SET amp owners thread

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com

Another look at them 2m into the room. I'm not sure this will be their final position. I'm going to try them by the front wall later today. I haven't even put them on their spikes and bases yet as I'm moving them around a lot. For those that have Odeons, is it easy to slide them around after they are mounted on the spikes and bases. I imagine that that would be asking for trouble.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Another look at them 2m into the room. I'm not sure this will be their final position. I'm going to try them by the front wall later today. I haven't even put them on their spikes and bases yet as I'm moving them around a lot. For those that have Odeons, is it easy to slide them around after they are mounted on the spikes and bases. I imagine that that would be asking for trouble.

The way you are using them now, you are more or less blocking the bass reflex channel that is exiting towards the back bottom of the enclosure :eek:
I think in your situation (hardwood floor) I would place the bottom plate on a big towel and spike the speakers to the bottom plate.
Then you can slide the whole constuction around rather easily to find the optimum position for the speakers.

I would definitely try them against the window front as well.

Reactions: Exlibris

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes, that's correct, the Allnic A-6000. I haven't tried anything lower but I'm interested in hearing a 300B SET amp with the speakers for sure.
You also use a 50w (or 60w) 300B PSET with your Odeons, is that correct?
My guess is that the woofers of the 33 and 38 would perform better with the 50w as opposed to the 8w(?)
I recall morricab and others recommending a minimum of 20w for the big Odeons.

I don't have the 38/2 anymore but I used them with KR Audio SET amps from 30 watts (KR Audio VA350 / Ayon Crossfire 3) to 50 watts (Kronzilla SX) :cool:
The new owner uses the 38/2 with 65 watts Aries Cerat Concero monos and that almost rips his house apart :eek:
A friend of mine uses his 33 also with 30 watts KR Audio VA350i integrated with excellent results.
Another friend of mine uses his 28/3 with the awesome 12 watt all-in-one Lampizator Amber3Amp :cool:

I almost forgot: the Odeon Midas you also know work wonderfully as well with the 12 watt Lampizator All-in-one Amber3Amp :D

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
I owned the Allnic A-6000 for over 10 years with Emission Labs XLS 300B and never blew a tube. The new owner is still using more or all of them today (another 2 - 3 years). They are a parallel SET and I actually did find an advantage with a non-parallel circuit if you have speakers efficient enough to tolerate the lower wattage. There is just more detail across all frequencies. At 99 dB/6 Ohm my 7.5W m311 PX25 are by far my favorite and leave me never wanting for power. (Daedalus Zeus, with 2 x 10" drivers per speaker) For a true comparison KS was willing to build PX25 version of the M-2500 push-pull but with a U52 rectifier, not often done in this circuit design. They are a good balance of qualities between SET/PP with more power when speakers require them. This borne the PX25 model amplifier, which is my favorite of the three offered (PX25, 300B, KT150).

So by my assessment, again completely subjective, m311>M-2500>A-6000. A-6000 are fantastic amplifiers. Hard to find today but deals can be found on the used market. hifishark.com is an excellent resource. Allnic gear can not be re-tasked to different voltages - just too cost-prohibitive.

Regarding the A-6000 - each 300B is individually biased. No need for matched pairs. I biased them to the left (lower current) mark and tubes seem to last. Just because there are 8, I would not be hesitant to use any expensive tube. The Takasuki were also great. Those amps had 4-12 hours of daily use for over a decade. The tubes seem to last and the amplifier ended up being one of the cheapest to maintain. The quality build of Allnic last without issues.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I owned the Allnic A-6000 for over 10 years with Emission Labs XLS 300B and never blew a tube. The new owner is still using more or all of them today (another 2 - 3 years). They are a parallel SET and I actually did find an advantage with a non-parallel circuit if you have speakers efficient enough to tolerate the lower wattage. There is just more detail across all frequencies. At 99 dB/6 Ohm my 7.5W m311 PX25 are by far my favorite and leave me never wanting for power. (Daedalus Zeus, with 2 x 10" drivers per speaker) For a true comparison KS was willing to build PX25 version of the M-2500 push-pull but with a U52 rectifier, not often done in this circuit design. They are a good balance of qualities between SET/PP with more power when speakers require them. This borne the PX25 model amplifier, which is my favorite of the three offered (PX25, 300B, KT150).

So by my assessment, again completely subjective, m311>M-2500>A-6000. A-6000 are fantastic amplifiers. Hard to find today but deals can be found on the used market. hifishark.com is an excellent resource. Allnic gear can not be re-tasked to different voltages - just too cost-prohibitive.

Regarding the A-6000 - each 300B is individually biased. No need for matched pairs. I biased them to the left (lower current) mark and tubes seem to last. Just because there are 8, I would not be hesitant to use any expensive tube. The Takasuki were also great. Those amps had 4-12 hours of daily use for over a decade. The tubes seem to last and the amplifier ended up being one of the cheapest to maintain. The quality build of Allnic last without issues.

I am not surprised you had that preference, low power SETs will sound better than higher power SETs especially from the same manufacturer provided they can drive the speaker. Allnic A5000 (25 watts) and A6000 (50 watts) are clearly for those who require more power, and quite musical. I would prefer elrog and KR 300b to the EML though.

Reactions: jespera

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
The way you are using them now, you are more or less blocking the bass reflex channel that is exiting towards the back bottom of the enclosure :eek:
I think in your situation (hardwood floor) I would place the bottom plate on a big towel and spike the speakers to the bottom plate.
Then you can slide the whole constuction around rather easily to find the optimum position for the speakers.

I tried them all over the room today (with the bases and the spikes). I ended up with them right back where they started (and a bit of a sore back) :)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Here is my latest voyage into the madness of rare SET:
8DC84BC6-39A9-4BDE-AC47-5208286125BD.jpeg

antelion

Feb 6, 2017
so, rather late to the party but here you go:
As i somehow end up with more gear than necessary to get music in the room it is any permutation of

TapX/Bent - Kondo KSL M7 - Java Triple Shot- none
into
Berning Siegfried (either Elrog or Takatsuki bottled)- First Watt SIT-1 - S.A. Lab Hercules SE
into
Horning Hybrid Agathon - Quad 57 (not so often as the non SET amps work better here) - still woking on the WvL field coils IMG_0218.jpg

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com

Here they are with the bases and spikes in what I assume will be their permanent location.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I tried them all over the room today (with the bases and the spikes). I ended up with them right back where they started (and a bit of a sore back) :)

Good to hear you found a good sounding position :cool:
And despite your sore back, it is important that you tried all possible positions early on because later you might not find the motivation to do that again after being comfortable with the position ;)

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Has anyone tried or own Whammerdyne 2a3 amps?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@christoph. You must have depleted your weekly "Like" quota in one day sir. :D

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
@christoph. You must have depleted your weekly "Like" quota in one day sir. :D
I didn't know there was a quota for likes:D
I thought I'm fine if I stay away from explicit equivocal stuff ;)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I didn't know there was a quota for likes:D
I thought I'm fine if I stay away from explicit equivocal stuff ;)
I was just teasing you. :)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Yes, that's correct, the Allnic A-6000. I haven't tried anything lower but I'm interested in hearing a 300B SET amp with the speakers for sure.
You also use a 50w (or 60w) 300B PSET with your Odeons, is that correct?
My guess is that the woofers of the 33 and 38 would perform better with the 50w as opposed to the 8w(?)
I recall morricab and others recommending a minimum of 20w for the big Odeons.
I'd also like to try an amp that sounds even more powerful than the Allnic A-6000. Right now my system makes all of my previous systems sound like toys. I'm really loving the dynamics and hugeness of the presentation and find myself wanting even more of it. I suspect that a different amp would do much better replicating the sound of a drum kit and much better at driving the woofers of the Odeons.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I'd also like to try an amp that sounds even more powerful than the Allnic A-6000. Right now my system makes all of my previous systems sound like toys. I'm really loving the dynamics and hugeness of the presentation and find myself wanting even more of it. I suspect that a different amp would do much better replicating the sound of a drum kit and much better at driving the woofers of the Odeons.
You could always bi-amp ;)
Your Allnic A-6000 on the horn section and something beefy for the woofer :cool:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Glad to hear that choice is working out so well! They are powerful speakers indeed. I would try to stick to SET if I were you but a good hybrid might also be a reasonable compromise. I don't think PP tubes for the most part will sound the best...just my feeling on this. Big bottle SETs will have more grunt than parallel type 300B...at least that has been my firm experience so far. 300B push pull in Class A (if you wanted PP with all tube) could be a reasonable option like from Canary Audio (but the bigger ones). Of course Aries Cerat works like a charm :cool:.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing