SET amp owners thread

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Hi, lowering the bias is the only way I know and keep the configuration. The one gent I knew had a pair used WE 90's vintage 300b's- he had an inventory ( lucky guy).
These WE's fared quite well but still biased lower than he would of liked. I liked these biased up quite high but at that point with Russian or Chinese tubes you are into failures and early mortality. This design is at least 10-12 years old and I don't believe Allnic has a current amp in this configuration for this output tube. It is asking a lot of the 300b from the current mfrs.

In fact, Allnic have gone heavy to KT150 types and using the 300b only as a single tube per channel in more conventional config with a big drive cct. in front.

Nice sounding amps - I like to go to 1 tube per channel 211 or 845 for a little more grunt if I need it in a SE design and take the +/- on the "sound" character over the 300b. That's just me. I would call David Beetles the distributor he is very customer focused. He can ask Mr. Park if there are other options or recommended tube choices.

Best of luck.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Hi, lowering the bias is the only way I know and keep the configuration. The one gent I knew had a pair used WE 90's vintage 300b's- he had an inventory ( lucky guy).
These WE's fared quite well but still biased lower than he would of liked. I liked these biased up quite high but at that point with Russian or Chinese tubes you are into failures and early mortality. This design is at least 10-12 years old and I don't believe Allnic has a current amp in this configuration for this output tube. It is asking a lot of the 300b from the current mfrs.

In fact, Allnic have gone heavy to KT150 types and using the 300b only as a single tube per channel in more conventional config with a big drive cct. in front.

Nice sounding amps - I like to go to 1 tube per channel 211 or 845 for a little more grunt if I need it in a SE design and take the +/- on the "sound" character over the 300b. That's just me. I would call David Beetles the distributor he is very customer focused. He can ask Mr. Park if there are other options or recommended tube choices.

Best of luck.
Thank you very much for all the information!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Speaking of lasting, of the original 8 Gold Lions that I purchased, 4 have died. They lasted about 9 months. I've since been told by someone who owned the Allnic A-6000 for 10 years that the amp is hard on tubes and that it is best to set the manual bias on each tube to the lowest point in the range suggested by the manufacturer.

My Allnic friend has the amps with KR biased towards the lower end, and said "they last years"

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I have done the SIT vs. SET experiment on my midrange BG Ribbons. I use the DIY based Defisit type using the Tokin SIT as opposed to the First Watt SIT-3 (that uses the SemiSouth SIT). Sounds amazing, but the, so do the SET amps (300b, 6b4g, 6b5g, 45, 2A3). SET have elegance, black background, subtlety, SIT has really tasty intensity with absolute separation and blue-purple background. With a 26 tube gain stage, the Tokin Defisit amp is as good if not better than any SS I have heard. Between the limited production of SIT-3 and the DIY type Defisit, not many audiophiles will hear how good these devices are.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I have done the SIT vs. SET experiment on my midrange BG Ribbons. I use the DIY based Defisit type using the Tokin SIT as opposed to the First Watt SIT-3 (that uses the SemiSouth SIT). Sounds amazing, but the, so do the SET amps (300b, 6b4g, 6b5g, 45, 2A3). SET have elegance, black background, subtlety, SIT has really tasty intensity with absolute separation and blue-purple background. With a 26 tube gain stage, the Tokin Defisit amp is as good if not better than any SS I have heard. Between the limited production of SIT-3 and the DIY type Defisit, not many audiophiles will hear how good these devices are.
I'm planning on taking the SIT-3 around to a few local audiophiles to let them hear the magic.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I'm not sure what a 'blue-purple background' is but I think I want one :)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I'm not sure what a 'blue-purple background' is but I think I want one :)
Yes, sorry for the synthesia. My brain often interprets sound as color patterns.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Yes, sorry for the synthesia. My brain often interprets sound as color patterns.
One of my sons has synesthesia. It wasn't until his early twenties when he saw something about it on a documentary that he realized not everyone "sees" sounds as colors.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I'm planning on taking the SIT-3 around to a few local audiophiles to let them hear the magic.
This amp has been on my radar for a while now. I've recently been interested in getting a second amp just to have some variety. I ordered a SIT-3 this weekend and it should arrive next week. I'll give a report after it breaks-in. I think I read somewhere that it takes about 100 hours?

guf

Dec 9, 2017
San Francisco
My Sit 2 was the amp I had the longest in my system. Then a few articles came out saying how you needed to pair it with a DHT pre. So i went through many of those trying to get the best combination. I had some great ones the best being a Vinnie Rossi with PX25 eml. I then went to a 300b integrated amp and i couldn't get that sound out of my head. The next couple years I'd put the Sit 2 back in and wanted to love it as much my set tube and didn't... so it was sold. I miss it. I think at the time my speakers sounded a little hot so the 300b tamed that. I wish I had a more powerful SET amp to try with my current line up of speakers. I have since moved on to a 46 tube and even less efficient speakers, modified Altecs. And THIS sound I can't get out of my head.

Attachments

• IMG_1914 copy.jpg
    IMG_1914 copy.jpg
    879.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1915 copy.jpg
    IMG_1915 copy.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
My Sit 2 was the amp I had the longest in my system. Then a few articles came out saying how you needed to pair it with a DHT pre. So i went through many of those trying to get the best combination. I had some great ones the best being a Vinnie Rossi with PX25 eml. I then went to a 300b integrated amp and i couldn't get that sound out of my head. The next couple years I'd put the Sit 2 back in and wanted to love it as much my set tube and didn't... so it was sold. I miss it. I think at the time my speakers sounded a little hot so the 300b tamed that. I wish I had a more powerful SET amp to try with my current line up of speakers. I have since moved on to a 46 tube and even less efficient speakers, modified Altecs. And THIS sound I can't get out of my head.
I've used nothing but 300Bs and 45s for the past 20 years so I have no idea if the SIT-3 will be right for me or for my speakers. I have no intention of selling my main 300B amps.

Reactions: christoph

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I have the SIT-1 mono's on my Avantgardes. I have to say that the SIT-3 is much better.

guf

Dec 9, 2017
San Francisco
I have the SIT-1 mono's on my Avantgardes. I have to say that the SIT-3 is much better.
cool. I was wondering....they must have made a lot of them I always see them for sale on the used market.it was rare to see the 1s and 2s. I'd like to hear one.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I've used nothing but 300Bs and 45s for the past 20 years so I have no idea if the SIT-3 will be right for me or for my speakers. I have no intention of selling my main 300B amps.
I will be very curious to hear how this amp compares with your mighty Allnic.

guf

Dec 9, 2017
San Francisco
just want to give a shout out and express some gratitude, you were there to answer all my TM questions last year as i was preparing to jump in with both feet. thank you.

Reactions: christoph

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I love the speaker stands- adds a little punk to the system :)
... I have since moved on to a 46 tube and even less efficient speakers, modified Altecs. And THIS sound I can't get out of my head.

Reactions: christoph and guf

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing