SET amp owners thread

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
Fountain Valley, California
Just requesting all SET amp owners to mention their amps and speakers.

Thomas Mayer 45/2A3 power amp (modified by Thomas to also be able use 46)
Thomas Mayer 10Y preamp
Zu Soul Supreme speaker

This is a dream system for me, the end of road. Tone , emotion, transparency, musical flow, soundstage layering are all there.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Thomas Mayer 45/2A3 power amp (modified by Thomas to also be able use 46)
Thomas Mayer 10Y preamp
Zu Soul Supreme speaker

This is a dream system for me, the end of road. Tone , emotion, transparency, musical flow, soundstage layering are all there.

I'd love to see a picture of this set up!

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
I'd love to see a picture of this set up!

The description sounds very enticing but unfortunately my current setup in my small bedroom is not the best, so I feel a bit ashamed to post any pictures right now. I will say that due to the low power output, this was always intended to be bedroom system and regardless of the poor layout, I'm still enjoying every minute of this system. It is everything I thought it would be and more.

Here is the link from Thomas' blog on my power amp: http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-45-2a3-single-ended-amplifier.html

Here is link for my 10 preamp: http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2018/09/10y-line-preamplifier-portrait-style.html

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
SETDrugs, good to hear from you. WBF is a lonely place for Zu owners.
Only me w Definitions 4, Caesar w Druids V and you now w Soul Supremes, have gone public LOL.

I've heard Mayer amps recently and can imagine they'd be a great match w yr Zus.

Last edited:

Falcon_wizard

Feb 1, 2018
Only me w Definitions 4, Caesar w Druids V and you now w Soul Supremes, have gone public LOL.

I've heard Mayer amps recently and can imagine they'd be a great match w yr Zus.

For me, listening to music is all about the enjoyment, the pleasure, the emotion. Building and improving a system is fun, but it’s a mean to music enjoyment with a goal for the equipment to disapear and leave place to that emotion. People fully enjoying music on their system should not feel ashamed, irrespective of the equipment behind... a reason to be ashame in my view would be owning a sophisticated system and yet never be happy with it and not taking time to enjoy the music itself...

Cheers

Falcon_wizard

Feb 1, 2018
The description sounds very enticing but unfortunately my current setup in my small bedroom is not the best, so I feel a bit ashamed to post any pictures right now. I will say that due to the low power output, this was always intended to be bedroom system and regardless of the poor layout, I'm still enjoying every minute of this system. It is everything I thought it would be and more.

Here is the link from Thomas' blog on my power amp: http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-45-2a3-single-ended-amplifier.html

Here is link for my 10 preamp: http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2018/09/10y-line-preamplifier-portrait-style.html

Absolutely gorgeous amps... very nice...

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019

Spiritofmusic,

This was part of the reason I chose to go public with my system. I wanted to show support to other Zu owners and to sort of make a statement that if the rest of the ancillary components in the chain are of sufficient quality and design, that the upper Zu speakers that we have are very hard to beat in their price range.

This is especially true for the qualities that I was striving for: tone, emotion, and musicality. It turns out that Thomas has a very similar goal when designing his amps and preamps so I had to dig deep into my pockets to give this a shot. The hard part was that I never envisioned when I got into this hobby 6 years ago that I would spend this much on 2 channel audio.

Do I have any regrets? Not at all. I figured I worked hard all my life to be able have a decent job after school and being single right now was the right time to live out some of my dreams.

Will you get similar results as me with Thomas Mayer components on your Zu Definitions? This is kind of tricky because my system front end is all digital based, not analog like yours. Also as my screen name suggest, I'm a diehard SET guy. I don't listen crazy loud and my setup is in small intimate setting - my bedroom. Furthermore, my system didn't really come into its own until I added the Mayer 10y preamp. Imho, once you're set on the speakers the preamp is the most important component in the chain. The Mayer 10y really elevated the performance of my system and brought both the dac ( Yggdrasil) and power amp to a level that I didn't think was possible.

Everything just came together beautifully and I've never heard voices and instruments sound so real and natural. Every single attribute of audio that I value is all here but most importantly the tonal balance , musicality, and effortless flow to music is ultimately what clinch this feeling for me.

Happy Listening

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
For me, listening to music is all about the enjoyment, the pleasure, the emotion. Building and improving a system is fun, but it’s a mean to music enjoyment with a goal for the equipment to disapear and leave place to that emotion. People fully enjoying music on their system should not feel ashamed, irrespective of the equipment behind... a reason to be ashame in my view would be owning a sophisticated system and yet never be happy with it and not taking time to enjoy the music itself...

Cheers

Falcon wizard,

I couldn't agree more. Perfectly said. I truly believe that my system has reached that level where its just about the music , the emotion and pleasure. I can't think of a more therapeutic way to unwind and relax after a stressful day at work.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Falcon wizard,

I couldn't agree more. Perfectly said. I truly believe that my system has reached that level where its just about the music , the emotion and pleasure. I can't think of a more therapeutic way to unwind and relax after a stressful day at work.
Indeed. I was stuck in the analysing mind set listening to music for years. Now I get to take the white coat off and use my ears (and emotions) let it flow, enjoy the moment and live with the illusion. SETs can do that, not hear fit yet from solid state and have heard lots of it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
SETDrugs (I'm guessing this isn't yr real name LOL), you may take the prize for the best amplied Zus out there. You should reach out to Audiophile Bill and esp Zero Star General, who both run Mayer amps.

I'm sure I would get somewhat better results running my Definitions off Mayer, but I'm not sure his 20W 211s would quite energise my space which is somewhat larger than yours at 800 sq ft/5500 cub ft. I guess the 10Y preamp could certainly work however.

Thank you so much for confirming to me how good Zus are on the communication and musicality fronts. I'm glad I'm not the only one here who feels this way. It makes a blessed relief from all the naysayers.

Last edited:

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Line Magnetic 508ia powering Acoustic Zen Crescendos.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN

Welcome to the forum!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Line Magnetic 212G mono Blocks 30 Watts Line Magnetic 91A mono Blocks 6 Watts speakers Vaf I93s Mk2
LM 91A to be used when the Active Horn system is finished.. View attachment 48509 View attachment 48507 View attachment 48508
Just a beautiful setup Stump, love to hear your thoughts on the 212G monos compared with your previous LM SET amps. Am guessing you got these through Robert... he carries fantastic gear. Congratulations

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
SETDrugs (I'm guessing this isn't yr real name LOL), you may take the prize for the best amplied Zus out there. You should reach out to Audiophile Bill and esp Zero Star General, who both run Mayer amps.

I'm sure I would get somewhat better results running my Definitions off Mayer, but I'm not sure his 20W 211s would quite energise my space which is somewhat larger than yours at 800 sq ft/5500 cub ft. I guess the 10Y preamp could certainly work however.

Thank you so much for confirming to me how good Zus are on the communication and musicality fronts. I'm glad I'm not the only one here who feels this way. It makes a blessed relief from all the naysayers.

I think your power amp seems well suited for your setup since your Definition has an extra Zu full-range driver compared to my Supreme not to mention you have a decent size room to fill. But where I think the most cost effective way to implement the Mayer components ( if you so choose this path) is via his phono preamp and the 10Y linestage. Since you have analog front end, the Mayer 10Y is best paired with one of his Phono preamp. Since my setup is digital based, maybe Audiophile Bill or the General can correct me here but most people that invest in Mayer components that run analog front end get both his 10Y as well as one of his Phono pre. I'm sure they would make great music together and elevate any system. Just something to think about.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
SETDrugs, no need for phono, I run a Straingauge which is a "phono-less" system. But the 10Y is a good call.

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
SETDrugs, no need for phono, I run a Straingauge which is a "phono-less" system. But the 10Y is a good call.

Even better for you. I will never say anything is the best in this hobby because that's so subjective but I believe the Mayer 10y is one of the most magical components that I've been around in this hobby. Magical in terms of elevating a system to a level that you may have doubted it could reach.

My first night listening seriously to my system with 10y inserted , I was in trance with my jaws dropping in amazement and eyes wattery for most of night. Any last trepidation I may have had with my system or Soul Supreme vanished liked that. A moment of relief, joy, and musical satisfaction that I'll never forget.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread but if you have any questions about my Mayer 10y feel free to PM.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

admin1959

THE FIXER (I build websites)
Mar 27, 2010
This thread is ROCKING!. Big shout out to Bonzo75 for launching this. This is my favourite thread on WBF right now. I check it each day (I am sad). Keep the photos coming guys....

I think I will promote it again this month to the Newsletter and home page. Lets get some serious exposure for these great SET systems.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This thread is ROCKING!. Big shout out to Bonzo75 for launching this. This is my favourite thread on WBF right now. I check it each day (I am sad). Keep the photos coming guys....

I think I will promote it again this month to the Newsletter and home page. Lets get some serious exposure for these great SET systems.

Thanks admin, it is also spiritofmusic's favorite thread and he looks at it each day too now he found his Zu soulmate here

Reactions: gian60 and Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing