Seeking SPU tonearm advice

Petrat

Apr 17, 2019
UK
That's actually my advert, so anyone interested can message me on this forum too.

westlower

May 29, 2019
That's actually my advert, so anyone interested can message me on this forum too.
Ooh! I didn't know you were there in the shadows sir!

Cracking Tonearm, simply perfect with the SPU.
It shouldn't hang around.

McDee275

Nov 4, 2021
Germany
Poor Glanz :oops:, please accept my deepest sympathy.
If your Glanz MH-104S urinates as you mentioned above, would it not be better to slip some pampers over it to prevent it from leaking?
Or did I misunderstood you? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Don_Camillo

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
Hmm, I have to say, imho, the Glanz MH-104S
urinates all over the Groovemaster with an SPU. It's a terrific combination!
Very true, but the Law of Diminishing Returns applies here, and the Glanz is not four times as good as a GrooveMaster with SPUs! For someone whose pockets are not deep enough to afford a Glanz, a GrooveMaster is a wonderful alternative.

westlower

May 29, 2019
Very true, but the Law of Diminishing Returns applies here, and the Glanz is not four times as good as a GrooveMaster with SPUs! For someone whose pockets are not deep enough to afford a Glanz, a GrooveMaster is a wonderful alternative
If one purchases wisely and purchases minty used, the Glanz is ($4565) which is not as you say, 4 times the Groovemaster ($2,915.00 - $3,205.00) is it worth the extra $1360? ....I think so.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur and bonzo75

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
But if you use the short SPU A types, there is no much modern alternatives to Groovemaster and Schick. If there would be a Glanz 1200 for SPU A, I would immediately buy one.

russtafarian

Jul 11, 2012
I have a SPU Classic GE MkII on a Jelco 12" TK-950L. I use the SUTs built into the EAR 868 phono stage.

This is my first SPU experience and I absolutely love it! Well worth the cost and effort to hunt down and install this arm/cart combination.

Turntable SPU2.jpg

Reactions: Folsom and McDee275

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
If one purchases wisely and purchases minty used, the Glanz is ($4565) which is not as you say, 4 times the Groovemaster ($2,915.00 - $3,205.00) is it worth the extra $1360? ....I think so.
Here in the UK, a new GrooveMaster III is up to £2k depending on length, and a new Glanz MH-900/1000/1200S is £7k. Both are freshly revised tonearms, but of course older versions are available on the used market for less, and still worth seeking out.

For someone prepared to spend what a Glanz costs, the sound and musical quality benefits over a GrooveMaster are obvious and delightful, but in isolation I doubt anyone would be dissatisfied by a GrooveMaster, but a nervous audiophile hearing the Glanz will then want it.

McDee275

Nov 4, 2021
Germany
In general, I kow, the Glanz tonearms match well with most of the Ortofon SPU. But only with most of them, not all!

My Ortofon SPU A cartridges ask for a tonearm of a specific lenght.

Do Masataka Hamada and his company produce tonearms to match a SPU A?

@westlower , I think you missed this point. But OK, at the time reading #17, maybe you was to much disturbed by catching some liquids leaking from your Glanz.:rolleyes: Understandable

westlower

May 29, 2019
In general, I kow, the Glanz tonearms match well with most of the Ortofon SPU. But only with most of them, not all!

My Ortofon SPU A cartridges ask for a tonearm of a specific lenght.

@westlower , I think you missed this point. But OK, at the time reading #17, maybe you was to much disturbed by catching some liquids leaking from your Glanz.:rolleyes: Understandable
Point taken about the SPU A , but i think the original post wasn't really referring to the A type?

I don't have a Glanz, but I have heard one on numerous lengthy sessions with and without SPUs (not an A!)....
the original comment about the Glanz pissing on the Groovemaster was made light heartily but as said, i'd rather spend the extra on a used Glanz example than a new Groovemaster. I have had a Groovemaster and it's ok and does a fine job, but SQ, fit and finish on the Glanz is in a totally different league and the new rrp tells us that. But I was suggesting second hand.

Actually, for SPU duties, I use a very versatile SME M2-9R which is a fantastic match with an SPU and indeed the Miyajima Infinity Mono, which is a beast (and beauty) of a cartridge.
With the right cable this SME M2-9R is just Incredible, at this or any price point. Mik will vouch for that and that's a BIG recommendation!

Reactions: McDee275

westlower

May 29, 2019
Excuse my ignorance regarding the A type SPU, but does the available adapter for the A type not bring it in line with the regular alignment of the classic SPUs? or do they simply not line up

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
...With the right cable this SME M2-9R is just Incredible, at this or any price point. Mik will vouch for that and that's a BIG recommendation!
Care to share your experience with 'the right cable'? Since you mention Mik are we in LFD territory ;) ?

McDee275

Nov 4, 2021
Germany
Excuse my ignorance regarding the A type SPU, but does the available adapter for the A type not bring it in line with the regular alignment of the classic SPUs? or do they simply not line up
As you say, there is the APJ-1 adapter from Ortofon available to bring a normal arm to the, for the A, required lenght.

I used the adaptor together on my Schick 9.6 together with a SPU Wood A. It worked quite well and the Schick could handle the additional mass too.
20210128_151207 kl (3).jpg
Some people say, the adapter has a negative influence on the sound. But without the possibility to compare similar setups with and without adaptor, I cannot confirm this. Therefore I ignored it.

BTW, congratulation having the possibility to hear the "beast" of Miyajima ;)

Reactions: Argonaut

westlower

May 29, 2019
Care to share your experience with 'the right cable'? Since you mention Mik are we in LFD territory ;) ?
Indeed the LFD cable family in my system have made an astonishing difference to the presentation, actually a greater leap to what I wanted to hear from my equipment than any Tonearm or component change, it was that big. It did make me rethink the whole merry go round of Tonearm and box 'upgrade'. The realisation that my attention was on the wrong things was a bit sobering. I use an LFD Silver Scorpion on my SME Tonearm and the justifiably much talked about LFD Diamond Viper between Power and Pre. But this is now way off topic, apologies to the OP

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
No problem. Started with a Schick tonearm for SPUs because I have to keep a lid on spending - I also purchased several other tonearms (4point, Schroeder CB-L) for my MC carts. After the dust settles, I may choose to upgrade my SPU tonearm.

Don_Camillo

Jun 26, 2022
Vienna
tempo333.blogspot.com
I don't have a Glanz, but I have heard one on numerous lengthy sessions with and without SPUs (not an A!)....
the original comment about the Glanz pissing on the Groovemaster was made light heartily but as said, i'd rather spend the extra on a used Glanz example than a new Groovemaster. I have had a Groovemaster and it's ok and does a fine job, but SQ, fit and finish on the Glanz is in a totally different league and the new rrp tells us that. But I was suggesting second hand
Hmm besides optics the real difference is with the materials used. The Glanz uses stainless steel what makes a very special sound. Nevertheless it´s an antique design lacking the more modern and technical beeing worth elements that a FR-64s or FR-66s will provide - applying the tracking force dynamically.

Thus I´d rather go for a FR-64s and save over 2 grands for some record shopping ;)

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
Hmm besides optics the real difference is with the materials used. The Glanz uses stainless steel what makes a very special sound. Nevertheless it´s an antique design lacking the more modern and technical beeing worth elements that a FR-64s or FR-66s will provide - applying the tracking force dynamically.

Thus I´d rather go for a FR-64s and save over 2 grands for some record shopping ;)
There is a quite widespread school of thought that says the FR-64S (and its related brethren) sound better if the dynamic downforce is dialled out, and instead static downforce applied by the counterweight alone.

Don_Camillo

Jun 26, 2022
Vienna
tempo333.blogspot.com
There is a quite widespread school of thought that says the FR-64S (and its related brethren) sound better if the dynamic downforce is dialled out, and instead static downforce applied by the counterweight alone.
I know about those fairy tales. But did you try it out yourself? I did and this saying isn´t true

P.S.: I also tried this with Micro Seiki MA-505 and Linn Ittok LV II. Same result here; it´s a fairy tale and not true at all :cool: :p

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing