Vivaldi dac and Sablon 2020 USB cable ... excited

Attachments

• D23CFB5E-377A-4787-807A-1BBAA806E25A.jpeg
    D23CFB5E-377A-4787-807A-1BBAA806E25A.jpeg
    537.9 KB · Views: 60

avtrade

Mar 18, 2021
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-27 at 09.51.40.jpeg
??????? ???????, ????, ?? ??????????? ?????? ?????? RJ / Ethernet ?????? 1,5 ?.
??????? ???? ? ???????. ?????? ??????????? ?? ???? - ??? ????????.
?? ????????? ? Audioquest Diamond RJ / Ethernet. SABLON ?? ??????? ??? ??????.
????????.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sablon Audio

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Thanks Vlad and glad you’re enjoying. Full bass dynamics will take @250hrs to develop so you should still see some further improvement.

avtrade

Mar 18, 2021
Last edited:

kerisabe

May 23, 2020
Jakarta, Indonesia.
The difference between the wireworld red cat8 cable and Mark's latest ethernet is night and day for a music lover like myself. When the sablon 2020 ethernet was replaced by the red wireworld, the soul was taken away, the fluidity, the chewyness of the sound all gone. The music is not engaging emotionally anymore wow! And it wasnt suppose to be the influential part of the upnp setup.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
@kerisabe, nothing imminent and the 2020 model will continue unchanged.

The backstory here is that I spent some time in early summer evaluating more alternative wires without besting the existing one. I therefore took a different approach and tried something pretty unorthodox on the 2020 model which gave some substantial gains. Noisefloor fell noticeably, with stronger dynamics and more tonal texture. System was sounding @1/3 better overall and more enjoyable.

it is however quite a fiddly / time consuming build and doesn’t appear to give any worthwhile gains in advanced network installations (eg those with multiple switches / fibre etc) so I’m rather sitting on the fence just now about what to do.

When I get fed up of the splinters, then I may extend beta testing and test against the market leading options before forming a decision. It is not however likely to replace the existing model but may become an evolutionary option, with upgrade opportunities for existing 2020 owners. This is something which I like to offer my customers wherever possible.

Reactions: kerisabe

TwinPeak

Sep 8, 2020
Yesterday, I routinely sat in front of the stereo and flew almost backwards in the chair! Since I received another 1 meter Sablon 2020 ethernet cable, I havn't changed anything in my system and I think what I heard was the final "breakthrough" – after approximately 200 hours burn in of the Sablon cable.

All previously annoying digital noise, especially in the upper frequency range – the range for cymbals and S, ST and SH sibilance sounds on female voices – was gone! The dynamics are incredible, and the full powerful effect of two etherRegen's connected with Sablon 2020 LAN cables to opticalModule and opticalRendu is finally a reality.

I didn't have the experience that the improvement came gradually, but right out of the blue. What a Christmas present!

My SetUp 2021-v34.jpg
Thank you so much for the wonderful cables Mark!

Last edited:

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
Yesterday, I routinely sat in front of the stereo and flew almost backwards in the chair! Since I received another 1 meter Sablon 2020 ethernet cable, I havn't changed anything in my system and I think what I heard was the final "breakthrough" – after approximately 200 hours burn in of the Sablon cable.

All previously annoying digital noise, especially in the upper frequency range – the range for cymbals and S, ST and SH sibilance sounds on female voices – was gone! The dynamics are incredible, and the full powerful effect of two etherRegen's connected with Sablon 2020 LAN cables to opticalModule and opticalRendu is finally a reality.

I didn't have the experience that the improvement came gradually, but right out of the blue. What a Christmas present!

View attachment 86564
Thank you so much for the wonderful cables Mark!
Today I received my Sablon ethernet cable and inserted into my Network Acoustics ENO going to my server. Even though not broken in the depth, naturalness and coherence of the sound was better than my WW Starlight Platinum. I inserted my WW back just to make sure and again it was immediately apparent I prefer the Sablon.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
today i received my 1.5m Sablon 2020 ethernet cable for my Wadax Ref Server and Nordost QNET switch. very impressed! it's a winner!

thanks Mark!

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
@markramler & @Mike Lavigne - thanks to both of you for sharing your positive first impressions. I should manage expectations a little here in that this design does need a full 250hrs to achieve full dynamics and the path in getting there is somewhat rocky. Best leave it playing on repeat for the forthcoming days to make that time pass quicker.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctydwn

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
As I’m getting a few questions regularly being asked, mostly on the ethernet cables, I thought it might be helpful to put the answers together in one post.

Is your cable shielded?
Yes it has multiple shields, which runs contrary to my usual preference but appears beneficial in the context of ethernet signals. However, these shields are isolated from the metal plug shells to prevent the transmission of electrical noise between the two pieces of equipment which can give rise to scratchy / irritating high frequencies. Nb some other cables may have the twisted pairs wrapped in aluminium foil - this should also be classified as shielding, not just outer perimeter braided screens.

Does your cable need burning in?
Yes, just like every component my cables need time to properly burn in for best performance. I typically use larger conductors than other brands, which will further benefit from extended usage. Unlike most of my products which follow a benign pattern whilst burning in, the ethernet cable has a more jagged evolution and will need @250hrs for full bass dynamics. That’s 250 hours of actual playing time btw, not just sitting there resting.

What changes can I expect between x and y hours?
I honestly couldn’t tell you as this isn’t something I track. I listen on day one for immediately evident improvements and then leave the cable on repeat to burn in over several days. Why try to chart something transient which will soon get left behind?

Is there an optimal length for ethernet cables?
This isn’t an issue for most people as the cat specs are determined over sizeable lengths (30-100m). Short enough to reach without any aggressive bends would be my advice.

When is the Evo ethernet coming?
I don’t have any plans to introduce an Evo ethernet. The prototype I made last summer gave some great results in simple network installations but none in an advanced network set-up. As this design is rather fiddly / time-consuming to make, I wouldn’t be able to cope with potentially having several hundred existing owners asking to be upgraded and I will leave this prototype to gather dust. Imo the existing 2020 cable hits a sweet spot for many in terms of price/performance ratio.

Does Mike L have an Evo ethernet cable?
No, he has the regular 2020 model. I didn’t slip him an enhanced one on the quiet.

Do you have an upgrade program?
I try to offer my customers an upgrade path if technically and commercially viable. The Evo ethernet idea discussed above could have fallen into this category but the Evo USB didn’t as it was based on a completely different wire and the plugs have negligible value.

Last edited:

mtcs

Sep 24, 2017
I got my new Ethernet 2020 a coupe of weeks ago and replaced a Supra Cat 8. There was an immediate and significant improvement in tonality, space and coherence. It also seems more open than the SoTM DCBL-cat 7 I have. This is a great product and a great value. Thanks, Mark.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my 2020 Ethernet cable is now fully broken in with my Wadax set-up and the Nordost switch. after i had it in system for about 3 weeks, i was asked to try a multiple higher priced Ethernet cable alternative; which i did for 6 weeks. i did like it; maybe more highlighted and up front than the Sablon. but when i returned to the Sablon 2020 it was significantly more synergistic with my system. returned the other one. i appreciate the 2020's open window feeling, slightly more agile, more vivid and texturally and timbrally more interesting. with more weight and space. sexier. refined and involving.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
@mtcs , @Mike Lavigne - glad you are both enjoying and thanks for taking the trouble to share your thoughts. Whilst I don’t necessarily consider this to be the most compelling model within my Sablon range, it certainly offers a well balanced performance at an attractive price point and has made a positive impact for several hundred users.

Reactions: rgmd11

Nirvana

Apr 21, 2022
Got my Sablon 2020 few days ago and it turned out it is the missing link!

I have pretty non-conformist audio system, using also Cardas Clear Network, Sotm dcbl 6 and Curious Cables Network all in the same chain, and Sablon 2020 is the last one in the chain which makes music to a party. Or magic.

I use 2 OXCO switches, and Emosafe isolators. a NOS DAC and 12 year old class T amp for 200$. It makes a magic system, i also have a lot of going on in the background with converters and special power supplies (a device is what power supply makes it), so now with Sablon it sounds like real music.
I listen a lot to Dub Techno, Psy Chill, some ambient and jazz, stream Charles Webster from OpenLab radio and DJ Medicineman No Mans Land on Soundcloud. With Sablon everything sounds more live with more bite, trippy ambient world music sounds also more magic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing