Sablon power cords

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The Prince has a fuse inside?

Can someone explain the Palladium over silver? Is that an extra layer of plating?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Can someone explain the Palladium over silver? Is that an extra layer of plating?

Last edited:
Reactions: dminches

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congrats, Mike. A big fan and owner of multiple Sablon Princes (we cannot use King owning to the plug inlet part not being designed/made by Bocchino). Have not tried Palladium though have spoken with Mark Coles about them.

Enjoy! Will be interesting to see if this decision leads to more Sablon Kings. For us, after owning PAD 25th for many many years...we did the wholesale change after years of trying various cables including interim Sablons. The Prince (SR Orange fuse inside) was the one that made the definitive move for us.
i'll likely try the Prince and King together on the Wadax Reference Dac twin power supplies to see the delta there on the Sablon relative to the Absolute Fidelity.

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Me of course also ordered a palladium Prince (being in Europe) if that wasn't clear from my testimonial above... ;)

@Mike Lavigne and @LL21 if this is your first Sablon experience, I would really encourage you to also try the interconnects and speaker cables in the new "Evo" model. Very rewarding imho.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Prince has a fuse inside?

Prince UK has a fuse because UK plugs have a fuse directly in the plug itself that goes into the wall.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I’m liking the Palladium and am glad you guys are too!

To answer @dminches question, it is a secondary coating of palladium over the ‘softer’ silver one. Sonically it gives a nice balance of the virtues of both the previous silver only and platinum over silver finishes, combining the density and musical engagement of the former along with the better definition / nuance / transparency of the platinum.

As it’s such a great allrounder, this is now my standard configuration on both Prince and King Sablon models and the good news is that the list price will remain unchanged. I will need to work out some arrangements for a retrofit service for existing owners.

Demo Palladium Prince models are currently available in both USA and EU (presently Sweden). Although I don’t circulate the King model on account of the placement challanges of its huge Bocchino ac plug, I should mention that this model only comes in USA plug format.

Last edited:

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...you know it's big, but nothing prepares you for the physicality of actually plugging that thing in when you get it.

• Wow
Reactions: ICUToo

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Hi Mike, this King cord was barely a twinkle in my somewhat bleary eye when I returned home from Lisbon at midnight on Saturday.

The Sablon elves made it on Sunday, ready for Fedex to magic it to you 5000 miles away within two days. They used to manage next day into west coast but, like many things in life, things aren’t what they used to be.

Burn in is pretty benign - it will start waking up after a day or so and then progressively intensify over the following week. I look forward to your thoughts on its evolution.

My personal feeling is that it is more similar than different to the Prince model in voicing but brings greater liquidity / natural tonal ease / transparency, in a similar fashion to an organic sun ripened fruit compared to a regular one.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike, this King cord was barely a twinkle in my somewhat bleary eye when I returned home from Lisbon at midnight on Saturday.

The Sablon elves made it on Sunday, ready for Fedex to magic it to you 5000 miles away within two days. They used to manage next day into west coast but, like many things in life, things aren’t what they used to be.

Burn in is pretty benign - it will start waking up after a day or so and then progressively intensify over the following week. I look forward to your thoughts on its evolution.

My personal feeling is that it is more similar than different to the Prince model in voicing but brings greater liquidity / natural tonal ease / transparency, in a similar fashion to an organic sun ripened fruit compared to a regular one.
hi Mark, figured as much but did not know the details. thanks for the perspective on how it should go. so far it's just a bit 'more'....if a little uneven maybe this morning briefly.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

vert

Oct 26, 2015
I have tried both the Sablon King with Bocchinos and a Pranawire Cosmos with Bocchinos.

There is a house Bocchino sound.

It's a big, clean, effortless sound. Unmistakable really.

It's unbelievable how much of an effect the plugs have.

Everyone should listen to it, to see if it's their cup of tea.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
@vert - thanks for sharing. The presentation will also vary according to the final plating used.

Fwiw Bocchino has recently standardised palladium over silver and that gives a nice blend of the qualities of the earlier platinum and silver coatings, which I feel has wider spread compatibility. My demo cords have been updated accordingly. I will however continue to offer the option of silver plating which I feel works best on Taiko Extreme / TT7 conditioners / CHP amps.

Afaik Pranawire uses gold plating though @Joe Cohen can confirm. Ultimately there is also a seasoning aspect with the wire / geometry used.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Penultimate Sablon purchase, a Prince has been running on my CDP for a few weeks now, decided on platinum option. Coincided with my newly modded amps incl quad of newly-biased 211s, so I didn't want to report prematurely.
Another home run from Mark. I've always loved my Eera CDP, presses so many buttons for this primarily vinyl lover, but it's always responded to Sablon TLC lol. And yet again.
As my whole system has come along with recent room treatments, elimination of my balanced transformer noise, and rejuvenation of my tube amps with quiet and tonally colorful preamp tubes and wholly improved AN caps and GE 211s, the platinum Prince Sablon has revealed another layer of tonality, delicacy and transparency off my CDs.
Final remaining Sablon change is gonna be a silver Prince to my TT motor, in a few months.

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Mark, In the OP, you wrote:
“The linear presentation works very well with tube and warmer sounding solid state gear.” (Reserva Elite)
“Those with vinyl and tube based systems may care to consider selecting the platinum plated Bocchino iec, which gives yet more transparency with a similar linear voicing to the Elite model.” (Prince)

Do you mean that the platinum plated plug helps keep the warmer sound of the associated gear? What do you mean by linear voicing?

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Those quotes are now rather old and I have only sold the Bocchino terminated Prince and King for quite some time. Furthermore Bocchino have standardised palladium (over silver) plating a year ago. Little point in looking at the past, so I’ll restrict my comments to the present

The silver plated Bocchino iec gave a dense midrange oriented presentation whereas the (now no longer offered) platinum was comparatively even across the frequency range, with better detail and clearer transients. The current palladium coating falls between the two stylistically and has a wider range of compatibility. I still however offer the silver plated iec to order, predominantly for Taiko Extreme owners.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, my few months for another Sablon change took a little longer...cost of living crisis, those pesky utility bills etc.
Just installed a Silver Prince to the Bocchino powering my Straingauge cartridge energizer LPS, I know have a mix of Silver and Platinum on all my power cords, save for "mere" unadorned Bocchinos on my Zu sub amps.
I was going to leave comments for a few days, but the change is so positive and uplifting, here I am online.
I'm listening to one of my fave albums, Eric Dolphy/Magic, and there's a tangible increase in density, texture and energy, real definition in the bass, yet all the air and transients are maintained, no thickening or clouding of the sound.
I've really detected real differences btwn platinum and silver, optimal distribution around my system has really paid off.
I've worked really hard on my journey on the TT side, and this Silver Prince to Straingauge cart system is right up there.
In summary, all my Sablon purchases have pushed me to great tonal density and bloom, while maintaining a really sweet top end and great air in the sound. A critical part of my being so happy where my finally evolving sound has landed.

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Those quotes are now rather old and I have only sold the Bocchino terminated Prince and King for quite some time. Furthermore Bocchino have standardised palladium (over silver) plating a year ago. Little point in looking at the past, so I’ll restrict my comments to the present

The silver plated Bocchino iec gave a dense midrange oriented presentation whereas the (now no longer offered) platinum was comparatively even across the frequency range, with better detail and clearer transients. The current palladium coating falls between the two stylistically and has a wider range of compatibility. I still however offer the silver plated iec to order, predominantly for Taiko Extreme owners.

Mark, assuming that you've heard what the QSA treatment does to the Prince, how would compare its tonality to your version? While I use and very much appreciate the effects of the QSA fuses (red, red/black), I've found the Beldin/Iconoclast based version (Gamma) to be on the dry side.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Mark, assuming that you've heard what the QSA treatment does to the Prince, how would compare its tonality to your version? While I use and very much appreciate the effects of the QSA fuses (red, red/black), I've found the Beldin/Iconoclast based version (Gamma) to be on the dry side.

I find the QSA treatment to impart a greater tonal density in the presentation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing