S3 MK3 (2023) Arrived

FDPDK

May 15, 2021
Denmark
Well in regard to break in , it has nothing to do with you remembering exactly what a component sounded like. It is actually more easy to hear what is happening. An example is that i just bought an Michi S5 power amp replacing my Accuphase E-470 , the thing is that for the first 20 hours it sounded really great , then came a period where it sounded almost like if you are getting a cold , after the 40 hours mark things turned better again , better bass , the whole picture was more precise.
At least that is my experience not only with this piece.

Reactions: ctydwn and mxk116

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Well in regard to break in , it has nothing to do with you remembering exactly what a component sounded like. It is actually more easy to hear what is happening. An example is that i just bought an Michi S5 power amp replacing my Accuphase E-470 , the thing is that for the first 20 hours it sounded really great , then came a period where it sounded almost like if you are getting a cold , after the 40 hours mark things turned better again , better bass , the whole picture was more precise.
At least that is my experience not only with this piece.
Sorry but I don't agree. For me it is about remembering what something sounded like in the past and what is sounds like now. LIke I stated before, my memory isn't that good where I can state what my speakers sounded like 50, 100, etc. hours ago.

Again nothing wrong with people like yourself who remembers. I applaud those who can.

Reactions: sujay and ctydwn

owen lawlor

Jul 30, 2010
Sorry but I don't agree. For me it is about remembering what something sounded like in the past and what is sounds like now. LIke I stated before, my memory isn't that good where I can state what my speakers sounded like 50, 100, etc. hours ago.

Again nothing wrong with people like yourself who remembers. I applaud those who can.
I've owned 7 pairs of Magicos and they all take a much longer time to break in than other speakers like Wilson, etc. 150-200 minimum on the previous gen S. The new S and A midrange drivers are aluminum honeycomb so I'm not surprised by the 500 hour estimates as that material is very stiff. Magico break-in is clearly obvious - memory or no.

Reactions: ctydwn

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I've owned 7 pairs of Magicos and they all take a much longer time to break in than other speakers like Wilson, etc. 150-200 minimum on the previous gen S. The new S and A midrange drivers are aluminum honeycomb so I'm not surprised by the 500 hour estimates as that material is very stiff. Magico break-in is clearly obvious - memory or no.
If you go back and re-read my posts, I never said break-in isn't real. I said I don't see how someone can remember exactly what their gear sounded like at all of these different break-in hours.

I have asked this question over the years in multiple places. Your reply is pretty much what I always get. It seems people want to tell me break-in is real, when that isn't my question.

Reactions: ctydwn

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
If you go back and re-read my posts, I never said break-in isn't real. I said I don't see how someone can remember exactly what their gear sounded like at all of these different break-in hours.

I have asked this question over the years in multiple places. Your reply is pretty much what I always get. It seems people want to tell me break-in is real, when that isn't my question.
the easiest way, listen to two pairs of speaker on the same system, one out of the box, one after break in process, compare after how many hours they sound the same.
as mentioned previously I had the pleasure to experience this. I guess dealer’s from around the world can share their knowledge and experience as some of them have been doing this.

Last edited:
Reactions: bryans

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
So there is no confusion, the Rockport Cygnus and Avior II are two (2) different speakers. IMO neither have the speed or transparency of the Magico S3 2023. The new S3 is demonstrably superior in its ability to harvest and reveal low level information. During the listening session I attended the Rockport Cygnus was connected to the newly introduced BAT REX 500 power amp and BAT REX 3 preamp (Nordost Odin 2 cables and, IIRC, a Linn Klimax DSM network music player).
Thanks for these impressions. Yes I've heard both the Avior II and Cyngus, but with Boulder electronics and never thought they lacked speed or transparency. I am curious if you think it's possible that maybe the BAT electronics in the Rockport system and the Boulder electronics in the Magico S3 system (you mentioned on another thread) could be the difference in the speed and transparency you heard?

Further more, my previous experience with Magico speakers, even the M series, have been very impressive but cerebral, while the Rockports were more musically engaging even with more truthful electronics like Boulder. I'm curious how you felt about the emotional engagement factor with the Magico S3 paired with Boulder and if you felt they also better the Rockports in that department?

Solecky

Nov 30, 2020
Picked up my S3 2023 few days ago , traded in A5 . I hope to get them setup in the next few days .
Congrats!!!

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
Thanks for these impressions. Yes I've heard both the Avior II and Cyngus, but with Boulder electronics and never thought they lacked speed or transparency. I am curious if you think it's possible that maybe the BAT electronics in the Rockport system and the Boulder electronics in the Magico S3 system (you mentioned on another thread) could be the difference in the speed and transparency you heard?

Further more, my previous experience with Magico speakers, even the M series, have been very impressive but cerebral, while the Rockports were more musically engaging even with more truthful electronics like Boulder. I'm curious how you felt about the emotional engagement factor with the Magico S3 paired with Boulder and if you felt they also better the Rockports in that department?
My comment was only with reference to the S3 2023 demo in the same listening room and the sonic “take aways” I could use for comparison. The Cygnus is a world class speaker IMO and does some things better than the new S3, particularly from the mid bass down. And yes, the electronics certainly had an influence on sonic signature. That’s why I try to provide context with regard to the listening conditions and equipment.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Picked up my S3 2023 few days ago , traded in A5 . I hope to get them setup in the next few days .
Congrats on your new S3

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Any updates ?
I just got the S3 2023 unpacked last night and did a quick setup since it was late . I listened about 2 hrs , I will say out of the crate with no break in they are " Superior " to the A5 by a big margin. I honestly did not think the S3 2023 would be this much of a improvement.I hope to listen again later tonight . The A5 is a excellent speaker also but if one can swing it the S3 2023 is well worth the price difference.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Sorry no update having issues with preamp hope to be up and going in the next week . But so far speaker is incredibly good

Reactions: AudioGod

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I'm at my limit for stairs , old guy . I was looking at M6 but I'm going to wait till I build a first floor audio room .

Reactions: AudioGod

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Lol
I doubt I can afford the crates they come in
You don't need to worry - AudioGods get them free of charge as they are Gods ;) - just don't be modest and ask for M9

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing