SET amp owners thread

carolus

Dec 20, 2013
Belgium (Brussels)
......Are the Satohorns that far forward in your room to physically time align with the horns behind (due to sheer length of the Sato)?

Fyi:
Sorry, I don't have a Sato horn ..... I build 4 units WE66A

Yes, all drivers (diafragma) are in time aligment.
A simply effective distance/angle tuning according to 2 notes "B&K Loudspeaker phase measurements & Relevants loudspeaker tests".

In concrete terms (5way full horn):
1°) From the listening point (sitting-ear-height), all diafragmas are at “equidistance” (to the millimeter).
2°) The physical placement of the low-mid horn (diaphragma) WE66A (adapted for 2 ”JBL2482) takes into account the developed horn length WE66A = 2036 mm.
3°) For the "low" (18Hz to 250Hz), the LS driver EV Patrician IV (oversized Klipsch), the placement/time aligment criteria is acceptable (not so critical or quasi time aliment).
It's music scene.
Allez, salukes.
Karel
K51OkD5YQYqcv35i1FlEWg.jpg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Fyi:

A simply effective distance/angle tuning according to 2 notes "B&K Loudspeaker phase measurements & Relevants loudspeaker tests".

1°) From the listening point (sitting-ear-height), all diafragmas are at “equidistance” (to the millimeter).
2°) The physical placement of the low-mid horn (diaphragma) WE66A (adapted for 2 ”JBL2482) takes into account the developed horn length WE66A = 2036 mm.
3°) For the "low" (18Hz to 250Hz), the LS driver EV Patrician IV (oversized Klipsch), the placement/time aligment criteria is acceptable (not so critical or quasi time aliment).
It's music scene.
Allez, salukes.
Karel
View attachment 55563

Very cool system, Karel.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Very cool system, Karel.

Karel - do you have a system thread on the forum? I don’t want to hijack this thread but would like to learn much more about your whole system including lots of details about the horns.

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also mentioned here, one of my favorites.

http://zero-distortion.org/diy-horns/

Fyi:

It's music scene.
Allez, salukes.
Karel
View attachment 55563

carolus

Dec 20, 2013
Belgium (Brussels)
Karel - do you have a system thread on the forum? I don’t want to hijack this thread but would like to learn much more about your whole system including lots of details about the horns.

@Bill
I agree.
I stay on topic (SET amp with 5 way horn)
C.f.r. the new post 664 from or charmant friend Bonzo75.

@ Bonzo75
Thanks, & positive musical (good) critics

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I use the Ayon Crossfire 3 as an integrated Amp not to generate unneccessary heat.
The Kronzilla is still quite a bit better sounding.
Incito makes almost no heat...you should try it with direct in on Ayon.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Wavac MD 572 now back in my system on the midrange ribbon. I found some lonely United Electronics 572b at auction AS IS for very reasonable price (mavens tend to price-up the Cetron 572b but ignored these). Probably circa early 60's (United Electronics built the original 572b transmitting triode). Barrel getters, which I have never seen on a 572b tube. They look NOS, fired up fine, and sound better so far than any other 572b I have tried. They are also supposed to be absurdly rugged and long lived, but, as with all things tube, I won't hold my breath. This amp sounds ridiculously good. Manages to hearken on the wonderful Lamm ML3 at a small fraction of the cost.
Wavac-572b.jpg WL-posters.jpg
Posters are original Winterland posters gifted to me by a friend in Santa Cruz. His hippy dippy female cousin is dying and he got a bunch of the Winterland posters and cards from her apartment. She had her first job at the Santa Cruz police station in the 60's, and was fired for smoking dope on the job.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Wavac MD 572 now back in my system on the midrange ribbon. I found some lonely United Electronics 572b at auction AS IS for very reasonable price (mavens tend to price-up the Cetron 572b but ignored these). Probably circa early 60's (United Electronics built the original 572b transmitting triode). Barrel getters, which I have never seen on a 572b tube. They look NOS, fired up fine, and sound better so far than any other 572b I have tried. They are also supposed to be absurdly rugged and long lived, but, as with all things tube, I won't hold my breath. This amp sounds ridiculously good. Manages to hearken on the wonderful Lamm ML3 at a small fraction of the cost.
View attachment 55565 View attachment 55566
Posters are original Winterland posters gifted to me by a friend in Santa Cruz. His hippy dippy female cousin is dying and he got a bunch of the Winterland posters and cards from her apartment. She had her first job at the Santa Cruz police station in the 60's, and was fired for smoking dope on the job.
If you ever sell it I want it!!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
If you ever sell it I want it!!
You might get your wish. The twin MD 572 in Santa Cruz and many of my other accumulated audio items will have to go soon, so that others may enjoy them rather than mouldering around my house. The twin has a slightly twisted chassis from poor shipping when I received it many years ago, but is fully functional. If you want, I can keep you posted when it is finessed and ready. It won't be expensive, but I have my reservations about shipping outside of USA.

Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You might get your wish. The twin MD 572 in Santa Cruz and many of my other accumulated audio items will have to go soon, so that others may enjoy them rather than mouldering around my house. The twin has a slightly twisted chassis from poor shipping when I received it many years ago, but is fully functional. If you want, I can keep you posted when it is finessed and ready. It won't be expensive, but I have my reservations about shipping outside of USA.
Let me know and we can discuss

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Can we see a photo of your second system, the one with the Odeon No. 38/2?

The Odeon 38/2 are now with my friend M and they sound absolutely breathtaking in his room/System :eek: :cool:

M-Pac front.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Attachments

• 4A0DC646-1881-44E5-98DC-ED6A5AAD7B39.jpeg
    4A0DC646-1881-44E5-98DC-ED6A5AAD7B39.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
At the General's
Very sexy... love that combination of colours... I feel a tad superficial but that is an awesome look. Congratulations G.

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ooh, and who's the other 2.7%?

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, no argument from me.

Reactions: Zero000

admin1959

THE FIXER (I build websites)
Mar 27, 2010
Ayon Crossfire 3 integrated amp into hORNS Universum.

As a "summer amp" because even though it gets quite hot, it is still a lot less heat than the Aries Cerat Incito preamp AND the KR Audio Kronzilla SX poweramp together ;)
Nice pics, thank you. But the Incito doesn't get hot? Warm maybe.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Nice pics, thank you. But the Incito doesn't get hot? Warm maybe.
Ok, not really hot but another piece LESS warming up the room in summer is a good start ;)

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
Coincident Frankenstein Mk-II 300B SET monoblocks driving Oris-150's utilizing the Voxativ AC-2.6 full range driver

Attachments

• Oris Horn Pix1.jpg
    Oris Horn Pix1.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Oris Horn Pix2.jpg
    Oris Horn Pix2.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 58

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing