SET amp owners thread

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Finally, have a look at the resale value of any ANK kits, and what does that tell you....
If the seller is upfront about the fact that the amp was built as a kit, the resale will always be low. This is why we stopped selling kits- too many of them were a rat's nest inside, and sold without the information that the amp was a kit. So this is really a red herring.

OTOH, if I were going to build an SET, I'd likely do it from scratch. You can do a lot better for the investment, if your soldering and tool skills are good.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I agree, build from scratch and you'll end up with a far better amp if you do your research and some experimentation along the way. I've rebuilt my SET amp several times over the past 15-20 years or so, ime all kits have significant flaws in both circuit design, power supply and parts quality.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
And if you don't have the soldering or circuit design skill, there are some quality options like Radu Tarta (https://simplepleasuretubeamps.com/products/) who has good knowledge of the base SET circuits and will build whatever you want for parts and a fee. I was going to build my own DHT preamp, but got scared off by long threads full of excitement that ended up with unsolvable hum and decided to have Radu do it. Sound and build quality were really great and the cost was parts plus $1600. He was happy to field many questions and debate design options until an approach was settled on.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
And if you don't have the soldering or circuit design skill, there are some quality options like Radu Tarta (https://simplepleasuretubeamps.com/products/) who has good knowledge of the base SET circuits and will build whatever you want for parts and a fee. I was going to build my own DHT preamp, but got scared off by long threads full of excitement that ended up with unsolvable hum and decided to have Radu do it. Sound and build quality were really great and the cost was parts plus $1600. He was happy to field many questions and debate design options until an approach was settled on.
Radu is a great guy. Did he design that 20A preamp in your avatar? Is it a spud design?

Reactions: cal3713

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Radu is a great guy. Did he design that 20A preamp in your avatar? Is it a spud design?
He did the build, unfortunately I've lost most of the knowledge about the decisions I made to choose the circuit aside from remembering reading some very very long DIYaudio threads and a lot of articles over on https://www.bartola.co.uk/valves/dht-preamps/. I was somewhat limited by wanting a single stage DHT design and requiring a relatively high voltage output because I use amps with no voltage gain.

If you'd like to read more about the design, you can do so here: https://simplepleasuretubeamps.com/2020/12/30/shiny-eyes-eml20a-preamplifier/. I loved it so much that I ended up modifying the build and having him put together a matching second power supply so that each channel could be powered independently. A really simple circuit with a very clean power supply.

Reactions: christoph

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Thanks for the advice re: ANK. Went ahead and grabbed a Sun Audio 300BE today from a local tech. So far, really awesome with just generic Chinese 300b's labelled "Royal" (not Sophia Royal Princess) in case anyone has any experience with them. Now I need to plot out my 300b tube purchase! There's a local guy with a stash of KRs that I might talk to. Or maybe that's overkill and I should just look for a midrange priced tube?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
He did the build, unfortunately I've lost most of the knowledge about the decisions I made to choose the circuit aside from remembering reading some very very long DIYaudio threads and a lot of articles over on https://www.bartola.co.uk/valves/dht-preamps/. I was somewhat limited by wanting a single stage DHT design and requiring a relatively high voltage output because I use amps with no voltage gain.

If you'd like to read more about the design, you can do so here: https://simplepleasuretubeamps.com/2020/12/30/shiny-eyes-eml20a-preamplifier/. I loved it so much that I ended up modifying the build and having him put together a matching second power supply so that each channel could be powered independently. A really simple circuit with a very clean power supply.
Looks like it. Spud = single stage. I've always wanted to try something built around the 20A. It probably makes for a very good preamp!

Reactions: cal3713

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Look at the Deforrest Diamond
This is a single DHT preamp (EML 30A) from a Polish company Amare Musica. Fully tube rectified and regulated...interesting!

Other interesting products from this company; however, I have tried the Entropy Diamond integrated that uses only 2 DHTs per channel (EML 20B and EML 1605) but it doesn't sound as good in practice as I was hoping...

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Looks like it. Spud = single stage. I've always wanted to try something built around the 20A. It probably makes for a very good preamp!
I love it. A huge step up from my 6sn7 linestage (a Don Sach's/Akido build), but I haven't tried any of the other commercial offerings in the space.

I would love to do some shootouts at some point, although if my pre lost, I'd probably dream about pulling the volume control from the winner and putting it into my circuit to see what impact that had. The tortuga control unit in my pre is almost certainly the weak point, although I simply can't live without remote volume control (the sound improved greatly when I switched out their LDR board for the film resistor alternative).

I wanted a Coincident line stage for a long time, but had a number of negative interactions with the company and decided I didn't want to support them anymore. Still use the Pure Reference Extremes though...

Look at the Deforrest Diamond
This is a single DHT preamp (EML 30A) from a Polish company Amare Musica. Fully tube rectified and regulated...interesting!

Other interesting products from this company; however, I have tried the Entropy Diamond integrated that uses only 2 DHTs per channel (EML 20B and EML 1605) but it doesn't sound as good in practice as I was hoping...
And yes, I've seen their products but have not heard either preamp. It did give me some confidence that I was going down a viable path with the 20A. I'd love to try some other DHT tubes, but my voltage needs are limiting...

Reactions: christoph

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I had an LDR based line stage for a while and basically think it's a gimmick. Plus it would drift over time and that's a major source of OCD. So, no thanks. If you wanted fancy, you could have a Goldpoint built up with Audio Note tantalums, but with that said, film resistors really ought to be just fine. Also, good move from the Don Sachs. It has got to be noticeably better!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I love it. A huge step up from my 6sn7 linestage (a Don Sach's/Akido build), but I haven't tried any of the other commercial offerings in the space.

I would love to do some shootouts at some point, although if my pre lost, I'd probably dream about pulling the volume control from the winner and putting it into my circuit to see what impact that had. The tortuga control unit in my pre is almost certainly the weak point, although I simply can't live without remote volume control (the sound improved greatly when I switched out their LDR board for the film resistor alternative).

I wanted a Coincident line stage for a long time, but had a number of negative interactions with the company and decided I didn't want to support them anymore. Still use the Pure Reference Extremes though...

And yes, I've seen their products but have not heard either preamp. It did give me some confidence that I was going down a viable path with the 20A. I'd love to try some other DHT tubes, but my voltage needs are limiting...
Tron actually makes a single tube amp, I think with the EML 20B , that makes around 5 watts. It works because the gain of these tubes is so high and I think it has a transformer input…would love to hear it someday.

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
My point is, ignore the Audio Note connection, there is no none. And proceed on the basis.

If the kits were actually competitive v finished products by decent brands, tube maps, DACs, then they should come clean and change the name of the company and the names of the products. My point.

It's more complicated than that. I can't speak for SET amps as though I've owned quite a few I'm not the biggest SET fan as the vast majority of them disappoint with real world speakers. I've always ended up coming back to properly-done push-pull.

The AN Kit DACs however are in general very good and strongly resemble in both design and execution the AN products of 10-15 years ago - the topology is pretty much identical and although some of the actual components are different, things like digiboards are more or less identical. AN products have moved on to some extent but it's possible to improve the kit DACs to keep pace with by replacing for example output transformers with higher end ones, stuffing with Black Gates if you can find them, upgrading I/V transformers, and so on, right up to modifying output sections to use directly heated triodes.

I would suggest it's possible to get comparable or even better performance from a modified AN kit DAC than from low or even mid-end factory AN product, indeed I know it's possible having put my own highly modified AN kit DAC against a factory AN 3.1x even as it was some years ago, and coming out on top.

(Now, after four upgrade iterations my 'kit' contains only one part from the original - the digiboard - and has a thoroughly revised power supply section and totally new output stage. It's a really superb performer, though I doubt there are all that many AN kits as highly evolved as mine - if indeed it can still be said to be AN kit-based which is probably debatable - but in terms of approach the lineage is perceptible).

I suppose the question is precisely what you are dealing with - the kits out of the box, competently assembled, are a fraction of the price of factory components. I suppose if that's what you compare then you might be disappointed. But that is most definitely not the only possible end point.

Like I say I have no experience with the SET kits but I assume these are even simpler than a DAC. So whether you'd want to start with a kit that you might end up modifying significantly, or just do a scratch build according to some recipe known to be successful elsewhere, is probably the appropriate question to ask.

Reactions: hairyderriere

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@cal3713
i am sorry to read that you had problems with your dealings with Coincident. I have always had great responses and interactions with them going back 13 years. I purchased my Frankenstein MK II 300b SET mono blocks and Statement Line stage new in 2009. After all this time my appreciation for them has only grown. Listening to them now as I type.

I am pretty sure you would really enjoy the 101D based Statement Line stage. Nonetheless I have no doubts that your new line stage is truly an excellent component. Congratulations and I hope that you enjoy it for many years to come.
Charles

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I’ve been listening to a setup I call ‘double scoop of 300b’ for a bit. It’s a 300b line driver driving a small 300b amp operating at 4 watts into the big Wisdom Audio ribbons.

Inaccurate? Likely. Underpowered? Most certainly. Microphonic? Without a doubt. Full of syrupy harmonics? I hope so. Lacking the crispy critter accurate highs and transients provided by 300 pound monoliths heaving with output devices, while providing rolled off, cotton candy peaks? Absolutely.

However, the sound is so utterly exotic, spacious, tuneful, elegant, airy and hits the audio pleasure spot so firmly on the bulls eye that, quite frankly, Scarlett, I don’t give a damn.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
At the moment it’s 160! But it’s supposed to be 100-120 but due to lack of FBs (frequency boards) it’s not possible at the moment.

Can you also play without the sub, only Altec?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing