Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Repeat

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@cal3713
I'm glad you have such a successful outcome with the First Watt F4 driving your Coincident PREs. This illustrates to me how different that speaker is compared to my older Coincident Total Eclipse II speakers (94 db and 14 0hm impedance). Seems my older design speaker requires less amplifier damping factor and tolerates (Prefers?) amplifier with higher output impedance.

A few years ago, someone loaned me their Nelson Pass designed D.I.Y. First Watt S.I.T.2 (Push pull version with 35 watts). It was very good sounding with my speakers but in direct head to head, the 8 watt 300b Frankenstein was more pure, holistic, slightly more emotionally engaging and alive sounding. However, no doubt a different First Watt model from your F4 and dissimilar circumstances.

Most probably influenced by our different Coincident speakers being the bigger and more impactful change. The older Eclipse series just are an easier impedance load to drive relative to your excellent PREs. 13 years with the Frankenstein MK II SET and I appreciate and love it more than ever. Cal, what preamp are you using with the F4 mono blocks? You have obviously found your long-term happy pairing of amp/speakers.
Charles

Reactions: cal3713

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
@cal3713
I'm glad you have such a successful outcome with the First Watt F4 driving your Coincident PREs. This illustrates to me how different that speaker is compared to my older Coincident Total Eclipse II speakers (94 db and 14 0hm impedance). Seems my older design speaker requires less amplifier damping factor and tolerates (Prefers?) amplifier with higher output impedance.

A few years ago, someone loaned me their Nelson Pass designed D.I.Y. First Watt S.I.T.2 (Push pull version with 35 watts). It was very good sounding with my speakers but in direct head to head, the 8 watt 300b Frankenstein was more pure, holistic, slightly more emotionally engaging and alive sounding. However, no doubt a different First Watt model from your F4 and dissimilar circumstances.

Most probably influenced by our different Coincident speakers being the bigger and more impactful change. The older Eclipse series just are an easier impedance load to drive relative to your excellent PREs. 13 years with the Frankenstein MK II SET and I appreciate and love it more than ever. Cal, what preamp are you using with the F4 mono blocks? You have obviously found your long-term happy pairing of amp/speakers.
Charles
Exactly right Charles. The PREs just aren't nearly as efficient as the Eclipse models. When I had Coincident Super Eclipse IIIs, the Coincident Frankenstein 300bs easily outperformed a SIT2 in my room as well. That said, I built a Nelson Pass approved SIT3 circuit designed by ZenMod over at DIYAudio/PassLabs and still liked the F4s better (as I did when comparing it to a commercial XA25). I'm curious what the F4 would have sounded like on the SEIIIs too... but like you, I believe the Coincident 300bs are a match made in heaven for that series. I would never have changed if I hadn't gotten the PREs.

As for my preamp... (and a repeat from earlier in the thread) I had it custom built by Radu Tarta. It's a minimal part single-stage/single-tube DHT amplification circuit built on the EML 20A (mesh) with amorphous core output transformers and an external power supply. I was happy enough with the initial unit that I had him build a second power supply so that each channel is powered independently. If you'd like to read more, you can read about the build here (scroll down a bit): https://simplepleasuretubeamps.com/2020/12/30/shiny-eyes-eml20a-preamplifier/

In the end the pairing with the F4 works exactly like some of the hybrid amps out there. All voltage gain comes from the 20A DHTs and then the F4 provides only current gain in a pure class A non-feedback, direct-coupled design. Of course while the hybrid amps probably have one power supply transformer, I ended up with six (one per power supply rail in each F4 monoblock, and then one per channel in the preamp). The nice thing about building myself was that I was able to hear the improvements in the F4 as I went from a single transformer stereo design to dual mono to dual mono with independent transformers for each half of the power supply. Each time there was an audible reduction in distortion.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@cal3713
Another Audiogon member has ordered the Radu Tarta and he is very excited and understandably so. I trust your ears and judgement so I have no doubt it is a fabulous Line stage. You have done a lot with your audio system and I'm convinced your sound quality is sublime. Thanks for providing the link. I will read and learn more about this special component.
Charles

Reactions: cal3713

Joao@altheamusica

Sep 20, 2010
Dennis Had has been designing SET amplifiers for 30+ years, so I assume he knows a thing or two about them.
This does not solve the prblem of the amps.... the caps are too high and the rectifiers failed, even the CV371. I owned such an amp and I know what I'm writing of. Lokk at the tube data sheets of the rectifiers and than compare the max. cap value in cap-input mode (firrst cap directly at the tube rectifier) with the caps used from him in the amps.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi! Audio Note Quest Silver 300b amps, Yamamoto A08s 45 tube amp, DIY open baffle speakers with Supravox Field Coil bass drivers, Zingali Horn tweeters.

Hi it shows your video as unavailable

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
CDB10FDE-1F03-41A6-968F-DD876E1AA031.jpeg 76D8F89B-CA0E-4602-A2AE-85688D5FB362.jpeg

The audionec. Great speakers, require more than 10 watts so 45 types don't work. The Silvercore 205 amp is 18 and sounded great. Also first listen of horizon. The amp looks great due to the copper which changes color as gets oxidized with touch

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also audionec compared on audio detail 211, Tatic 2a3 and Tatic 801 amp. The 801 was similar to 211 on neutrality and tone but at 4 watts and less drive lacked the headroom of the 211. I like most audio detail products including the 101d preamp.

This shootout was done at Lucas of LDMS' place. Highly musical and enjoyable. I will do a write up on audionec at some point, having heard it at Anamighty too with Thrax hybrid.

C42CEA06-6D68-4428-919B-7CC44CCA4452.jpeg

Joe55ag

May 17, 2022
Hi,
Roon Nucleus in my office to Bryston BDP1 to AMR DP-777 Tube DAC w Volume control to the amplifier section of the Line Magnetic DP 845 Premium, Nordost cabling to Avantgarde Unos.

1 dedicated 10 ga. 20 amp line, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata power cables, and 2 digital \ optical converters w/ 3 meters of optical cable to isolate the last 6 inch ethernet cable going into the system.

Setup is per Jim Smith"s methods.
Finest sound I have had in my 45 audiophile years.

Thx, JG

IMG_20220807_201645860.jpg

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
I will do a write up on audionec at some point, having heard it at Anamighty too with Thrax hybrid.
Hi!

I didn't expect to find AudioNec here in the SE thread!

I have also heard them before. At that time I think they were driven by a CH Precision I 1. The source was a digital combo from APL. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to compare the speakers with others. Very unfortunate, because there were also Diesis Audio Roma Triode in the room. But I only stopped by briefly on a tour and hadn't planned well. Unfortunately.

In any case, I liked the AudioNec very much. I didn't really miss anything. It may be that the final push, the attack, was missing, but it was the rather small EVO 2 model that you also show in your photos, and the room was quite large. I would tend towards double basses anyway ;) In any case, what I liked very much was a high degree of naturalness and also "presence"; I was definitely very positively surprised by the latter.

But as I mentioned, it wasn't an extensive listening session, more a quick listen after a long drive and therefore not representative. Therefore, I am very curious about your report!

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi!

I didn't expect to find AudioNec here in the SE thread!

I have also heard them before. At that time I think they were driven by a CH Precision I 1. The source was a digital combo from APL. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to compare the speakers with others. Very unfortunate, because there were also Diesis Audio Roma Triode in the room. But I only stopped by briefly on a tour and hadn't planned well. Unfortunately.

In any case, I liked the AudioNec very much. I didn't really miss anything. It may be that the final push, the attack, was missing, but it was the rather small EVO 2 model that you also show in your photos, and the room was quite large. I would tend towards double basses anyway ;) In any case, what I liked very much was a high degree of naturalness and also "presence"; I was definitely very positively surprised by the latter.

But as I mentioned, it wasn't an extensive listening session, more a quick listen after a long drive and therefore not representative. Therefore, I am very curious about your report!

they are very good final speakers for most rooms given they disappear like well set up electrostats and just play the recording. Excellent for living rooms too. Use with powerful triodes imo but other amps might surprise too, haven’t tried OTL.

yes they can be bettered by all out speakers or very good rooms but that is rare.

strengths are in the mid and high range and coherence of single driver for most of the range. Compromise of woofer is well managed. Very good at nuance with very low noise for allowing music to flow out at low volumes

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing