over the previous generation in terms of soundstage, detail, clarity, and bass performance. They are also more coherent and agile.

Last, I think the new model design feet and finish are beautiful and better than ever.
Your description matches what I have heard, particularly the comments regarding soundstage and air/detail. Almost like a planar speaker the way it throws a soundstage into the room; wide and tall. IMO Magico's campaign to reduce and banish distortion in ther designs is paying enormous dividends. We are all benefactors of this effort. I think other manufacturers will hear the results and follow suit.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Honestly in my opinion this would be the only way to tell. But in reality who has the ability to do this? I don't know anyone who has a pair of broken in speakers and a new pair for one to listen to. I guess one needs to go the the manufacture for this. One would be hard pressed to even find a dealer for this.
Five years ago I had the "luck" to discriminate the previous S3's on my first listening at my dealer, luckily, the day after he was getting back from a show a pair of S3's that were already several months used, so I could hear the same speaker at the same place and setup side by side ( year later I hade the same experience with Magico S1), the difference where night and day.

As mentioned, the friends who visited me also have S3MK2. one of them was bought about 4 months after I had my pair, so again I had a great reminder how pre break in S3MK2 sounds when we put my freind setup (and hearing the change of that speaker later in time).

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Nice, clean, room and setup. What is the equipment rack? I don't see any indication in your signature. Thanks...

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Five years ago I had the "luck" to discriminate the previous S3's on my first listening at my dealer, luckily, the day after he was getting back from a show a pair of S3's that were already several months used, so I could hear the same speaker at the same place and setup side by side ( year later I hade the same experience with Magico S1), the difference where night and day.

As mentioned, the friends who visited me also have S3MK2. one of them was bought about 4 months after I had my pair, so again I had a great reminder how pre break in S3MK2 sounds when we put my freind setup (and hearing the change of that speaker later in time).
I believe one can hear the difference between broken in and non broken in speakers. I just don't buy into me saying 100 hours ago my speakers sounded like this or that. Let alone 200, 300, 400 hours. I just have a hard time believing one can remember exactly what that sound was months or years ago.

I'm sure people's memory is way better than mine.

Reactions: sujay

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
I believe one can hear the difference between broken in and non broken in speakers. I just don't buy into me saying 100 hours ago my speakers sounded like this or that. Let alone 200, 300, 400 hours. I just have a hard time believing one can remember exactly what that sound was months or years ago.

I'm sure people's memory is way better than mine.
Well, I would be happy to report other, but my experience with Magico, Tidal and other speakers confirmed the need for long break-in period.

You can always check with manufacturers for break-in time, as I did.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Well, I would be happy to report other, but my experience with Magico, Tidal and other speakers confirmed the need for long break-in period.

You can always check with manufacturers for break-in time, as I did.
Again I'm not saying you don't need or can hear break in. What I am saying is I don't buy into the notion that after 200 hours of playing music on my speakers, I can remember exactly what they sounded like at 1, 100, 150 hours.

Maybe I'm the only one, maybe I'm not. If one can that is awesome. My memory just isn't that good.

Again nothing wrong with the ones who can.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing