SET amp owners thread

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi everyone

Brand new member on this forum from England. Thought I'd introduce myself, committed SET user, Tron PX25 amp, Avantgarde Trio's, REL 212SE's. Im not sure how to add my equipment into the bottom of my profile yet but I'll get there. Anyway, looking to learn a lot from all the knowledgeable people here!
Happy to answer any questions.

Regards

Chop View attachment 70314 View attachment 70315

Welcome Chop. Love the system!!

Reactions: Chop

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi everyone

Brand new member on this forum from England. Thought I'd introduce myself, committed SET user, Tron PX25 amp, Avantgarde Trio's, REL 212SE's. Im not sure how to add my equipment into the bottom of my profile yet but I'll get there. Anyway, looking to learn a lot from all the knowledgeable people here!
Happy to answer any questions.

Regards

Chop View attachment 70314 View attachment 70315

Have you tried the big horn loaded AG subs with the trios? I wondered how the Rels worked with the speed of the trio - do you use dsp on the subs at all?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Have you tried the big horn loaded AG subs with the trios? I wondered how the Rels worked with the speed of the trio - do you use dsp on the subs at all?

I see a Verdier and possibly a Garrard. How do you like those two and what carts are you using. Assume a Tron Seven phono?

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
I see a Verdier and possibly a Garrard. How do you like those two and what carts are you using. Assume a Tron Seven phono?

Hi Bill
Brief answers - The REL's are astonishingly good with the Trios, no need for any DSP interference. Car I refer you to the post on p76 of this thread from Redcars.
As my equipment list says at the bottom of my post, I'm using a Transfiguration Proteus on the Verdier. I've had the Verdier for probably 20 years now and wouldn't change it. The phono is an earlier Tron Nucleus, which I think is objectively better sounding than the Seven. The Nucleus is point to point wired and the Seven isn't, and I've changed a few components in it. Its not the last word in phono stages but I would need to spend more money than I have to improve on it.
The Garrard 401 is on a beutiful burr walnut veneer plinth but has been retired now and just sits in the loft. It was for mono duties only with a 3012 and Mijajima zero, but I do mono with the same arm as a second arm on the Verdier, which sounds better.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
My digital front-end is pretty modest because I usually just listen to vinyl.
Now that I have streaming set up in my system (yes, it's 2020 and I've never streamed music to my system before now) I have to say that it's pretty great having all this music at my fingertips. Though the difference in quality is noticeable, I'm actually surprised that some of the streamed songs sound really good.
I find myself listening to streamed music about 80% of the time now (20% vinyl) so I'm going to get a better DAC. I'm considering the Lampi Atlantic TRP or The Big Seven. Has anyone had the chance to hear these two DACs in the same system?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I find myself listening to streamed music about 80% of the time now (20% vinyl) so I'm going to get a better DAC. I'm considering the Lampi Atlantic TRP or The Big Seven. Has anyone had the chance to hear these two DACs in the same system?
Consider the Aries Cerat Helena DAC as well. Haven't heard the Big 7 but TRP is good.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
What is your streamer? Have a look at Lucas Audio Lab...his servers are really superb as we have used them in our last couple of shows and they really elevate the sound quality.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Consider the Aries Cerat Helena DAC as well. Haven't heard the Big 7 but TRP is good.
As usual, it looks like an incredible build from AC.
Right now my 'network bridge' (not sure if I'm using the right term) is a Google Chromecast Audio that has an optical out. If I stick with it I'd want a DAC with an optical input. I'm currently using an adaptor to convert the optical signal to coaxial as my DAC just has a coaxial input. I have no idea what effect this is having on the digital signal entering my DAC but I can't believe it's a good thing.
One of the things I like about the "streaming experience" is that I can control everything using my Android phone. I would not be willing to move to a system that required a PC, a laptop, a tablet, or a remote. --but that is a discussion for another time.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Hi @Exlibris. If I was in your shoes, I would look to improve my network delivery system to my DAC before worrying about buying a new one. It'll better enable you to appreciate your current DAC and identify the benefits an on loan/new one brings.

Reactions: Exlibris

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Can I cast to it from my Android phone?
(sorry for the stupid questions but I know next to nothing about streaming digital)
There are many options out there that allow this ease of use. I can run my BlueSound from a phone (or a tablet, which is my preference). If you stick with chromecast then get a top notch interface like from Empirical Audio.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
There are many options out there that allow this ease of use. I can run my BlueSound from a phone (or a tablet, which is my preference). If you stick with chromecast then get a top notch interface like from Empirical Audio.
I was reading reviews of the Bluesound and the Innuos offerings yesterday. It looks like the Bluesound NODE 2i is good value for the money.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was reading reviews of the Bluesound and the Innuos offerings yesterday. It looks like the Bluesound NODE 2i is good value for the money.
Hi is it ok to take the streamers and dac discussion to another thread, keep this to SETs and associated speakers?

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Good point. Will do.
I've moved it here:

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Sweet. Destination is also coming out with 2 new GM70 integrateds and a headphone amp. Should be interesting. The headphone amp is purported to drive Stax as well as planar, magnetostatics and traditional headphones. Their Dac, if you haven't heard it, is superlative. I'll post some videos of our Destination system once things slow down a little.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Also from power watts to flea watts, with Thomas mayer pre and 45/2a3 power amp, that can be driven with vt25 tubes, and Destination audio type 56/27 pre and 1.8 watt 45 power amp. Mixed and matched too

View attachment 69568
What is the Deon equipment. It's smart looking...not turning up in my searches.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020

Attachments

• deon..PNG
    deon..PNG
    2 MB · Views: 28

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Oh the Ideon. I was focused on amp compares using vinyl, so did not pay much attention to that

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing