SCAudiophile Appointed as a Moderator

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Personally I don't see the need for more moderation, rather than less, as a good thing, but I can understand owners not wanting to do it. I will encourage owners to be more encouraging of positive contributions to the forum and more discouraging of snippy, divisive comments. WBF will be better with more positive contributions, not because of more moderation.

Yet since you don't have a horn speaker system and don't post videos you are not qualified...

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
A Man of many talents! Great choice.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
And a man that remembers everything! Some of us call him Wiki Mark!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Mark. Please allow me to also welcome you to the team! Glad to have you with us. I'm looking forward to meeting up with you soon. Should be a blast (with some incredible musical selections thrown into the mix).

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Tom

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
As Jerry Seinfeld once quipped, no matter how terrible the job, there are people who will actively choose it.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Mark, will your first big move be to ban me?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mark, will your first big move be to ban me?
I'm requesting that of him right now, Rex. Welcome aboard Mark, from Marc. Good doing business with you lol.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I think I'm mad at Mark. I was on the phone with him 2 days ago and not a squeak about the new position. I have to read it in the Sunday paper like everyone else.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As a point of clarification we agree that we don’t need more moderators however we do need the presence of “a” moderator throughout the day and it became impossible as people work. So even though we added Mark, the moderator presence will be no different than before Hope that helps. We all agree that less moderation is best. We are merely ensuring that someone is present throughout any given day. Nothing more There are other necessary daily tasks such as cleaning spammers who have joined. Every new member is vetted before granting membership You must admit that we have little if any spam in our site due to daily moderation tasks. So let’s all take a deep breath because there is nothing adverse other than occasional reported posts and dust ups where we had no moderator presence to deal with it. Frankly I agree that there are only a few times each month where there is need for moderator intervention.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Congratulations Mark.

Was looking forward to seeing you at Munich next week, so you are not coming now?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
A welcome addition IMHO, although it's a bit sad that much of the posting behavior here suggests a need for additional moderating. With so much potentially valuable knowledge and experience present in the membership here it is unfortunate that a relatively small group of frequent posters persist in disrespectful, discourteous and borderline rude, insulting posts.

SCAudiophile participates in other forums where there is a more friendly, accepting and encouraging "vibe", even when there are strong disagreements present, so I wish him the best of luck here. Not a job I would wish on anyone.
I know what you mean! Like the guy who barely joins this forum and thinks that he’s so entitled, to rag on long term members who’s contributions built this forum and demand they be muzzled!

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Personally I don't see the need for more moderation, rather than less, as a good thing, but I can understand owners not wanting to do it. I will encourage owners to be more encouraging of positive contributions to the forum and more discouraging of snippy, divisive comments. WBF will be better with more positive contributions, not because of more moderation.

I completely agree, Tim. We do not need more moderation and I am glad to read from Steve that we will not be getting it.

Is this post below an example encouraging more positive contributions that will make WBF a better place to discuss all things related to audio?

A welcome addition IMHO, although it's a bit sad that much of the posting behavior here suggests a need for additional moderating. With so much potentially valuable knowledge and experience present in the membership here it is unfortunate that a relatively small group of frequent posters persist in disrespectful, discourteous and borderline rude, insulting posts.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
As a point of clarification we agree that we don’t need more moderators however we do need the presence of “a” moderator throughout the day and it became impossible as people work. So even though we added Mark, the moderator presence will be no different than before Hope that helps. We all agree that less moderation is best. We are merely ensuring that someone is present throughout any given day. Nothing more There are other necessary daily tasks such as cleaning spammers who have joined. Every new member is vetted before granting membership You must admit that we have little if any spam in our site due to daily moderation tasks. So let’s all take a deep breath because there is nothing adverse other than occasional reported posts and dust ups where we had no moderator presence to deal with it. Frankly I agree that there are only a few times each month where there is need for moderator intervention.

Thanks for that follow-up, Steve. Your remarks are helpful and clarifying. What I read from you reflects, imo, further dedication to a top rank technical and social infrastructure that allows WBF to operate 24/7, 365 - with a light touch. That does not happen unless someone causes it to happen; we recognize the ongoing effort from yourself and Ron.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Thank you all once again for the good wishes and positive thoughts....have a great weekend!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Personally, I hope that any forum would run with mutual respect and camaraderie fueled by mutual love for audio and music and there would be little need for moderation at all, so I agree with you there. I am honored by the request to help out and am glad to help if and when necessary.

As an aside, the comment that was cited as being divisive and snippy was missing the emoji that made it clear in the original
that it was a good bit of humor.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Personally, I hope that any forum would run with mutual respect and camaraderie fueled by mutual love for audio and music and there would be little need for moderation at all, so I agree with you there. I am honored by the request to help out and am glad to help if and when necessary.

As an aside, the comment that was cited as being divisive and snippy was missing the emoji that made it clear in the original
that it was a good bit of humor.

I think you are being naive. A snotty comment appended with a smilie is still a snotty comment.

We'll get a sense of your judgement going forward. This is not AA.

Reactions: PeterA

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
I think you are being naive. A snotty comment appended with a smilie is still a snotty comment.

We'll get a sense of your judgement going forward. This is not AA.
Far from naive,....some things are not worth the battle.

I've been here 11+ years, I am very much aware this is not AA and am aware of the surroundings.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing